topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 007 James Bond  (Read 10378 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
007 James Bond
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:27 PM »
You will have to imagine for yourself the attached images that came along with this e-mail today:

James Bond is walking in the park

he meets a genuine Bond-girl, and stops

he is looking thoroughly at her , but then he looks at this watch

she is noticing this, and asks if he is waiting to meet someone

"No, I am just testing my super hi-tech watch which is talking to me"

"Oh, and what is your watch telling you right now?"

"It is telling me that you are not wearing any underwear"

"Well, in fact I am wearing underwear"

Bond is looking at his watch again, and says,

"Oh, it must be an hour ahead!"

So, you see, you must remember to set back the clock, one hour (Saturday night)! Put on your underwear, girls; No more summertime! Well, that goes for Europe. Are America and Asia also changing back from summer-time (even though you call it something different) to normal-time, this week-end??  :tellme:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 007 James Bond
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Are America and Asia also changing back from summer-time (even though you call it something different) to normal-time, this week-end??  :tellme:

Here in Eastern Australia, (including SA but excluding QLD - which makes it really SE Australia I guess - so it should be ASEDST instead of AEDST - I think I'll patent it before they use it  :P ), the powers that be decided that we'd now switch to DST, (Daylight Saving Time), the first Sunday of October now instead of the last.   And last year they decided it would now end on the first Sunday of April.

This is brilliant, just after Western Australia decided to trial it from 2006-2009 in line with the original starting/ending dates, (last Sun Oct -> last Sun March), to help business stay in synch with the rest of the country, the idiots in the rest of the country go and change it............typically stupid state governments.

You can see the various changes DST has gone through in Australia here.

I hate Summer - there is never any need for more than 12 hours of light in the day  :(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:11 PM »
In the USA it's now the first weekend in November.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:07 AM »
What is the purpose of DST in this day and age? We have fluorescent light now, and any apparent benefits of DST to certain business and industrial activities is far from being established as a fact.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:11 AM »
Around here (Scandinavia) one of the reasons for still accepting Summer-time, DST, is for the day-time working people to have the chance be a little more in the sunshine, in order to fight lack-of-light related depressions :-)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Doesn't matter too much if you go far enough north, though. No sun at all during winter and the sun "refuses" to go down set all through summer :p

edited to avoid the obious pun  :o
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:22 AM by TucknDar »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 06:39 AM »
edited to avoid the obious pun

Up north they're probably glad to see the sunwake in the morning...

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 06:46 AM »
 8)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:06 AM »
I still think the disadvantages of DST (namely people forgetting to turn their clocks back or forward) outweigh the advantages. It would be interesting to see if anyone has done a survey of how many work hours are lost per year due to DST related accidents.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:51 AM »
- said the guy from the sunny Australia...

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I think the time change is a terrible thing.

I live in NJ, commuting east in the morning toward NYC and back west again in the evening, so I'm always driving into the sun. Obviously, because of the size of NYC, there are many people making this same drive, so there's lots of traffic and lots of people are affected, and I daresay that the same situation applies anywhere there's a city that's not on the west coast.

There's a certain time period twice a year where the sun shines into your eyes below the elevation angle of your car's visor. This happens once as the days get longer (and the sunrise earlier) in the spring, and again as they move later, in the fall. During these periods there is a huge increase in traffic as folks hit the brakes because it's hard to drive with the sun in your eyes. I don't have stats, but I believe that there's a concomitant increase in accidents.

The thing is, the timing of the daylight savings changes forces us to pass through these dangerous periods twice per cycle. Once we've gone through it once in the spring, and the sun has risen high enough that it's not a danger, we have to set our clocks back an hour so once again the sun is under the visor, directly in the eyes, and causing traffic accidents.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Around here (Scandinavia) one of the reasons for still accepting Summer-time, DST, is for the day-time working people to have the chance be a little more in the sunshine, in order to fight lack-of-light related depressions :-)

I think they should keep summer-time the whole year round.
In the depths of winter in the average job it's dark when people leave home and dark when they get back so not much difference there.
Current affect of winter time here is that it's already nearly dark when "average worker" gets home - but more bright in the mornings -
actually I was thinking probably the main reason to change back (to winter time) is to help people actually get up in the mornings - me, I'd prefer the daylight later in the day ...
or a 5 hour winter working day would be another solution ;D
Tom

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:36 AM »
or a 5 hour winter working day would be another solution ;D
It makes me wonder how our civilisation would look like if humans could go to sleep for winter (like some mammals do).
One thing for sure: my belly should be a barrel in this part of year :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10 AM »
My opinion on DST?
I think they should have us set our clocks for a half-hour back and LEAVE IT THERE!

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 02:17 AM »
I think they should have us set our clocks for a half-hour back and LEAVE IT THERE!

I live in China where they do not have DST and it is hard waking up in the morning and the sun has already been up for 2 hours and then walking home at night in the dark when it is only 6pm. It really puts your sleep pattens out. When I was in NZ it only toke two or three days to get use to the hour change but in China without DST it is a lot harder.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I live in China where they do not have DST
I think the issue with China is that the whole darned country -- and big one it is -- only observes a single timezone. At over 5200km east-to-west (over 3200 miles), that's a lot of longitude degrees in one chunk.

Compare this to the continental USA, which is less than 2800 miles at its widest point, but observes 4 time zones.

losttvseries

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 01:20 AM »
China where they do not
you can download online