topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766302 times)

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Is cheese the plural of choose?????
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2006, 08:22 AM »
I have just went through my extensions and removed all the one's I don't use, here's what's left:

- Adblock Plus 0.6.0.4 - Filters ads from web pages
- All-in-One Gestures 0.17.4 - This extension allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures, rocker navigation, scroll wheel navigation and page scrolling.
- All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4 - Quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.
- BBCodeXtra 0.2.5.4 - Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML commands to the context menu
- Configuration Mania 1.06.2006013101 - More Advanced (hidden) configures & Chrome Uninstaller
- ConsoleĀ² 0.3.2 - The next generation error console.
- CustomizeGoogle 0.41 - Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam.
- del.icio.us 1.0.2 - Keep, share and discover all your favorite things.
- DOM Inspector 1.8.0.1 - Inspect the DOM of HTML, XUL, and XML pages, including the browser chrome.
- Findbar Basics 1.2.08 - Adds a statusbar button, clear button, optional toolbar button, and Ctrl-F toggle for the Find Toolbar.
- Flashblock 1.5 - Replaces Flash objects with a button you can click to view them.
- FlashGot 0.5.9.99 - Enables single and massive("all" and "selection") downloads using the most popular external downloadmanagers for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD(dozens currently supported, see Extension's Home Page for details).FlashGot offers also a Build Gallery functionality which helps to synthetizefull media galleries in one page from serial contents originally scattered onseveral pages, for easy and fast "download all".
- Foxylicious 0.5 - Integrates your del.icio.us bookmarks into your Firefox bookmarks.
- Gmail Manager 0.4.3.1 - Gmail accounts management and new mail notifications.
- Gmail Space 0.2 - Use your gmail account space for file storage. Enables to upload/download folders.
- Greasemonkey 0.6.4 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
- IE View 1.2.7 - Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
- LiveLines 0.4.4.1 - Add RSS feeds to RSS readers other than the Live Bookmark with the RSS icon on the status bar.
- Menu Editor 1.2 - Customize application menus
- Mozilla SpellCheck Libraries 1.0.1.0 - From the Mozilla Thunderbird 20050727 Nightly Win32 Build
- MR Tech Local Install 4.0.20060202.01 - Local Install power tools for all users.
- MyStickies 0.1.2 - Allows sticky notes to be added to any web page and, with an account, viewed upon return
- Reveal 1.0.5 - See everything.
- Right-Click-Link 1.1.1 - Opens selected text in a new tab.
- Searchbar Autosizer 1.0.6 - Expand the searchbox as you type
- SmoothWheel 0.44.7.20050605 - Scrolls the document smoothly when scrolling the mouse wheel
- SpellBound 0.7.3 - Adds spell checker support to web forms and extensions.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.2 - Tab browsing with an added boost.
- View Rendered Source Chart 1.5.02 - Creates a Colorful Chart of a Webpage's Rendered Source
- Web Developer 1.0.2 - Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
- Web Search Plus 0.1.3 - Uses the current Search Bar engine for context-menu web searches.
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2006, 08:33 AM »
wow!
awesome list alexp; i think you've just inspired me to upgrade to the lastest firefox and try some of these..  thanks for all those nice web developer oriented extensions.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I like to run my pages at a smaller than standard font size.  Rendering those smaller font sizes in Internet Explorer (Maxthon) doesn't work so well.  And just plain resizing pages alters images too.  Can anyone point me to a Firefox extension that will remember your chosen font/text setting across the board, like every page you load is -2 on the Text Size Decrease option OR that will remember your settings on a per page basis.  Either would work as -2 steps down is what I prefer to use for text size.  Doing this makes me not have to force the font used on every page loaded but rather the font that was intended by each website.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Can anyone help me figure out how to remove the title bar (blue bar at the very top) in FireFox.  All it does is take up wasted space for browsing.  I don't need to see the page title, because of tabs and even if tabs are shortened you can hover a tab for the page title.  Also, minimizing and closing can easily be done with shortcut keys.  I don't know if this can be done through an extension or a hack, but I have done some google searching, but no luck so far.  Help?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I am a Opera user, and once i tried firefox but it broke down when i installed a few (about 20) extensions. I thought that firefox couldn't handle it, but it seems that possibly it was one of the extensions i installed that was buggy, not ff, as this guy prooved to me.
(link from www.digg.com)

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Vegas,  I haven't used it but this may be the extension you were looking for.

