topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google demonstrates new communication platform "WAVE": mail, chat , wiki, ..  (Read 54863 times)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like Google Wave will be able to to "everything" instantly. Somehow I got the impression that perhaps the dumbed down protocols (twitter) might be more successful than the complex ones.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2817,2347795,00.asp

"......What is Google Wave? Think of an open-source version of Gmail constructed via instant messaging. To start a wave, two users start what is essentially an instant-message session, which can be archived as a conversation. Other users can then be invited to join each wave or conversation, and there's even a "playback" feature to track the process of the conversation. Google also said it intends Wave to be a platform as well as a protocol, with the appropriate tools and extensions for each.

In fact, it might not even be accurate to call it a reinvention of e-mail. Google executives tied the instant-message/e-mail model to real-time document collaboration, even search, and extended it to the Web and to blogs.  ................."

http://bits.blogs.ny...-collaboration-tool/

"..... Google Wave is an application running in a Web browser that creates a shared online desktop where two or more users can interact easily. They can exchange messages like they would do in e-mail or instant messaging conversation. They can share and edit rich documents that include formatted text, images and graphics. They can also drag-and-drop simple applications called widgets into a Wave to, for example, play a game together. And they can save and publish any Wave resulting from their collaboration to the Web. ...."

challenging facebook?
http://www.pcworld.c...ork_oversharing.html
" ...  One of the problems with Facebook is that most of the things you share through it go to everybody you have friended, whether those people are relatives, tennis buddies, coworkers, or your boss. But few people want to share everything with everyone they know. The stereotypical example, of course, is posting pictures of weekend debauchery and having your boss see them. But it's not just a matter of being unintentionally embarrassed. Sometimes you come across a video you know your friends will love, but your mom and dad just won't get the joke. Or you want to share a work-related link with professional colleagues, but know that your friends will be utterly bored with it. ..."

The official info/video from Google:
http://wave.google.com/                     The video seems to be down atm.
http://wave.google.c...help/wave/about.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:01 PM by Lutz_ »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Must have some Firefly fans among the developers.

"Get on the Cortex and send out a wave" was a common bit of dialog in the series.

In case you missed the show: 8)

The Cortex is a complex interplanetary network comprised of nodes and access points. In general, you can locate someone within a ship's orbit via node tracking - but from there, unless they are using landlines to connect, it's generally very difficult to pinpoint someone's location with only a Cortex trace.

A wave is an real time or recorded audio-visual transmission sent over the Cortex. Full audio and visual waves are generally only available within major Alliance systems. Once a spaceship has left a major system, or is traveling in a system too unimportant and poor to have a Cortex beacon, the sender must resort to more primitive means of communications.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Firefly quotes sound exactly right.  Wonder how long it will take until Google runs the universe?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This looks interesting, normally I am sceptic but this... well as I said, it looks interesting.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
just finished watching the video presentation. really cool, makes current online communication methods look prehistoric.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
It seems to have the potential to change how we normally do a lot of things online.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like adobe connect which the army has been using for a few years now https://www.dco.dod.mil

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It seems to have the potential to change how we normally do a lot of things online.
Agreed. I think Wave has the potential to revolutionise online communication, particularly business communications. The potential for productivity improvements using the document collaboration features, for example, are amazing.

But...it does mean that everyone in the business (or everyone who needs to be involved in a conversation) needs a fairly high degree of computer literacy. And that's still a problem in a lot of businesses. There are still many employees who can just about manage to send and receive email, but that's it. And in a world where people just endlessly swap around Word documents for review, you can get away with that.

But using Wave requires a familiarity with the way computers work. All those employees who shrug their shoulders and say "I'm just not very good with computers" will find themselves under a lot of pressure to change their attitudes...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After seeing the demo/youtube video, it didn't look that difficult. And I know the real hallmark of a professional is to make whatever he/she is doing appear to look easy...but still.

Concept wise it looks and feels easier in day to day use than having to "get" a mail program in combination with a word processor (or any other part of an office suite)...but that could be me. Then again, some time ago I did spent 2 hours (at least!) to let people grasp the concept of a virtual drive together with their PC game. And those were 16-year old's I'm afraid to add. Some people just don't want to "get" anything more from a computer than the bare essentials required for their work or game. 

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I watched it but I have not seen anything interesting or awesome. All those things they have demostrated have been around in this form or that form. It is just centralized in Wave.  Just look at IRC protocol, it has been around for long time. It offers realtime, multiple communication  as well. 

As usual personally I do not care about anything google because they just take  some other people`s ideas and spend big money wrap it in a new package, spend money on advertising and watch people drool. Even the translation feature is not that impressive, most of the IDEs (or free letmetype) have similar code matching features, it happens to be in realtime in wave. They are probably checking against a giant database of daily conversations. Although that kind of query speed can be impressive as it is.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Agreed. I think Wave has the potential to revolutionise online communication, particularly business communications. The potential for productivity improvements using the document collaboration features, for example, are amazing.

But...it does mean that everyone in the business (or everyone who needs to be involved in a conversation) needs a fairly high degree of computer literacy. And that's still a problem in a lot of businesses. There are still many employees who can just about manage to send and receive email, but that's it. And in a world where people just endlessly swap around Word documents for review, you can get away with that.

But using Wave requires a familiarity with the way computers work. All those employees who shrug their shoulders and say "I'm just not very good with computers" will find themselves under a lot of pressure to change their attitudes...

I got the complete opposite impression from the video. It looks as simple as what most people are used to these days. Looks about as complex as web-based e-mail (or Twitter/Facebook) but even simpler with lots of drag and drop support.

I'm thoroughly impressed.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
I just got my Google Wave account... anybody want to wave with me ? (ha! ha!)

Sandbox Wave account name: [email protected]
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I'd love to, but I haven't received an invite yet :(

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Me neither. How did you get yours?
When did you put in your application, and what did you say there?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IIRC, I registered on the day it was launched, back in may.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The crowd of eager participants has grown with one person....me.  :)

With GMail you got a certain amount of invites to send around. Don't they have something similar now with Wave?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unfortunately not. We're given a regular account and a test account. The test account seems limited. Public waves are not visible, only private ones.

First impressions:
1- When too many people participate in a wave, it becomes very difficult to follow.
2- Anybody can edit what you wrote, which is not what I expected
3- Hard to see what's new in a wave
4- bug: Marking a wave as read does not always stick
5- live-refresh is generally working well for the content pane, but intermittent for the wave list pane
6- Drag-drop images does not work (FF 3.0 and in Chrome)
7- When editing, the cancel button is not enabled
8- No flat view. I generally like threaded views, but a flat option helps in some situations
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:33 AM by PPLandry »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wave is going to be integrated with other services of Google ?

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Just got a "You've been invited..." message from Google... but it was for Google Voice. DOH!  :(

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
got mine!

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
I'd really like to have an invite, if someone has one to give. I'm very curious at it. I filled the form but the chosen are a few.
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Me too. I signed up for an invite a few months ago and still nothing... except a Google Voice invite. :)

EDIT: Spelling fix.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:36 PM by Deozaan »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
Can the current Wave users invite others?

If so, urlwolf will get a PM  :D
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm really curious about this... If anyone has any spare invites, I'd gladly take one ;)