topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Please help me build my new computer, DC!  (Read 193325 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please help me build my new computer, DC!
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2009, 02:39 PM »
It is for hot-swapping.
Now that I think about it, I probably got the wrong type of enclosure.  I probably should have bought this:
http://www.granitedi...asekitenclosure.aspx

Oh well.  Doh!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2009, 02:48 PM »
What's the difference between an external enclosure with esata or sata?  Both cables are shielded.  I thought all external enclosures would use esata since that's what the "e" is for.  And where do you plug a sata cable to on your chassis if it's coming from an enclosure?  Like, on my Cosmos case, I have an esata connector on it, but the sata connectors or on the mobo.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2009, 03:13 PM »
AFAIK there is very little difference between eSATA and SATA300 (same bandwidth and transfer speed of 3000Mbit/300Mbit for both). The only significant difference I am aware of is that eSATA allows for a 2-meter cable, whereas SATA only allows a 1-meter connecting cable.

If I understand what you're asking, the external eSATA drive can be plugged into any SATA connector on your mobo backpanel.

Note: some older mobos will only boot off an external drive if it is plugged into specific SATA connectors (usually #1 and/or #2) so check your docs to see if you need to do that. On a mobo as new as yours, it shouldn't be necessary.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:21 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2009, 04:08 PM »
AFAIK there is very little difference between eSATA and SATA300 (same bandwidth and transfer speed of 3000Mbit/300Mbit for both). The only significant difference I am aware of is that eSATA allows for a 2-meter cable, whereas SATA only allows a 1-meter connecting cable.

If I understand what you're asking, the external eSATA drive can be plugged into any SATA connector on your mobo backpanel.

Note: some older mobos will only boot off an external drive if it is plugged into specific SATA connectors (usually #1 and/or #2) so check your docs to see if you need to do that. On a mobo as new as yours, it shouldn't be necessary.
ACtually, what I'm asking is this:  Why does Granite Digital make a portable external SATA enclosure with a SATA cable?  Wouldn't it make more sense to use an eSATA cable?  Then there's the unit that I bought, which is an external enclosure for SATA drives, but with hot-swap trays, and this uses an eSata connector.  I don't see the reasoning behind the two, unless it's just random.

(edit)
Just got a call from Granite Digital (great customer service by the way).  The external enclosure I linked to above is the older model, which was made before esata came out.  Now that esata is out, the enclosure I got is basically the newer model, along with the hot-swap.  So, I'm happy to stay with my enclosure.  Also, even though there's no locking mechanism, i tried sliding the tray in with the drive and once it's in place, it's pretty sturdy, even if you hold it upside down and shake it a little, the drive won't come out.  So forget what I said before.  Besides, I don't plan on treating my drive like that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:38 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2009, 01:23 AM »
OK!  Well, all the parts are installed in the case.  Tomorrow, I'll probably power everything up and try it for the first time.  Ugh, what a pain this is.  I freaked out a little when putting the cpu fan on because the click sounds when the fan is in place were not as I expected.  I hope there are no hardware defects/damages/etc.  Still haven't opened the monitor boxes yet, either.  So tomorrow!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47 AM »
I freaked out a little when putting the cpu fan on

been there.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2009, 04:56 AM »
I freaked out a little when putting the cpu fan on
been there.
Broke that?
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2009, 06:25 AM »
I freaked out a little when putting the cpu fan on because the click sounds when the fan is in place were not as I expected.

Yeah, don't you just love that?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57 AM »
yeah, i logged in the irc chat when i was freaking out.  i put it on and off about 6 times.  i never got a good click, but i checked everything and it looked fine and sturdy.  i just hope i didn't damage anything.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2009, 12:26 PM »
i put it on and off about 6 times.
Ummm... did it come with thermal grease or a thermal patch? Generally, taking your heatsink off is a bad idea if you don't reapply thermal material, but you can usually get away with it if it's thermal patch and the system is hasn't been powered on long enough for the thermal patch to melt.
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2009, 12:47 PM »
i put it on and off about 6 times.
Ummm... did it come with thermal grease or a thermal patch? Generally, taking your heatsink off is a bad idea if you don't reapply thermal material, but you can usually get away with it if it's thermal patch and the system is hasn't been powered on long enough for the thermal patch to melt.
Yeah, there's some kind of goo on it that smeared as i took it on and off.  But i never powered it on yet.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2009, 01:04 PM »
It is important that you don't get any air bubbles in that layer of 'goo'.

