topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Where did your DC user I.D come from?  (Read 49610 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where did your DC user I.D come from?
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53 PM »
turns out he was a shape shifting, gender changing god.
Not to mention a backstabbing coward - not really the most flattering god from Norse mythology :P

Maybe not flattering. But readily recognized - and often respected in much the way you would a "worthy adversary."

Loki's role as a tempter, prankster, and manipulator is absolutely crucial in the framework of most mythologies.

There's always someone that needs to go around dissing the gods and generally screwing up the divine plan for things. How else could you account for why so many things always seem to go wrong in the world? Good thing we get somebody like Loki to blame when bad things happen. Because if we didn't, we'd have to blame Odin for either being incompetent or malicious.

And supreme deities, like Odin, usually didn't take too kindly to people feeling that way about them. :'(

Similar mythic entities can be found in most cultures. Take a look at the North American Indian's Coyote, the Aztec Huehuecoyotl, the Hindu Krishna (or even a certain well known serpent) to see the shape-shifting Trickster and Adversary in yet another of his/her/its many manifestations.

Lots more examples here if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia...._in_various_cultures

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:58 PM by 40hz »

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59 PM »
So my role on DC is to be blamed for anything bad that happens? Hmm I knew I had a meaning in life :P
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • MIS -- Management on Steroids
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39 PM »
OK, here's mine.

I played Bass Clarinet in my high school marching band.  L2 was the designator for my position in the "drill" (all the formations on the field) my senior year.

My other ID (The one for the really important stuff wwitthoff1  stems from the old days of *cough* AOL *cough* w is for my first name william my middle name is witthoff and since AOL wanted screen names to have a number in them (go figure) 1 was my choice.
-No one instrument is more important than the other.  All are needed for the band to play.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2009, 01:44 AM »
At the point when I finally broke down and started using credit cards (and later, debit cards), signing my name seemed superfluous. It finally occurred to me the readers couldn't distinguish my name from anything else. I began signing Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, depending on my mood.

I use credit cards less than a dozen times a year, these days. Debit cards are another story, so Elmer Fudd is the norm. As I've gotten older, I morphed that to OldElmerFudd. It's one of my favorite nyms/user I.D.'s.

The avatar is one of my best friends. :Thmbsup:
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2009, 03:47 AM »
Mine comes from the work of Roger Zelazny, the second Amber series, where the main character, some kind of magical computer genius is called.... Merle.  Since it's used fairly often on forum, websites, etc., I have added 1 or one.  In French, it is also pronounced as Merlin, the well known wizard...
.merle1.

cuggie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 05:14 AM »
My Grandfather gave me the name "cuggie" because of a sound I kept making as a baby.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 06:09 AM »
My first nick to sign sourcecodes was Catweazle as I started coding on a Sinclair ZX81 and later on C64 & Amiga. In 1991 I founded with a friend a demogroup on Amiga called Crush. The productivity of most members wasn´t good enough and the group died. So I decided to use the name alone dropping Catweazle.

ToxMox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25 AM »
The story of ToxMox begins over 20 years ago...

Back in 7th grade my best friend got me heavily into the BBS scene.  In one of my math books someone had scrawled the following phrase in pencil:  "Sight unseen. Sound unheard. Who could it be but The Hing Hoo Bird!"

Thinking this was hilarious I decided to use The Hing Hoo Bird as my handle.  My best friend was The Atomic Scientist.

Within a year we both wanted cooler sounding names.  We started combining harmless things with nasty things and our new nicknames were born:  Me: Toxic Marshmallow.  Him:  Regurgitated Fluff.

We started a little digital art group called RAD (Radioactive Artistic Designers) and released 8 RADDEMOs featuring our creations.

At this point we merged with another bigger art group called SDA (Silicon Dream Artists) and became Senior Staff members.  Things were moving fast.  Shortly thereafter we merged into iCE (Insane Creators Enterprise) and became Senior Staff.

Years later when I was in college we used to chill on #ice on EFNET on IRC all the time.  Another senior staff member Friar Tuck got sick of calling me Toxic Marshmallow and came up with the shorter ToxMox and it has stuck ever since.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:28 AM by ToxMox »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53 AM »
So my role on DC is to be blamed for anything bad that happens? Hmm I knew I had a meaning in life :P

Yup. Got the serpent, the cup, and the girl all ready and waiting should that happen. ;D

cappydawg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2009, 01:15 PM »
Well my 2yr  old cockerpoo's name is Cappy and his nickname is Cappydawg so I just adopted for a user name.  I like it.!!  :P

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Sazzen is the name of the Vendaryan god's scribe. I've been doing a little writing. So . . .

