topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What area should DonationCoder.com focus on most in 2006?

More Reviews
52 (28.6%)
More New Software Program Releases
71 (39%)
More Discounts/Giveaways
24 (13.2%)
More Updates of Existing Software
30 (16.5%)
Something else (post below)
5 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 181

Last post Author Topic: Jan/Feb Poll - What Area Should DonationCoder.com Focus on Most in 2006?  (Read 25739 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
If you had to pick one area that you would like to see us focus more on for 2006, what would it be?
And please do post a reply to the this message telling us in more detail about your desires for the site in 2006, and any new features you'd like to see.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:18 AM by mouser »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In 2006, I'd like to see
- more improvements of existing programs (I'm totally satisfied right now!)
- more Coding Snacks
- more discounts
- more nice discussions in the forum
- more nice discussions in the IRC channel (read my signature)
- more forum users
- more DC account users ( https://www.donation...index.php?topic=1261 )
- more users getting involved with great programs like https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1167.0 and https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1201.0

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree with BrotherS' first statement: more improvements to existing DC programs.... not saying you're slacking mouser!  I understand you've got lots of things going on.  But, you asked!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i added that as an option in the poll, anticipating such votes.
and yes i hear you guys - 10 half finished programs are not as good as 1 finished one.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While my selfish ways will say that I want more free software and discounts, I really feel that that is not what makes this place as valuable as the other more important things.  The two things that I love here are the great reviews of software categories, and the custom software coming out of here.

By the way, I still feel like the computer world is ready for a robust addressbook software, like I mentioned in my other post.  (hint, hint).

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

More new software,i wanna see DC lay claim on the must have apps,stuff that ranks up there with foobar,winrar,etc.
Which in my mind DC already satisfies with it's in house and off-site contributions.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
More new software,i wanna see DC lay claim on the must have apps,stuff that ranks up there with foobar,winrar,etc.
Which in my mind DC already satisfies with it's in house and off-site contributions.
Keep in mind that mouser asked for suggestions for 2006, not 2007, 2008, ...
8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
here's an offer: i'll write a custom program for every new review someone writes :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
here's an offer: i'll write a custom program for every new review someone writes :)

Here's my reponse:  I'll write 10 reviews if you write an addressbook software called "The Greatest Addressbook Ever"

Seriously...but I'll write the reviews anyway :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
writing a review of address book programs would be a good way to discover the best and lay out a blueprint of what you think the best such tool should look like, missing features, etc.  it would be a service to users and might help get those features implemented.  having such a comprehensive review would be a good first step before a programmer here embarked on writing a new address book app.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
writing a review of address book programs would be a good way to discover the best and lay out a blueprint of what you think the best such tool should look like, missing features, etc.  it would be a service to users and might help get those features implemented.  having such a comprehensive review would be a good first step before a programmer here embarked on writing a new address book app.

OK, that's a good idea.  Someone here already did a pretty good review on A-book, which is one of the best out there.  I'll try to do a personal mini shootout of addressbook programs and conclude with the features that I feel are ideal for a great addressbook.  (as a sidenote, combining features from Screenshot Captor and FindandRun Robot would be a good foundation for an addressbook program...I'll explain later in an appropriate thread).

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone...How about
1)A section on new comers Introducing themselves and getting to know other members.
2) A section of Beta programs to be Beta tested where Beta testers can give their views and reviews, report bugs ect to assist developers perfecting software....
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
as for #1:
here's the get to know each other thread, i'm making it sticky now:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=124.0

as for #2:
i think this is an interesting idea.. maybe we can make a child board under "general software discussion" for betatesting..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:11 AM by mouser »

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That would be great...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well I am a nubbie to blogs/posts/whatever it is called.  I would also like to see new programs built from the ground up.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
More Reviews.

So I can tell people to "go to donationcoder.com, they've got reviews so you will know what to pick"

dingus

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • what u lukin at
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well...EVERYTHING of course  :)

I like the newsletter and it's layout.......wouldn't mind seeing more "stuff" in it
The tailless fox preaches taillessness

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
*more* stuff in the newsletter!??!
..[mouser faints].

