topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Please help me build my new computer, DC!  (Read 193315 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please help me build my new computer, DC!
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Probably the graphics drivers. If you are using NVIDIA I don't recommend the latest builds (they are really buggy) - go back a couple of generations!

Opps - I see you are a using Radeon drivers ... nuff said!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42 AM »
superboy: no clue, sounds pretty weird to me - has always worked perfectly in my multi-monitor setups :-s

Might be a monitor, video card or driver issue... pick one, pick three :)
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Yeah, Radeon...hopefully I can fix it tonight.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Logitech MX 1100 scroll wheel...LOVE IT!!
« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Oh my...I am in love with that scroll wheel on the logitech mouse.  I've set it so it's free-spinning (no-click) and it is scroll wheel HEAVEN!  That is just beautiful design.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2009, 03:02 AM »
Oh my...I am in love with that scroll wheel on the logitech mouse.  I've set it so it's free-spinning (no-click) and it is scroll wheel HEAVEN!  That is just beautiful design.

good for you !

I've been checking out mouses (again) lately and I gotta say it really does my head in that they dont say clearly:-
This is a right-handed mouse. There is no left-handed version (or there is etc)

What percentage of people are left-handed - is it so small that they have to snub us every time we look in a shop-site, or even the Logitech site itself - I was looking at two mice there just yesterday and could find NO info as to whether there was a left-hander or not (and nowhere did I see: "just for right-handers" - so I could only tell from the photo)

[with apologies for very off-topic rant]
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I feel for you, tomos.  But you left-handed people have the advantage at sports!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2009, 03:07 PM »
I feel for you, tomos.  But you left-handed people have the advantage at sports!

Well, not every sport.  What about the mouse toss, for example?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2009, 04:37 PM »
thanks for the sympathy guys  :D
okay,
keeping this thread slightly off-topic :P
can anyone recommend a pair of speakers for 20 to 40$ price range - or even a brandname would do - I have no notion & didnt think it worth starting a new thread for it,
thanks!
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2009, 07:03 PM »
You'd think I'd know a little something about speakers.  I don't really, and to be honest, it's a confusing market as far as trying to figure out what's good and what's hype.

But for $20-40, eesh, that's pretty low.  Try looking at Altec Lansing and see what they have.  Although, maybe AL is not the speaker company I think it is anymore...I may still be in 2001 mode.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19 PM »
A L is, or is part of, Plantronics nowadays, I think.
$20-$40 is a bit low.  You'll have to look out for a discount deal in one of your local stores, I suspect, otherwise shipping costs will kill you.
You could try your local yard/jumble/boot sales...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2009, 11:37 AM »
well, I should have been (as often) clearer - I sorta meant "mini" speakers - like I have a set on other computer, sony - doesnt even say what ... what's a speaker measurement unit?!? ... but they're small - sound is grand (in a small room) but they cant handle any volume really but that's okay too -
As you say anyways at that price - I wouldnt be expecting to throw a party with them -
will look next time I'm in town anyways,
 thanks!
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Well, I am loving the rocking speed of this new pc.  It's been a long time since I've been able to do things so quickly.  Every click, every transfer is so responsive.  We'll see how long it takes for it to slow down.  It's a well-built machine.

There are only two problems so far:
--This monitor issue.  In extended desktop mode, only the secondary monitor comes out of standby with a key press or mouse movement.  The primary one needs to be turned off and back on.  I have submitted a ticket to ATI for it.

--The on board sound of the motherboard has a decent amount of static and noise to it.  I'm only able to use headphones for the time being, but it sounds like way too much static.  If I move the mouse, especially when I use the scroll wheel, there's this high static sound.  That's no good for me since I do a lot with audio and music.  I will probably use my pro sound card once I have my cables and speakers set up.  I wonder how others deal with that noise though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2009, 05:33 PM »
where were the pictures we were promised?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2009, 06:29 PM »
--The on board sound of the motherboard has a decent amount of static and noise to it.  I'm only able to use headphones for the time being, but it sounds like way too much static.  If I move the mouse, especially when I use the scroll wheel, there's this high static sound.  That's no good for me since I do a lot with audio and music.  I will probably use my pro sound card once I have my cables and speakers set up.  I wonder how others deal with that noise though.

Check your mixer settings - I had this problem once and it turned out to be bad mixer settings!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2009, 09:36 PM »
where were the pictures we were promised?
The pictures are going to be in the website article I put up soon.  I still want to get a nice "after" shot, but I'm not ready yet.  I still have the old computer on the desk because I forget some files here and there while I setup the new one.  Also, I just bought my Big Knob mixer today, so the speaker setup isn't done yet.  There's still work to do.  I'm taking pics along the way, though.  Maybe I should post a couple of preview pics...