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 05:34 PM »
I should go about a name change :P
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 06:34 PM »
One of the locals called me techidave one day.  Dave being my first name and techi coming because I am the computer tech at the local school district.

I was givin the nickname of Jed back in jr hi school a long time ago.  a few of my classmates still call me that more than 40 years later.

I like mouser's fictional story... not sure I could top that one!   ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24 PM »
Many people (here and elsewhere) think that Armando is my real name -- it's not.

While I was working on my masters, in 2003, we invited a famous theatre guy : Armand Gatti. Quite a man...

At the time, just to make my friends laugh a bit, I created an hyperbolized Italian version of the character. And... Armando was born.

When I had to sign in here, at DC, the character came back to my mind... and voilà.

The avatar comes from <a href="http://en.wikipedia..../La_Linea_(TV_series)">La Linea</a>, and Italian animated series... I thought it was fitting.

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 11:44 PM »
I'll give my go on the fictional story..

It all started back in the day.. During 'Nam.  I was an elite soldier, one of the best.  But the Vietnamese just seemed better.  There was no way in hell I'd survive with how good these guys were.  I came up with a plan, lets call it "Bad ass plan #1 (Bad ass plan #2 and #3 were made too, but lets say, they sucked)  Well back to bad ass plan #1, my plan was to put on a wig and make up, and pretend I was a girl.  I would sneak into those bastards bunkers and woo them with my good lucks and long beautiful blonde hair. When I got them all lured I dropped a grenade and ran like hell.  Like I said, its a bad ass plan!  Day 7 - I began my plan, one of those bastards tried to kiss me! I dropped the grenade and ran like hell and it worked! Their bunker went up in flames! It was amazing.  Through out the war I continued this plan.  It continued to work and out came the name "Loki". Due to the fact I changed my gender, deceived them, and ran like a coward.   I must have killed millions!  The 15, well that comes from how many I killed! Yeah I was a little surprised to realize I only killed 15.. :(.  Most of the time they ran like cowards too and survived!  I later became know as "Loki the dumb ass" but what the hell kind of name is that?!  But that is my story of how I became Loki15.  Now you all have heard my story.  I hope you appreciated reading this!

I can't say I did too well, but I lack an imagination :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41 AM »
At the point when I finally broke down and started using credit cards (and later, debit cards), signing my name seemed superfluous. It finally occurred to me the readers couldn't distinguish my name from anything else. I began signing Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, depending on my mood.

I use credit cards less than a dozen times a year, these days. Debit cards are another story, so Elmer Fudd is the norm. As I've gotten older, I morphed that to OldElmerFudd. It's one of my favorite nyms/user I.D.'s.
-OldElmerFudd (June 30, 2009, 01:44 AM)

HAHAHA!! I've only seen that one other time, but I think the whole concept is hilarious.

Whenever my father was successful at deer hunting, of course the hunting-is-a-great-excuse-to-drink-beer-in-the-woods crowd would ask him where he bagged such a prize.
He would soberly reply "Notellum creek" and go about his business, which would of course cause the interrogator to slowly nod in bewilderment "No... Tellum... creek... Yeah, ok. I thank I bin thar once..."
 ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07 PM »
I should go about a name change :P

Never! Loki15 is a great forum handle. :Thmbsup:

choicefresh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Edvard, thanks for that link! I read the stories a long time ago and enjoyed them, but then I forgot the website.

My username originates from a while back, when I was first getting interested in the Internet and my friend was helping me sign up for Neopets  :P

I couldn't think of a username, so he asked me what my favorite restaurant was, and I answered Fresh Choice. So he suggested Choicefresh, and it's catchy so I use it for most websites nowadays.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I used to play a lot of dominion. icekin is one of the races that I used to play all the time. I've stopped playing dominion 7 years ago, but the have kept the username since.

yogi22

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 09:53 PM »
My last (and, most enjoyable) posting in the Canadian Air Force was with 414 "Black Knight" Squadron. For reasons lost in the mists of antiquity, the Squadron pilots have used the callsign Yogi. I was assigned "Yogi 22", and used it on innumerable flights over Canada and USA, in "The World's Greatest Jet"**
kk

**T-33
Ken Kennedy
London, ON