topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get  (Read 59040 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 02:44 AM »
Nice choice. :Thmbsup:

gogogadgetscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Mechanical engineer who has inexplicable knowledge
    • View Profile
    • GoGoGadgetScott's Site
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 08:17 AM »
Thanks for the post :D Ordered 2-for-1 Super Talent Pico from newegg.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Looks like you've already ordered, but I need to report my negative experience with the supertalent pico. Mine is too big for most USB sockets. It requires lots of force to push it in, and sometimes pliers to pull it back out. I broke the chain trying to remove it from a computer at church. After using it in a port for a while, the port bends to fit it more easily, but then other devices experience intermittent connections on that port. I wound up buying a 2" USB M - USB F adapter that I keep it in, removing the size advantage completely.

Eric

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Looks like you've already ordered, but I need to report my negative experience with the supertalent pico. Mine is too big for most USB sockets. It requires lots of force to push it in, and sometimes pliers to pull it back out. I broke the chain trying to remove it from a computer at church. After using it in a port for a while, the port bends to fit it more easily, but then other devices experience intermittent connections on that port. I wound up buying a 2" USB M - USB F adapter that I keep it in, removing the size advantage completely.

Eric
Interesting...I did read that it was a tight fit. 

noutters

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I've been using a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium 4Gb for a couple of years now and it never let me down . The hull is all metal, so no problem having it in your pocket: you can't bend it and can't crush it. Still its shape is smooth so it does not hurt.
Read/write speeds are not the best on the market, but it is still ok for a regular use.

First thing I did on my cruzer was to remove U3 and reformat to FAT. Strangely, I noticed that the read/write speed was faster in FAT than FAT32, so I use it. :)

I renamed the drive in Windows with my name and international cell-phone number. My visit card is also stored at the root of the drive as a vcf file. Should I lose the drive, it's easy to contact me and return it.

I use a portable version of Truecrypt onboard. Most of the 4Gb are occupied by an encrypted file. Mounting this file as a drive is easy. I wrote and compiled the following AHK program that starts with an autorun file:

-*-*-*- Start of code -*-*-*-
#SingleInstance,Force
#Persistent
SetBatchLines,-1

Loop, read, MEP.ini
{ if a_index = 1
   {
      PreferredDrive = %A_LoopReadLine%
   }
   if a_index = 2
   {
      PathToTrueCrypt = %A_LoopReadLine%
   }
   if a_index = 3
   {
      PathToVolume = %A_LoopReadLine%
   }
}
Drives = D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z

IfNotExist, %PreferredDrive%:\
   {
      Drives = %PreferredDrive%
   }

Loop, parse, Drives, `,
{
    IfNotExist, %A_LoopField%:\
    {
       Run, %PathToTrueCrypt% /q background /l%A_LoopField% /m rm /v "%PathToVolume%"
       TrayTip,, Mounting drive "%A_LoopField%:",10
       sleep,10000
       exitapp
       }
}
-*-*-*- End of code -*-*-*-

MEP.ahk should be used together with the file mep.ini that contains:
line 1: the letter of your preferred drive letter to mount the encrypted container file (for example F)
line 2: the absolute path to truecrypt.exe
line 3: the absolute path to the encrypted container file
Running MEP ensures that the encrypted container file is always mounted as drive F. If it is not available, a free drive letter is automatically found as mounting point. That is very convenient when you have many network drives mounted on your system.

That's it for my five cents! :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Ok, thanks for clearing that up!  So...if i understand you correctly, you're saying the 4 GB is too small, I might as well get 16 GB?

Purely a personal choice, I keep approximately 5.2 GB of software, and 6.7 GB (currently) of general graphics and documents, on mine at any time, and I deal with a lot of graphics, as I reate and deliver presentations.
As software gets larger, and the files we take with us do the same, we should always be looking forward.

I have used this OCZ drive for some time, it is shorter than some and a little thicker than others, there is always the possibility of losing the lid, but that is true of most.
I consider it a plus, and some do not, but from a safety stand point, you can not miss the obnoxious blinking LED when information is being transferred.

I find the transfer to be incredibly fast (transfer of 12GB in 15 minutes), but this may be reduced by scanning/Anti-Virus software.

4GB may be adequate for you, but I would not pay the local store prices at any rate.
Would I recommend a larger drive; Yes
Most of the IT pro's I communicate with advise the same.
At least 8GB.
It will greatly depend on how much you transfer, and how much you keep on the drive.

