topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043576 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2011, 10:16 AM »
As that chart illustrates -- complaining about simple lyrics to a song is ridiculous -- such things do not separate the good from the bad.

Here's a nice (NSFW because of language) take on the phenomena of people hating on her:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55 AM »
As that chart illustrates -- complaining about simple lyrics to a song is ridiculous -- such things do not separate the good from the bad.

Even though it often brings out The Ugly.  ;D

(Seriously. It wasn't that horrendous a song. No worse than many. And she is just a kid.)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:58 AM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2011, 12:38 AM »
mouser really loved Parry Gripp's Cat Flushing a Toilet song/video, so I thought I'd share a couple more by him.

Young Girl Talking About Herself: I actually really like the music to this one. But of course the lyrics are just silly.

iPad: Watch for the plot twist partway through the song!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Hehe, yeah I love the Parry Gripp videos. I heard a few of them separately but didn't really grok that they were all from the same person/people. Creative and fun(ny). :)

- Oshyan

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Something I've become very interested in lately is the 3-string guitar.

But first, a confession: I'm not a big a fan of The Blues.

I know it's cool to like blues music. Some people almost grant it religious status. And a few countries (most notably the UK) have a long list of "blues" players (Clapton, Mayall, et al) whose devotion and admiration for the idiom borders on fetishistic.

Whatever...

Maybe because my primary instrument is electric bass, I get bored holding down a groove based on pentatonic scales and a I-IV-V chord progression. I'm sure it's a lot more fun to play blues if you're a guitarist. But as a bassist, I find it 'kinda boring' after a while. (Note: a great many bass players will disagree with me on that point.)

So while looking for a more interesting role for myself when musical friends gather to commit an act of Blues, I stumbled on something called the cigar box guitar. The CBG is an American folk instrument that was popular around the turn and early part of the 20th century (ca 1890 to 1930 approx), and extensively used in various blues forms, most notably Delta Blues.

This was the Poor Man's Martin. Put together with scraps of lumber, salvaged hardware, and a wooden cigar box for the body, they were both easy and cheap to build. Most had three strings and were hand made by people who knew as much about traditional guitar making as they did particle physics. But despite their humble trash bin origins, these instruments were capable of producing some amazing sounds. And in the hands of a real musician, were also capable of producing some superb music. Many big name blues guitarists, including B.B. King, have owned and played CBGs.

And they're still being built today.

CBG.jpg
Note the drain cover 'rosette,' the eyebolt 'bridge' and what I think are inverted cheese shaker lids for 'resonators.'

CBGs have enjoyed a bit of a renaissance over the last several years as more and more musicians are discovering just how unique and musical an instrument it is. So unique and musical that it even got me (closet bass snob extraordinaire) interested in the Blues for the first time in my life.

McNairThumb.jpg Here's a video put together by a CBG builder John McNair to demonstrate what you can do with one of these instruments. Link here.

(Note: Guitar people!  Check out that AXL AA-DSP-10 ThinAmp Portable Amplifier he plugs into. Amazing what $139 can get you assuming you can still find one of these terrific little amps! Check eBay since they're no longer being made last I heard.)

The CBG is probably the most common manifestation of the 3-string guitar. But other musicians, in keeping with the "found art" tradition of 3-string guitar building, have adapted the concept to whatever was at hand.

Enter Seasick Steve and his 3-string "Trance Wonder" guitar...

-Seasick Steve and the Three-String Trance Wonder

SEasick.jpg

Where would the three string be without Ol' SeaSick???? He is perhaps the most revered player who still graces the stage with his beat up 3 string and always leaves the crowd wanting more.

His sound is super ranchy, ultra primitive and distintly Southen in its flavor . His guitar is a generic unbranded guitar from Japan that has an old Harmony pickup added and is played tuned to G, G and B using an E string in the A position, a D in the G position and a G in the B position.