If in any doubt before you switch on get a tube of ArcticSilver and some isopropyl alcohol and clean the processor and heatsink before applying fresh Arctic Silver (follow the instructions on their website).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2009, 10:27 AM »
well, i hooked everything up yesterday night and it works!  Now, I have to reorganize my office room...or basically my whole upstairs floor with all the boxes and mess.  Ugh.  I'll have pictures of it.  I know most people are expecting pictures of the system parts being put together, but there are already tons of hardware reviews out there better than anything I can do and with better pics.  This is a more personal look into what goes into a new computer purchase (at least for me).  It's a pain in the ass!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2009, 01:00 PM »
well, i hooked everything up yesterday night and it works! 

No smoke?

Epic win SB!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

w00t!!!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05 PM »
Glad there were no fireworks (you or the beast)  :-* :-*

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Thanks.  I'll try to have a summary on my website soon.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are screen savers necessary for flat panels?
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2009, 12:29 AM »
Ugh...I was running the western digital diagnostics on my new drives, and my monitors power off because of the energy saving options.  When i press a key, only one turns on, the secondary monitor with no windows in it.  So, I press enter again, which abort the diagnostic, which was about 2 hours in!

I've always hated energy saving.  Do I need it?  WIll my monitors be in danger if I set everything in the power saving options to "never"?

By the way, yes mouser, having two huge monitors is like heaven.  It's like flying business class.  Nice suggestion, as usual.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11 AM »
superboyac: first of all, you should always press a "non-destructive" key like Ctrl or Alt when getting out of power-saving mode. Enter or Space are bad (and for DOS apps, just about any non-modifier key), since they tend to alter program state if there's a dialog or messagebox, or whatever.

As for whether you need power saving, it depends. TFT/LCD monitors are susceptible of burn-in, unfortunately. Mostly happens if you have pretty static images on the monitors for many hours a day (like the data-entry software we use at post.dk). I guess if you use your box for ~8hr/day and turn off your machine at night it isn't too big a risk, but I still personally prefer having power saving enabled.

Just remember to bring the monitors back by wriggling your mouse or hitting one of the modifier keys on the keyboard, and you should be OK :)
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2009, 04:36 AM »
I agree with f0dder.

However I also hate power saving mode and my solution is simple. Turn off power saving and use a screensaver - MS even provide a screen saver which is called "blank" which basically turns off the screen. If you fancy something less boring just point a picture slideshow (one of the standard set of MS screenavers included in Windows) at you My Pictures folder (or any folder you like) and you will get a constantly changing display of your images - tyhey fade and slide around so you shouldn't get burn in problems.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42 AM »
Why do you hate power saving mode?

One thing is that it saves your screen from burn-in, but it also reduces power consumption noticeably. Besides, preventing burn-in (and you'd want "blank" for that, not a slideshow or anything else!) is just one thing, but I expect that real power-saving mode also increases the lifetime of the back-light bulbs...
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2009, 04:56 AM »
I hate PSM because like SB found it sometimes doesn't actually return you to a usable windows desktop!

FWIW when I have used PSM I found if the desktop did not appear on a mouse wiggle switching the monitor off and on again did the trick - so the ultimate PSM is simple press the power switch on the monitor!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2009, 05:00 AM »
Weird, never had that issue with any system I've used/maintained (and that's a lot :)).

System standby, on the other hand, is a darn can of worms though >_<
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2009, 05:04 AM »
I never use standby on any computer - too many times I have been bitten by that little b*****r. It amazes me that they haven't yet got it right.

Too many times drivers die during 'standby' mode never to recver until you reboot.

Its slower but I prefer hibernate if you want the ultimate PSM.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2009, 08:01 AM »
Laptops are one thing, but on a desktop, the only power saving feature I use is to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. The screensaver is set to blank after 10 minutes.

If I'll be [away/sleeping/goofing-off] for more than an hour, I just do a shutdown. :P

I'm more inclined to go with "greener" technologies (such as lower-power CPUs etc.) if I'm going to get serious about energy savings. Especially since most of my stuff doesn't sit idle enough for long enough to benefit - and PSM still has problems despite its age. You'd think they'd have it fixed by now.

------

And yes, as f0dder noted, you should use one due to the risk of possible screen burn. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:05 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2009, 10:26 AM »
ayy...it happened again.

The problem I'm having is that I have two monitors, the diagnostic is shown on the primary monitor and the other monitor is blank (extended desktop mode).  When I move the mouse or press a key to turn the monitors back on from standby, only the secondary one turns on.  I have to physically turn the primary monitor off and on using the power button to have it appear again.  Why doesn't it act the same as the secondary monitor?