topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3671279 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #5650 on: November 26, 2018, 04:38 PM »
This made me smile:
Docker makes me sad. 70s UNIX tools wrapped in a gigantic binary file with a comic-style logo added on top of it, and suddenly it is "the next big thing". Bah, kids today.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5651 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Thanks!  Very useful!  I'm surprised that USPS doesn't socialize that more!

A few of reasons:

1. Not available in all locations, yet.
2. There's a lot of FUD related controversy and confusion surrounding it.
  A. Too many people think that anyone can sign up to get alerts about your mail, not just you, by simply scraping info about you off the internet.
  B. Too many people think the USPS is opening up your mail and emailing you scans of your mail before it's delivered, thereby reading it and turning over copies of the scans to NSA.
  C. Too many people think it's a bad idea to give the government (and the NSA) more personally identifying info about yourself, tying together a name, street address, phone number, and e-mail address, along with the contents of your mail, such as bank and credit card account info, etc. (see B)

It's crazy what the tinfoil hat people think is going on, when the USPS is simply trying to thwart mail theft, which is becoming a much bigger problem in the digital age, with all the online shopping that is going on, and so many packages being delivered getting stolen, because they can't fit in a typical mailbox.

In any case, if you have a tracking number for a package, you can always sign up for alerts related to that specific delivery, even if Informed Delivery is not available in your area, yet.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5652 on: November 26, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Thanks!  It was available, and I'm surprised at the level of detail- I'm sure it will come in handy some day!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - The Mole! (NASA Mars Insight Mission)
« Reply #5653 on: November 26, 2018, 08:29 PM »
All about The Mole on the NASA Insight mission: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/insight

27_650x287_C13C59B1.png

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5654 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29 PM »
How many people looked at the rest of the pictures there?
Yes, that was a good accidentally brilliant picture.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5655 on: November 26, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Ha!

(Also, next post will be #5656, which also amuses me...so whoever you are...MAKE IT WORTHY!)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5656 on: November 26, 2018, 10:47 PM »
(Intentionally left blank.)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5657 on: November 28, 2018, 07:02 PM »
@IainB:
That reminds me of the little joke
Masochist: "Hit me..."
Sadist: "....No"

:P

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5658 on: November 30, 2018, 02:52 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5659 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42 AM »
He's so cool he wears chocolate socks.

There are chocolate stocking-stuffers, but can you stuff a chocolate sock?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5660 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43 PM »
@Shades:
@IainB:
That reminds me of the little joke
Masochist: "Hit me..."
Sadist: "....No"

:P
Yes - you're so right! There's often truth in humour.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5661 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03 PM »
You may have read that the French are revolting. (Yes, they are, aren't they?)
This time it's whilst dressed in fluorescent HVVs (yellowish-green hi-visibility safety vests). All drivers of vehicles in France are required by law to have an HVV in their car.
Samizdata.net had an interesting comment about this:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
The unsung genius of the yellow vest
2018-12-03
tags: Environment, French affairs, Media & Journalism
Natalie Solent (Essex)
Whatever one thinks about the gilets jaunes (yellow vests) protests/riots in France – and I happen to know that they are the result of a deal made between a French green activist wishing to see more protests about what the government was doing to combat climate change and a particularly literal minded demon – the choice of the yellow Hi-Vis waistcoat or vest as a symbol of the protests was inspired. As every schoolboy knows, St David told the Britons to wear leeks in their caps to distinguish friend from foe in their battles with the Saxons. In many struggles since then some item snatched up in haste from whatever was lying around in order to improvise a uniform has duly become an icon of that cause. Here are some reasons why the gilet jaune is destined to join that illustrious list:

One: Protesters want to be seen. Hi-vis vests make people highly visible. This is one of those linkages that manages to be both obvious and surprising at the same time. Why did no one think of this before?

Two, anyone driving a car in France has got one in the boot anyway because a 2008 law says they must. Might as well put the thing to use.

Three, and this is the one I love, it turns a symbol of compliance into a symbol of defiance. Cop pulls you over. Cop saunters up to the car. “Is monsieur carrying a gilet de haute visibilité as required by law?” “Why of course, officer. I always carry my yellow vest. One never knows when one might need it.”
I reckon that's a typically "French" thing to do - to turn the tables on an oppressive authority by flipping the bird with an oppressive symbol used by that authority. The guillotine of the French Revolution was a prime example. The irony is biting/cutting.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:29 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5662 on: December 05, 2018, 07:27 PM »
As a follow-on from the above HVV item, I should apologise to French-haters and Francophobes alike that it was not used as an opportunity to get yet another dig in about how awful the French are. We should of course never forget that there are plenty of reasons for hating the French:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5663 on: December 05, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Talking of Haters, I had an absolute LOL moment today whilst watching this USTV clip of something called "The View", in which was a group of women apparently discussing/making a tribute to the late 41st president of the US, (George H.W. Bush) - God bless 'im - who died recently.
Now I don't know much about the women in the clip, but what it clearly shows is that one of them seems to be moronically obsessed with using the pretext of paying tribute to the deceased president to address the single issue of a manufactured negative political comment against the current president (Trump 45th).
To paraphrase Yoda:
"The Hate is strong in this one."