At his gigs, he often tells the story that he bought it for $75 in this condition in Como, Mississippi from a man named Sherman, who later told him he only paid $25 for it the day before. He vowed never to add another string, and that he would tour the world telling his story of how Sherman ripped him off. All in good fun as Sherman Cooper is a good buddy, who gave him the guitar having had it nailed to the wall as a decoration. A lot of the time he also adds (while picking up or putting away the guitar) that it is the "...biggest piece of shit in the world, I swear"....

Watch Seasick and his Trance Wonder in action performing Cut My Wings here.

CutMyWings.jpg

Gotta love that homebrew box drum (with Mississippi license plate 'resonator') he stomps out the time on.  ;D Get one of those and you won't need a drummer.

There's a pile of other videos by him up on YouTube. Especially good is: I Started Out with Nothin' (And I still got most of it left!). Link here. For this he uses an ancient and equally beat-up god-knows-what POS 6-string that also sounds great. (Where does he find these things?)

If you like roots music (or maybe didn't think you did - like me) it's well worth checking out.

Fine music by a genuine musician. Recommended. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:05 PM by 40hz, Reason: fixed spelling & some awkward grammar »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Going from 3 strings, to 14...

two-handed tapping technique on a 14 string double-neck Tapatar guitar:

My dad, the jazz nut, doesn't really care for Flint Blade, but I do. I think I enjoy watching him almost as much as listening. He has more videos uploaded, so if you like this one, check out some of his others.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59 AM »
@April - Cool find.

Wow! a Tapatar. 'Big cousin' to the Chapman Stick and among the rarest of rare bird (as in weird) instruments... you're the only person I know (other than me) who ever heard of it. Zither meets clavichord in a portable form factor.  Even the Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for that puppy. Not even sure if it shows up on Google yet. (It didn't used to.) ;D

Didn't know about this Flint Blade however. The only Tapatar player I'm familiar with is a gent by the name of Michael Bianco. There's a video of him here playing something a little more up my alley than most stuff that gets performed on stick-type 'tap' instruments.

8) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:07 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29 PM »
This guy changed my mind about Chapman Stick.
Never was really impressed until I heard this.
Turns my crank and chills me out at the same time:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Didn't know about this Flint Blade however. The only Tapatar player I'm familiar with is a gent by the name of Michael Bianco. There's a video of him here playing something a little more up my alley than most stuff that gets performed on stick-type 'tap' instruments.

From what I understand, Michael Bianco designed the Tapatar...and Flint Blade was one of his students.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2011, 12:42 PM »
And while everybody's in an acoustic mood, here's a guy who changed my mind on neo-classical fingerpicking...
Ewan Dobson

Time 2 - Did he just play trance music on a guitar?

Korobeiniki - AKA the Tetris song.

Wash Away - Reminds me of summertime on some island somewhere oh so much nicer than here...

(and no, I don't know what's going on with the crazy costumes... :huh: )

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: April 07, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Just went looking for some other Michael Bianco videos (I wasn't that familiar with him), and OMG I THINK I AM IN LOVE!  :-*

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Awesome stuff everyone. I love how this thread has gone through so many variations. I'm digging this latest string instrument kick, especially the creative/unusual tack. Particularly enjoying the CBG stuff and Ewan Dobson.

Tapatar is cool, similar to what I used to do (as a total non-guitarist) to "play" a guitar and have fun. But it seems a bit too random-ish and frenetic in some instances (hit as many complementary notes as fast as you can!). There's clearly lots of talent there though.

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Wow. I'm really impressed with Rob Martino and Ewan Dobson! I'm considering buying Rob Martino's album. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04 AM »
great stuff :)
especially enjoying the "trance music on a guitar" (Ewan Dobson) and Seasick Steve :up:
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2011, 06:47 AM »
especially enjoying the "trance music on a guitar" (Ewan Dobson) :up:

+1 on Dobson.  Especially that first song. His time is so dead-on it's almost unreal. You could calibrate a metronome off his beat it's so precise. Amazing! Love to play a 'long set' with that guy someday.  :)

(Are those military and Ninja costumes in reference to the Vietnam War? Or Free Tibet...or a MMORPG character...or something? Anybody know whats up with that?)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:23 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I went to see the Dead Kennedys the other night, and they rocked!