Check your mixer settings - I had this problem once and it turned out to be bad mixer settings!
I'll look into that.  Any suggestions specifically?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Actually, about that noise problem:
Turns out, I only get the noise when i plug my headphones into the convenience headphone jack on the front of  my Cosmos case.  If I plug into the actualy gigabyte motherboard, the sound is crispt quiet.  Very nice.  So, the problem is cooler master, I guess.  it's ok, once I install the big knob, I won't be plugging any headphones into the case.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2009, 06:00 PM »
So how's it going?

Haven't heard from you in a couple of days.

Haven't gotten yourself electrocuted, I hope. ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51 PM »
I'm still around.  been busy at work.  But I've been setting the computer up and everything.  I have never had speed like this before or this kind of luxury, and it feels pretty darn good.  Mouser is 100% right about dual monitors, especially dual huge monitors.  It changes the world.  I have file manager and email running on one monitor and another one for internet and everything else and the comfort and productivity is amazing.

My two absolute favorite gadgets so far are the big Knob (I will write extensively about it later) and the logitech scroll wheel.  That scroll wheel is dynamite...it's a solid heavy piece of metal and once you turn off the clicking and have it spinning with zero friction, man, that's take scrolling to a level that is bliss.

I've realized that I've lost the usb cable for my digital camera, so I have to take the card reader from my old computer and put it in this one to transfer the pictures.  I'll do that now...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sneak preview of my new computer!
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2009, 01:51 AM »
here are two pics of the new setup.  Ther first shows my old setup that I endured since 2001.  The next is the new setup, although the office is still a mess since I'm not done rearranging everything.  That's me growing sick and tired of transferring all my data to the new computer and setting it up.  It's always a pain.  Least enjoyable part of the whole process.  It's like moving...digitally speaking.
PICT0098_resize.JPGPlease help me build my new computer, DC!
PICT0109_resize.JPGPlease help me build my new computer, DC!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56 AM »
Now, another minor complaint...the Benq monitors come with no height adjustment.  Yes, it's annoying.  But then again, they are literally half the price of other 24" monitors.

So the question is, can anyone recommend some kind of height adjustable shelf that I can place two monitors on?  As a bonus, I can have room under the shelf to place things.  I'm not able to find anything.

Eesh...$200, this is the cheapest that I could find.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:12 AM by superboyac »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2009, 04:06 AM »
You look a bit depressed in the pic ...

How about Blocks of wood cut to the size and shape you want and spray painted to match the desk or the monitor stand?

If you want to spend money why not get two wall mounting kits and get them off the desk altogether?

Another alternative is a simple bookshelf - those long slotted metal strip type book shelfs are incredibly strong (So long as you fix them to the wall properly) and then it is easily adjustable.

See http://www.knapeandv...page=products.18.219

(this shop is very expensive any DIY place would have these pretty cheap)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:14 AM by Carol Haynes »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2009, 09:57 AM »
You look a bit depressed in the pic ...

How about Blocks of wood cut to the size and shape you want and spray painted to match the desk or the monitor stand?

If you want to spend money why not get two wall mounting kits and get them off the desk altogether?

Another alternative is a simple bookshelf - those long slotted metal strip type book shelfs are incredibly strong (So long as you fix them to the wall properly) and then it is easily adjustable.

See http://www.knapeandv...page=products.18.219

(this shop is very expensive any DIY place would have these pretty cheap)
I was tired...the house is a mess...transferring files...rebooting...setting up drivers.  Plus, I was acting a bit for the camera.

As for the shelf, I don't want to get anything that has to be mounted on the wall.  I'd prefer it to just sit on the desk.  Maybe I'll just get that dual monitor stand for $200.  Unless I can find a desktop shelf with height adjustment.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58 AM »
PS, the monitors are working fine now, I unplugged the dvi's a few times, and it's working now.  Weird.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38 AM »
$200 ??? Isn't that as much as one of the monitors ???

How about house bricks and a plank? To adjust the height:

fine adjustment - turn bricks on to edge or flat
gross adjustment - add another brick at each end

Give a rather 'rustic' look to your desk but it is cheap and effective!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12 AM »
$200 ??? Isn't that as much as one of the monitors ???

How about house bricks and a plank? To adjust the height:

fine adjustment - turn bricks on to edge or flat
gross adjustment - add another brick at each end

Give a rather 'rustic' look to your desk but it is cheap and effective!
Haha, yeah, no kidding.  In their defense, these stands are somewhat nice.  We'll see.  I have to adjust my desk and chair until I'm ergonomically correct and comfortable.  Most likely, I won't have to buy those mounts.  If anything, I'll buy a couple of the cheap kensington plastic stands.