Almost Full Screen http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/almostfullscreen

by Stephen Clavering

Overrides View > Full Screen (and F11) to switch to "almost full screen" mode, where the titlebar and borders of the window are removed and it's resized to use all the space on the screen except for that which the Windows taskbar occupies.

Note: this doesn't work properly if the Windows taskbar is set to auto-hide

jdd

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2006, 06:22 PM »
It doesn't seem to be compatible with Firefox 1.5 and I couldn't find it on the newer site (https://addons.mozil...?application=firefox).
Otherwise, that looks to be exactly what I was looking for. 

I also found MexuX (https://addons.mozil...;application=firefox) but that just seems to be a fullscreen mode, which covers the taskbar when maximized.

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2006, 06:48 PM »
My List:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.1
Adblock Plus 0.6.1.1
Add Bookmark Here 0.5.5
Copy Plain Text 0.3.2
External Application Buttons 0.7.2
Favicon Picker 0.3.1
Html Validator 0.7.9
IE View Lite 1.1.2
MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.5.4.1
MR Tech Local Install 4.2.3.1
PDF Download 0.6
Print It! 0.3.8
Print/Print Preview 0.2
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.4

I think I have found a few more to try from browsing this topic!  :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2006, 05:04 PM »
new extension: "SiteAdvisor - or do YOU like spam, spyware, & safety threats?" --> https://www.donation...index.php?topic=2624

sinum

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Only problem is, we all know it takes at least 10 extensions to achieve the features of an Opera or Maxthon.

Type  about:config  ENTER, than You see some more features in Firefox.

FasterFox, DownThemAll mass Downloader, Wizz RSS News Reader, CustomizeGoogle (very nice), MR Tech Local Install.
.sinum.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 01:45 PM »
official firefox contest ends with some brand new firefox extensions:
http://developer.moz...tests/extendfirefox/

[link from digg.com]

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2006, 04:21 AM »
This is a thread I've been meaning to read, finially got around to it tonight. I haven't tried many of these extensions with Firefox 1.5, but here's a bunch that I used to use with FF 1.0X...

Blanklast - This is one that I don't actually need any more, but would probably be useful for others. If you like to use Ctrl+W to close tabs (or documents in word, or chat windows in mIRC) you've probably noticed that closing the last tab will close the whole window, which can be annoying. This extension fixes that problem. If you're like me and use a button on your mouse to close tabs, Ctrl+F4 is a better shortcut than Ctrl+W  since it only closes tabs/documents, not windows.

BugMeNot - I'm sure most of y'all have heard of the bugmenot website. Ever go to a website that requires a login and password, probably only because they want your e-mail address so they can sell it? Well, bugmenot is the answer to those pages. The extension gets a random login and password from their database so that you can access those websites.

DictionarySearch - This one is very cool. You know how you can highlight a word and search for it by right clicking on it? This extension takes that to the next level and allows you to search for words/phrases on other websites, like dictionary websites. I use it to look up words on dictionary.com and acronyms on acronymfinder.com. I used to use it with a couple other websites, but I forget wich ones right now. It's very easily customized so you could use it with practically any search-engine.

Download Statusbar - Has already been mentioned, but here's my longer description: Pretty much it adds a little button to the status bar for every download, the button fills like a progress bar and gives stats of the download speed/timeleft/percentage/and total transfered. When the download is done you can double click the button to open the file.

FLST - This is one of my favorites! FLST stands for "Focus Last Selected Tab" it remembers what tab you were viewing before opening the current tab. When you close the current tab it returns the focus to the previously viewed tab (not just the tab to the imediate left or right).