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1. Updates (NB FARR/MR)
2. Reviews

:Thmbsup:

normww

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd like to see software that is "out of the box."  There are ten decent email programs and an equal number in conventional categories.  How about looking for items that either combine functionality in a novel way or are a truely new approach to various computing tasks.  It goes without saying that any program should have an interface so obvious that one can use it immediately even if the more powerful functionality is a level down which should be explain in crystal clear terms. 

Some programs have documentation that is so abstruse or convoluted one needs a help file to understand the help file.

Best,
Norm

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I always enjoy reading a well written review of a given product, preferably shareware products. Kudos to shareware authors and reviewers!

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everybody, my first post here
(and a late entry to the poll)

I'd like to see more reviews (although that was a tough choice), especially file managers (there are *so* many, tough to try them all thoroughly).
I like the concept to have an in-depth representation of one program (the one "pick" or "winner") while giving an additional overview of the pros and cons of the competitors. I can't remember having seen that combination elsewhere.
But I have some gripes with the reviews, which I wanted to express for some time:
You should be very cautious regarding the quality of the review. The two reviews here that I was most interested in over the last time was e-mail clients and archivers, and both reviews were very interesting to read. But both of the reviews had major flaws: First, both added major entries afterwards, which should have been there in the first place. And they had other major shortcomings: The mail clients review lacked a closer look at IMAP, which I find very important, and it's hard to find a good client for (esp. now that Mulberry's gone). And the archivers review was heavily biased towards RAR creation, a format that (in its newer variant) is strictly proprietary and by definition cannot be created by another archiver. This could only give one winner, WinRAR.
So reviews should give a better overview of all the competition from the start and the major funtionality to be expected from the competitors.
Otherwise, I appreciate the work of the reviewers very much and still think they did a great job (oh, and don't forget to add the name of the reviewer).

Alex

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site alxwz.
i think your points are both well taken.

im guessing that zaine would say of the archive review that winrar would not have won if it was defficient in any of the non-rar features- it's only because winrar excels at everything plus has rar format that allowed it to win.  however i share your much less optimistic take on the rar format, and i would agree that from my perspective i would not give it the weight had i been writing the review myself.  but then everyone has their differences in views of what's important..

regarding the email reviews - it's so hard to avoid missing some programs, there are just so many in every category, but you're right, we need to do more of a group effort to make sure the reviews have covered all the programs before they go live.  the problem here is similar to the problem with IMAP, which is simply that the reviews take a huge amount of effort and time and the reviewer isn't always an expert in all areas.  again i think if we try to make the reviews more of a group effort we can try to fill in some of these gaps.

one thing we are starting to do which will make things a little easier is top focusing so much on one winner - but trying to focus more broadly on the top tier of programs and the pros and cons of those and who they would appeal to, which should make it a little easier to keep the reviews up to date.

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not so sure it would be of any advantage to do more of a standard "comparative" review instead of focussing on the winner. This format is what makes these reviews kind of special.

Yes, this is prone to be controversial, and fans of some programs (actually, I'm partially biased towards Squeez as an archiver, which was reason behind some of my remarks) might take it personally. But maybe both the range of programs reviewed and the relevant featureset for a review should be discussed more thoroughly among members before making a review public.

Having said that, maybe it's not adequate for me as a perfect newbie to this round to give advice about what discussion was and will be among members before these and future reviews. :-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the *intention* of our reviews will not change - to help readers determine which program is best for them.  many reviews seem to just look at one program and say, it's good, great, bad, or look at a few programs and say here they are.

our reviews will continue to be written as an effort to help people figure out which program is BEST, and whether they should make a purchase or use a free program.

however, i think we are going to be less doctrinaire about picking only a SINGLE winner when there is a top tier of close candidates.  if there are a few which are top tier candidates which different users might have different preferences for, we are going to try to reflect this, rather than trying too hard to pick a single winner.