But a highly articulate blonde lady (Meghan McCain) - who seems to have clearly done her homework on GHWB - won't stand for the nonsense and disrespect of perverting the occasion to try and score political points on the speaker's single issue, and so tries to pull it back on track.

What amused me was that, if one wanted to FAIL and make a complete, public and spectacular ass of oneself, then there are probably other/better ways to do it, but this one would arguably be up there with the best of them. Priceless shooting-oneself-in-the-foot stuff.
But it's beautifully compounded by the disrespect and lack of honour shown in the act of attempting to abuse such a solemn occasion by mindlessly trying to score political points. If it were about (say) trying to make a $ profit from the occasion, then the speaker could be labelled as being "venal", but in the context of paying tribute to and honouring a great US president on his death there's an English phrase that could be used to describe this kind of thing: "Don't sh#t in your own nest."
This was definitely an own-nest-fouling of the greater kind. Highly successful and amusing, made all the more so because it was so brilliantly executed by a speaker who clearly didn't seem to appreciate the potential impact and/or blow-back of what they were doing. Talk about target fixation.

But hey, when the Hate is that strong, I guess a gal's just gotta evacuate her bowels pronto, regardless. Gives a whole new meaning to"let it go/flow".  Ahahaha, I slay me.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5664 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59 AM »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5665 on: December 13, 2018, 05:22 AM »
And so once again the Creeper commits the most henious crime a woman can imagine: He takes a telephone away from her in a middle of a call.

Alfred Hitchcock

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5666 on: December 13, 2018, 05:45 AM »
And so once again the Creeper commits the most henious crime a woman can imagine: He takes a telephone away from her in a middle of a call.

So when is HIS funeral ?
:)

Regards,

Anand

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5667 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48 AM »

So when is HIS funeral ?
:)

Regards,

Anand

Clipboard04.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5668 on: December 19, 2018, 11:51 AM »
a2a7212e6f1f69cac0c6607958805843ab6c8698[1].jpegsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5669 on: December 19, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Ice Cream Vegan.pngsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Inpiration Cat.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Interest-Free Banking.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5670 on: December 19, 2018, 01:25 PM »

Maestr0

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5671 on: December 19, 2018, 02:07 PM »
A3lCMm4.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5672 on: December 20, 2018, 05:22 AM »
 ;D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5673 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22 AM »
@Maestr0: Re the Sarah Connor AI, above. What a super joke!    :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! - Wear sunscreen?
« Reply #5674 on: December 20, 2018, 10:00 AM »
There is a super movie I watched the other day: About Time (2013) (SF drama re love and time travel.1080p.BRx264) 5 Stars - that's my rating.
There's quite a lot of humour in the movie.
In it, there is reference to a "song: by Baz Luhrmann - "Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen".

This song is referred to in the movie "About Time" thus:
Narrator: "There's a song by Baz Luhrmann called Sunscreen. He says that worrying about the future is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum."
The song is a series of spoken jokes, and the last line of the song - "But trust me on the sunscreen." - led me to suspect that the author's "advice" to wear sunscreen may have been tongue-in-cheek as just so much more "bad advice", sunlight in fact being not a toxin but a natural "food" for our skin as it causes the skin to produce vitamin D3 - which is used in calcium metabolisation to build/strengthen bones and is also thought to help prevent cancer (just avoid getting sunburn).
In the UK, rickets in children was common in the gloomy/cloudy North of England until the doctors discovered that it was an epidemiological factor - the children simply weren't being exposed to enough sun - so they were given vitamin D3 supplements and the problem went away.

However, wearing sunscreen IS recognised as being good:
  • (a) for "Cancer charities", who receive funding from sunscreen producers whose products they endorse/promote.    :Thmbsup:
  • (b) for the sunscreen manufacturers, as it is a profitable product which they don't have to prove actually prevents sunburn, and consumer association tests apparently indicate that many brands do just that (nothing), and that the chemicals in sunscreen may be harmful/detrimental to human health, commonly causing allergy/irritation and some are even thought to be carcinogenic risk factors.   :o

The "song" is just the narration of a slightly updated ("Class of 99") recitation of the following rather amusing essay, put to music:
Essay title: Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young.
Date: June 1st 1997 ( 1997-06-01)
Author: Mary Schmich, a columnist with the Chicago Tribune
Source: https://www.chicagot...n-column-column.html
It's an amusing essay and worth a read.
(essay in the spoiler below)
Spoiler
Inside every adult lurks a graduation speaker dying to get out, some world-weary pundit eager to pontificate on life to young people who'd rather be Rollerblading. Most of us, alas, will never be invited to sow our words of wisdom among an audience of caps and gowns, but there's no reason we can't entertain ourselves by composing a Guide to Life for Graduates.

I encourage anyone over 26 to try this and thank you for indulging my attempt.Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97:

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.