Imagezoom - Imagezoom is awesome! Hold the right mouse button then use your scroll wheel to zoom images in or out. Also lets you make an image fill the screen.

MiniT (Drag + Indicator) = Now a standard function of FF 1.5.... lets you drag tabs around to organize them better + it shows a little arrow indicator to let you know where it'll go.

Nuke-Anything - This is another awesome extension (hopefully it works with 1.5 by now!). Lets you highlight text/pictures and "nuke" it. Useful for printing webpages without having to print all the stupid ads. (Aparrently useful for screenshots too.)

Show Image - kinda handy: When an image doesn't load for some reason, use this extension to load it, without having to refresh the whole page.

Slim Extension List - Makes each extension in the extension smaller on the screen, so you can see more at once. Not essencial, but useful.

"UNDO CLOSE TAB" - I can't beleive nobody has mentioned this one yet (unless it's included with Tab Mix Plus). This one is indespensable! If you've ever closed a tab accidently you can appreciate how hard it can be to find it again. With Undo Close Tab you just click it's button select the closed tab and it'll re-appear. It's super-cool, I hope it works with FF 1.5!

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 08:52 PM »
For those of you who had experienced a corrupted firefox profile before, I would recommend the following extension:

Bookmark Backup - a simple extension that helps to keep your bookmarks (and optionally other Firefox settings) safe. Each time Firefox is closed, a copy of your bookmarks file will be made to a backup location. If Firefox's bookmarks become corrupted or lost, find the most recent uncorrupted backup and copy it into your profile folder.

Note: Firefox 1.5 now makes its own backups of your bookmarks, therefore this extension is only useful if you want to backup other settings or to control where the backups are stored.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 02:42 AM »
Can anyone point me to a Firefox extension that will remember your chosen font/text setting across the board, like every page you load is -2 on the Text Size Decrease option OR that will remember your settings on a per page basis.  Either would work as -2 steps down is what I prefer to use for text size.  Doing this makes me not have to force the font used on every page loaded but rather the font that was intended by each website.

Doesn't firefox remember your font size settings automatically? Just press ctrl- (control and minus) or ctrl-mousewheelscrollup and it changes the font size for the page and any page you navigate to thereafter with no affect on image size.

As for my extensions:

All-in-One Mouse Gestures: Never used mouse gestures before this and I love them. My mouse has forward and back buttons but I forget to use them. Besides forward and backward navigating, it lets me easily view the source (up-right-down), open new tabs (up), open new windows (down-up), open the same page in a new window (down-up-down), refresh the page (up-down), true page refresh from server (up-down-up) view cookies (left-down-right), and a lot more things I don't remember how to do. One of the best features of it is that it lets me open links in a new tab simply by right-clicking the link and making the upward motion (open new tab motion but started over a link). I consider this an absolute essential.

BugMeNot: Allows you to right-click in any login form and it will connect to a database of submitted logins and try to automatically log you in so that you don't have to register to the site to access it. Great for compulsive registration sites (like any news site)

FLST: Brings up the focus of the last selected tab when the current tab is closed as opposed to just the one next to it in the tab list.

AdBlock: Lets you block images and scripts and even Flash (though it doesn't always detect the Flash) or even entire iFrames altogether. Background images, too. Absolutely Essential.

Spurl: Allen introduced me to this one. It's an online bookmarking utility. I've actually never used the extension, which is silly, because I just use bookmarks that add pages to my spurl bookmarks, and a bookmark which opens my spurl bookmarks in a sidebar.

Session Saver: This remembers what tabs you had opened when you closed your browser and opens them up again when you open your browser. I've had trouble with this one, though, because I have my "home page" set to several tabs and for each home page tab I have set, it will replace one of the saved tabs with the homepage site. Unless I use an external program to launch IE to a certain site.