Pictures are here:

Dead Kennedys Concert Pictures

They kicked with "Holiday in Cambodia" so badly, that I don't know if I can ever appreciate it the same way again. It was so absolutely spectacular!

Here's a link for it on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.c...in+cambodia&aq=f

And just for fun, here are some pictures from my holiday in Cambodia:

http://www.flickr.co...smyth/tags/cambodia/

Cambodia was fantastic!

And proof that a "holiday in Cambodia" can be "shitty":

http://www.flickr.co...yansmyth/5290271428/

And proof that there's a lot of beauty in Cambodia:

http://www.flickr.co...yansmyth/5290275736/

But... for the uninitiated, the DKs kick!

Live... man... way way way off the hook!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Been a while since my last post, so here's a few more that I really enjoy:

Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You (Live)
I never get tired of Satriani, and this song is just...  :-*

...and this one with Grace Potter, Joe Satriani, Steve Kimock, Reed Mathis, Willy Waldman and Stephen Perkins, where they cover Neil Young's Cortez the Killer, is fantastic:

To keep up with the guitar-theme, here's another sublime song to round of this post:

God is a Astronaut - Snowfall

The video isn't official, but I think it suits the song really well.

Enjoy! :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21 PM »

Now you are wandering into my favorite genre (post-rock).  :-*

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34 PM »

Now you are wandering into my favorite genre (post-rock).  :-*

A lot of great music to be found in that genre :) Oh and that reminds me, I don't think I've posted this video before. One of my favorites, Kwoon - I lived on the moon

(HD version can be found here)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2011, 05:50 PM »
that I lived on the moon video has been posted before in this thread, but it's worth another post -- very very moving.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2011, 06:06 PM »
that I lived on the moon video has been posted before in this thread, but it's worth another post -- very very moving.
Moving, beautifully done, great visual style. Definitely worth watching again! :-*
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30 AM »
especially enjoying the "trance music on a guitar" (Ewan Dobson) :up:

+1 on Dobson.  Especially that first song. His time is so dead-on it's almost unreal. You could calibrate a metronome off his beat it's so precise. Amazing! Love to play a 'long set' with that guy someday.  :)

Look up the "Time 2 Techno Remix" at Grooveshark (the only place I've found it), it's like they didn't even have to adjust the bpm on the drum machine.
(Techno's not my thing, but the piece kinda lends itself, noam sayin'?)

(Are those military and Ninja costumes in reference to the Vietnam War? Or Free Tibet...or a MMORPG character...or something? Anybody know whats up with that?)

Somebody in one of the Youtube comments made a disparaging remark about his "Raiden costume", whatever that means...
Maybe this?

Either way, if anybody's interested, he's got some free(!) downloads at his page:
http://www.ewandobson.com
Just hit the 'Download' tab.  :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2011, 09:01 AM »

Oh dear, I think I just dropped something...
Oh yes, there it is...
jawbone.png

Now, what was I watching?

Ben Konstantinovic - The Journey

Screenshot-3.png

Yes, that's it... Aw hell, I've dropped it again...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:10 AM by Edvard »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32 AM »
...and this one with Grace Potter, Joe Satriani, Steve Kimock, Reed Mathis, Willy Waldman and Stephen Perkins, where they cover Neil Young's Cortez the Killer, is fantastic:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q
+1  
Initially I found Satriani's guitar sound too clean (for the song that's in it) but he is really good, and I just love the trumpet, it makes it I think - and naturally the singing, and, and... :)

One of my favorites, Kwoon - I lived on the moon
if you're up to a 10 min track that only starts to warm up at the 3 min mark, I like this one by them - Kwoon - Ayron Norya

edit/ added link
Tom

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Wow, awesome stuff from Mr. Konstantinovic. As I said above I used to "play" guitar similarly to this (much the same way people, including myself, randomly fiddle around on pianos and other instruments), but I had no idea it was considered a legitimate technique and could be taken to such an amazing level. Just goes to show there's no "wrong" way to play anything, as long as it sounds good!

- Oshyan