I have found, personally, that 4GB is always adequate until you need more.
If you are going for 4GB, get a DVD rewritable, and there is your 4GB, albeit slower, but price justified.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Another thing to consider is do you want to buy it now with the USB 3.0 standard due out so soon?  It might take a while for the tech to propagate, sure, but it will be faster (that you can pretty much guarantee) and it should be backward compatible as well IIRC.  Just a thought...
Is that really going to be much of an issue? USB2 is 480mbit, and enve though it's hard reaching the full 60mbyte/s sustained through USB, isn't that plenty bandwidth for pendrives? How fast are the fastest now, anyway?
- carpe noctem

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Another thing to consider is do you want to buy it now with the USB 3.0 standard due out so soon?  It might take a while for the tech to propagate, sure, but it will be faster (that you can pretty much guarantee) and it should be backward compatible as well IIRC.  Just a thought...
Is that really going to be much of an issue? USB2 is 480mbit, and enve though it's hard reaching the full 60mbyte/s sustained through USB, isn't that plenty bandwidth for pendrives? How fast are the fastest now, anyway?

About 30MB/s IIRC - it's the write speed that's the killer ATM, usually about half, (if you're lucky), that.

Actually, considering I've seen external USB2 HDD's hit a sustained 25MB/s reading and around 20MB/s writing, Flash Drives are pretty crap.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:09 PM by 4wd »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 10:58 PM »
(Talking about USB3...)

It depends on the ultimate published spec.  If it is purely a faster interface and that is all, then you are right.  However, if there are other technical advances, these MAY make a difference.  I do know either way it will be designed for backward compatibility, so if the advances are worth it, waiting for the USB3 spec designs may allow you to have that capability where available and the USB2 or USB 1.1 specs where it isn't.  Just like with a USB2 device now.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 11:16 PM »
At the very least we know this much to be true; when the USB 3 is fully released to the public, it will be backwards compatible, so anything you buy now will work later.

No great loss in my opinion, and not worth the wait currently. I mean how fast do you need, currently the average system will not give you the complete I/O capability of your flash as it is, maybe when the new standard comes out these drives today, will be a bit more impressive tomorrow!?!!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 11:25 PM »
No great loss in my opinion, and not worth the wait currently. I mean how fast do you need, currently the average system will not give you the complete I/O capability of your flash as it is, maybe when the new standard comes out these drives today, will be a bit more impressive tomorrow!?!!
Yeah, that's how I feel.  i'm talking $25 right now.  Who cares?!  I'll spend another $25 when USB 3.0 comes out.  big deal.

DDRAMbo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Well, obviously you can buy one based on several important features, GB's, looks, durability, and convenience being the most important. I'm a computer tech, and I carry around the tools of my trade, plus extra stuff like movies, and the 8 GB Voyager  :Thmbsup: has sufficient GB's, looks fine, is pretty darn durable, but as far as convenience, I had to tie a string to the cap so I wouldn't lose it (although it would never just fall off due to the rubber grip it has), and it is rather bulky to plug in around tight areas with lots of cables. I didn't include speed because I don't see many people needing top speed any more than I do, and it varies depending on file size and port speed (some people still have 1.1 USB). I've tried others that were a combination of plastic and metal (the majority), and some fell apart eventually, lost their spring or tension where it counted, and some are inconvenient to plug in alongside other cords. I guess the thing to remember is that you're not guaranteed that any particular feature won't disappoint you after some use or under some circumstance, and you better be ready to swallow your dignity when it begins to fail you or you have to find a 'work around'.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 02:20 AM »
(Talking about USB3...)

It depends on the ultimate published spec.  If it is purely a faster interface and that is all, then you are right.  However, if there are other technical advances, these MAY make a difference.  I do know either way it will be designed for backward compatibility, so if the advances are worth it, waiting for the USB3 spec designs may allow you to have that capability where available and the USB2 or USB 1.1 specs where it isn't.  Just like with a USB2 device now.
I fail to see which advances USB flashdrives would benefit from (the next several years, anyway), considering they're limited by slow flash memory speeds rather than anything that has to do with the interface?
- carpe noctem

sciagent

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 02:22 AM »
How do I like this site! Just started to consider launching a USB work environment project, and here's a discussion on a main subj.

My list of requirements in order of importance is the following:
1. Performance
2. Durability
3. Size
4. Usability (to my vision, it is a small USB key-chain that is easily detachable for the use-time and "always with me" in my pocket for the rest of time)
5. Compatibility (this is last because I didn't experience any significant problems so far despite my extensive experience with computers)

This form-factor would be the best:
http://www.transcend-uk.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?LangNo=0&ModNo=181
But performance...

Here's the other one:
http://www.kingston.com/flash/dtms.asp?id=2
I'm still not sure of a performance, but as for durability and interoperability... Well, last depends on PC's hardware too

And here:
http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product-detail.do?prodId=SEL-M-122709&catId=SEL-yf-dnser-35483
Doesn't look durable though...

This one looks durable:
http://www.pretec.com/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.Pretec/Products/B2UXXX
Still... First, I may lose it (not only near a computer table - I lost my laser pointer key-chain jut because it unscrewed). Second, it may not fit to USB slots of some monitors.

Here's another option:
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/CMFUSBMINI-8GB.pdf
It would be nice to see some performance tests.

Those key/coin looking like USB sticks from LaCie:
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10052
are huge to my opinion.

