topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Special Recognition and Present for DC Member Eric Wong (VideoInPicture  (Read 12537 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DonationCoder.com recently teamed up with fellow DC Member Chris Hanscom from Veign.com to sponsor a small programming challenge.  Chris and I agonized over who to award the grand prize (a $10K MSDN Visual Studio Bundle) to, and eventually ended up giving it to longtime DC member Eoin O'Callaghan.

The person who we almost awarded to the prize was Eric Wong (VideoInPicture) who stumbled upon DC right as the programming challenge was announced.  To our extremely pleasant surprise, Eric didn't skip a beat when he didn't win the grand prize, and just kept on coding and sharing his creations with the rest of us.  He wrote some coding snacks based on requests on the forum, and has been actively working on his programs based on feedback from everyone here.  He's really added a lot to the site.

So.. when Chris unexpectedly got his hands on another of the giant Visual Studio Bundles to give away.. We both immediately thought of Eric, and it was clear to us both that the thing to do was to give this copy to Eric as a gesture of thanks and recognition for his work.

It's a great feeling to be able to recognize Eric's contributions in this way, and I want to thank Chris for letting me and DC be part of the process.

-mouser

ps.
There are a huge number of you who contribute to DC, both in coding and in other ways -- and I hope no one feels like they are being taken for granted when we giveaway something like this to one particular person.  It's impossible to thank everyone properly who helps make this site a better place -- i hope you will join me in viewing these things from the standpoint of a victory for one of us being a victory for all of us.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations Eric.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your cool contributions, Eric!

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
When giving away the MSDN subscriptions I have always tried to give it away to individuals who would put it to great use.  Because of this, it has always been a natural fit giving them away through DC.  When I came across an extra one, I had given thought on what to do with it.  Maybe another contest?  Then I remember how difficult it was for us to choose a winner the last time - we actually discussed if the MSDN could be split (which it couldn't).  Eric was the perfect candidate for it.

Eric, enjoy it as you deserve it.

(please send me a message through the message system in DC with your email address and I will get you the information on getting the MSDN subscription)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:15 PM by Veign »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is always nice to see that somebody's work has been appreciated in such way :)
Congrats!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is very pleasing to see this being done. I believe it to be very much in the spirit of DonationCoder.

Congratulations to Eric (well deserved!) and profound thanks to Chris Hanscom and Mouser for cooking up such an excellent idea.

Thanks, too, to everyone who contributes to making DC such a good place to hang around.
To those who contribute knowledge, advice, time, thought, civility and -- most importantly -- participation at any level.... THNAK YOU ALL.

(Now, if someone could only contribute a little proofreading effort...)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:43 PM by cranioscopical »

VideoInPicture

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Wow,
Thank you! I don't know how I missed this thread yesterday since I was browsing the forums! Guess my university classes are clouding up my head.  :D

This is very unexpected and I feel honored. Thank you Veign & mouser!

I'll put that Visual Studio subscription to good use. I've wanted to do some more C++ coding with the MFC since it has some special features not available in other languages but it's not included in the Express edition I use. I know that the Visual Studio 2008 SP1 MFC includes libraries to create the Microsoft Ribbon interface to Microsoft specifications so that'll be something for me to play with. Also, it's always nice to be able to test my programs on older versions of Windows and especially the 64-bit versions! I guess it's time to find a 1 TeraByte hard drive and get to downloading!  :D

Eric Wong
Author of Circle Dock: http://circledock.wikidot.com
Author of Video In Picture: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com
Author of Webcam Signature: http://webcamsignature.wikidot.com
Author of Easy Unicode Paster: http://easyunicodepaster.wikidot.com

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
You deserve it Eric.  Just put it to good use...

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations to Eric - well deserved!  :Thmbsup:

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations Eric.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The whole process and award reflect great credit on everyone involved.  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chris Hanscom has long distinguished himself with great programs. Nice to see Eric stepping up. What a great find.

Now Eric, about that Linux software you were going to write....   ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations Eric!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
You really deserve it.
And thanks to mouser and veign for that kind gesture. DC is a great place.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
This is great news. I for one am glad when coders who give their time voluntarily are rewarded for it. Hope this attracts more coders and software junkies to DC.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
congrats Eric!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... I thought I'd posted in this thread earlier, but haven't so am correcting the oversight: Congratulations, Eric!  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
men49.gif

Congratulations Eric. I'm sure it took many long nights.