For example, if I closed FF with two tabs open, and I click the FF shortcut to open it up again, it will only show me two of my home page sites (even though I have five), regardless of what those two tabs were set to when I closed the browser. But if I double click my Gmail Notifier which opens Gmail in a new tab, or if FF is closed it will launch FF and open gmail in a new tab, it will use the correct sites I had used previously with Session Saver and none of my home page sites.

This would probably be easily remedied if I just got rid of my multiple tab home page, but can you believe I've been too lazy to change that?

I've installed a couple of others that I haven't really used. EditCSS gives you a stylesheet modifier in the sidebar. Preferential is an advanced preference manager. Aardvark "quickly cleans up a page prior to printing" but I don't do much printing and haven't found much of a use for it otherwise.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2006, 07:27 AM »
Adblock 0.5.2.039 - Filters ads from web-pages
Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.2.6 - Synchronizes Adblock with Filterset.G
Add Bookmark Here 0.5.5 - A convenient way to add bookmarks.(ESSENTIAL)...

This last one opens up on a Microsoft page! 

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Not exactly an extension, but close!

http://www.dictionary.hm/

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Although i'm not a firefox user, i found MozBackup. Looks interesting.
MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, cache etc.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2006, 08:13 PM »
now, that i haven't checked in a while, i'm curious whether do i need all that extensions...
in any case, here's my simplified list, usage can be rated from moderate-active to active-active...  :-[

List of all installed extensions
  • Aardvark   1.1
  • BBCode   0.4.1.3
  • Bookmark Backup   0.3.3
  • CoLT   0.9.1
  • CustomizeGoogle   0.39
  • Download Statusbar   0.9.4
  • Enhanced History Manager   0.5.8.04
  • FirstField   1.1
  • Flags   0.5
  • Flashblock   1.5
  • FlashGot   0.5.9.98
  • Go Up 0.9
  • IE View   1.2.7
  • ImageShack right-click   0.3.2
  • Keyconfig 20050313.1
  • Locate in Bookmark Folders   0.2.4
  • MenuManipulator 20051223.1.1
  • Nightly Tester Tools   0.7.9.10
  • Popup ALT Attribute   1.3.2005092701
  • ReminderFox   0.5.8.3
  • Search Button   0.4.10
  • SessionSaver .2   0.2.1.031
  • Show Failed URL   0.1.4
  • Super DragAndGo   0.2.4
  • Tab Mix Plus   0.2.5.2
  • WellRounded   0.43

regards,
lanux

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Lanux, that was a pretty cool post!
How did you do that?  Professional secret?

History menu is nice, but i will try out your Enhanced History (along with some of the others you found).
https://addons.mozil...;application=firefox

Thanks!

DTM

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2006, 07:00 AM »
Check this, dantheman: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2784.0
;)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2006, 07:22 AM »
Thanks JPAIVA!

That's a pretty good working tool for the forums!

Although reduncy will likely slip through these extension lists,

is often used on my little old PC.

:)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2006, 01:39 PM »
from digg.com, a page listing security extensions for firefox: http://www.cerias.pu...t-practices/post-22/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2006, 10:11 PM »

dantheman:well by now, you'll know that it's no magic...  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2006, 08:01 AM »
I'm new to Firefox after having tried it about a year ago and going back to Maxthon. I'm now using both. One thing I love about Maxthon is the ability to store "groups" of bookmarks together and open them all from one link. This is extended with the ability to open a group of pages at startup (rather than just one home page). Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in Firefox (or an extension that will enable this feature)?

Thanks,

Mike

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2006, 08:15 AM »
I'm new to Firefox after having tried it about a year ago and going back to Maxthon. I'm now using both. One thing I love about Maxthon is the ability to store "groups" of bookmarks together and open them all from one link. This is extended with the ability to open a group of pages at startup (rather than just one home page). Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in Firefox (or an extension that will enable this feature)?

Thanks,

Mike

You sure can Mike!
Simply open up all the webpages you would like to view at start up (in different tabs of course) and click "use current pages" in options!