So, the best option is not found so far...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:59 AM by sciagent »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26 AM »

Funky, Useful, Fashionable and just plain old Hard to Lose.

DealExtreme have got you covered  :Thmbsup:

Ooh, I like the Steel Bracelet!

Funky, Useful, Fashionable and just plain old Hard to Lose.

DealExtreme have got you covered  :Thmbsup:

Silly!
[/quote]

Sometimes we need to be 'silly'.... ;)

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • MIS -- Management on Steroids
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 03:11 AM »
Sandisk cruzer micro. Havent had 1 fail yet.
-No one instrument is more important than the other.  All are needed for the band to play.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 04:00 AM »
I fail to see which advances USB flashdrives would benefit from (the next several years, anyway), considering they're limited by slow flash memory speeds rather than anything that has to do with the interface?
I am not saying there is one.  But if there was, for example, some sort of a compression algorithm that was introduced so it would essentially pass more data in the same amount of time built into the specification...maybe that is a bad example, but I hope you get what I was getting at. 

Anyway, it was primarily to ensure all options were covered.   Besides, I thought the interface was the primary bottleneck, not the memory - otherwise wouldn't it be faster than disk?  The memory inside the PC certainly is and IIRC they are both typical DRAM chips.  Even if it was old SDRAM that is still significantly faster than even SCSI drives, and the drives have more throughput as well.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 04:35 AM »
steeladept: a thing like compression could (and would) be implemented in the USB device rather than be part of the interface specification, imho - it would be a too specific feature to pull into the interface, USB is very generic.

If it was the bandwidth that was the bottleneck [for usb pendrives], you'd see them running close to the theoretical max of ~60MByte/s, rather than the... what.. 20-30MB/s? you see now. SDRAM is a lot faster than flash - even old PC133 has more than 1GB/s bandwidth, DDR2-800 (which isn't fast today) has 6.4GB/s. The fastest consumer SSDs (flash based) are around 200MB/s (and will cost you an arm and a leg), and that speed is achieved by striping multiple channels of slow flash memory.
- carpe noctem

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I was just citing and example - and a bad one at that (which I pointed out).

As for the memory, I did not realize there was that much difference between flash dram and other dram memory modules.

To SB - For today only at Newegg -

• Patriot Logo
  • Patriot Xporter XT 16GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF16GUSB
  • Your Price: $38.99
  • $23.99 After $15.00 MIR

This is the same one you originally was looking at except in a 16GB size.  Don't know if you are still interested in it, but I thought I would tell you...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 02:01 PM »
I've been using the Sandisk Cruzer U3 drives for a few years and I have had no issues with them, and they don't have a cap. They slide in and out of the case. I like the U3 application as well. I have 3 4 gig Cruzers now and I am adding an 8 gig Cruzer to my arsenal real soon.

Rob

I got one of those after reading a big review in one of the PC magazines.  Worked about 3 times before the electrical connection became intermittent.  I was just able to get my data off before it died. I got one of those AData 4 GB with the rubberized body.  Don't know how sturdy it is yet.  I do know it's bootable.  I just put WinPE 2.0 with RAID drivers so I could boot my image restore program off of it.  I just ordered the 8 GB model.  I got another model AData 2 GB because it was cheap but it does feel like it came in a box of Crackerjacks.  Wicked flimsy.  It's bootable too.  For how long I don't know but it feels too cheesy to last. :)

Like most things, if you have a good experience, it's great.  If you get burned, it sucks. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I was just citing and example - and a bad one at that (which I pointed out).

As for the memory, I did not realize there was that much difference between flash dram and other dram memory modules.

To SB - For today only at Newegg -

• Patriot Logo
  • Patriot Xporter XT 16GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF16GUSB
  • Your Price: $38.99
  • $23.99 After $15.00 MIR

This is the same one you originally was looking at except in a 16GB size.  Don't know if you are still interested in it, but I thought I would tell you...
Thanks, but I already bought the Pico.  It's ok, though, 16 GB is overkill for me right now.  I'm just trying this out for now.  If it becomes serious, I'll get a larger one later.

ShihanWushu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I recommend SanDisk Ultra® Titanium. It´s strong and durable according to my experience. However, not the cheapest one!  (http://sandisk.com/P..._USB_Drive_16GB.aspx).

Have a look - and good luck!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I recommend SanDisk Ultra® Titanium. It´s strong and durable according to my experience. However, not the cheapest one!  (http://sandisk.com/P..._USB_Drive_16GB.aspx).

Have a look - and good luck!

Sandisk Titanium is the one I referred to above.  The outer shell looks solid but I don't think the whole mechanism sliding back and forth does any good.  Then again, the AData one I have now may be flimsy plastic inside the rubber body!!  No way to tell how long this stuff will last until it dies.

I got the Sandisk right after they came out.  Hopefully they fixed the slide design. Or maybe I just got a lemmon. :(