topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Damn it, why don't I ever learn. Anyone else having this problem with Firefox 3?  (Read 7161 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So things were finally settling down and after fighting the temptation for so long, I just had to "increase" my Firefox extension list and all was working dandy when I closed it.

Then I opened it up today, FF updated to 3.0.2 and now all my extensions have disappeared and my add-on screen seems corrupted. I don't mean disabled extensions. I mean ALL extensions just don't appear and when you go to the add-on screen and click on anything, it just hangs.

Everything else seems to be working fine though but it acts like vanilla Firefox all over again without the ability to use any of the extensions ever. God, damn it! I need a hit yourself in the head smiley for this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I need a hit yourself in the head smiley for this.

:wallbash:

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks.  :)

Oh well...back to mainly using Opera.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You could use safe mode and enable a few extensions at a time to root out the offender/s.

I backup my FF installation (program folder, profiles, reg keys) daily just to avoid this kind of a mess, it restores without a hitch when needed.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I was considering that but I just wasn't in the mood. This requires going through all my extensions one by one which I just had to add on the day before an upgrade that I didn't know about and there's no easy way to tell the problem because all my extensions (meaning all those buttons disappeared) no longer work so...aaarrrgghhh...sorry, this is driving me to ADHD.

It's precisely the problem I had back then when I was starting out with Firefox so I specifically avoided all the troublesome add-ons and I was tolerant of extensions sometimes not working on the newer version but this is too much for me.

Oh and I just do the lazy way of having Flock around to import all the files I need when this happens but it's still annoying.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Paul: When you get Firefox to work again, you may want to visit Make Incompatible Firefox Add-ons Compatible.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks sri but I know of that extension already. I just never bothered because I often use the opportunity to use a blank version of Firefox to check out all the new extensions that I never tried just right around when a new version of FF is announced. (Best time to check out new extensions IMO)

Incompatible extensions don't bother me that much. It's the bugs that result from arguing extensions that causes me to pull my hair out of my head in frustration. (Tab Mix Plus and All-in-One Sidebar being famous for these)

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paul,

No problem here. I updated FF to 3.0.2 yesterday and fortunately all of my 61 extensions (the list of which I uploaded the other day in this thread) work like a charm. I see that you and I have a few extensions in common, so you can (probably) discard those as the "offending" ones
By the way, I recommend the FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) for these cases. I'd likely speed up the process of reinstalling and testing the extensions quite a bit.

I'll have what she's having
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:11 PM by city_zen »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
if you make a new profile are you able to add extensions?
you could add them one at a time then ... if you think it's worth it ;)
Tom

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I might just have to do that. This doesn't look like an extension problem, even just enabling and clicking on Adblock's option screen causes the extension page to freeze.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm still using Firefox 3.01. I have learned throughout all the initial FF beta versions to NOT allow Firefox to automatically upgrade; I have the upgrader configured to find and notify me about new releases of Firefox and extensions, but not install them - I do that manually when I feel it is safe.

Too many times I have upgraded right away and then found that many of the extensions don't work. And I really love the response you get on Mozillazine if you inquire about it at all - "I don't use ANY extensions. Why do you need extensions?" Ha! As I often say: The best thing about Firefox are the extensions. Ans the worst thing about Firefox are the extensions."  To be honest, I wouldn't even use Firefox without extensions. And I hate when they release a new version and most extensions stop working. Hate it!

I always wait now until I see that there are no big bugs, and until all my extensions catch up with the new release.

Jim

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Too many times I have upgraded right away and then found that many of the extensions don't work. And I really love the response you get on Mozillazine if you inquire about it at all - "I don't use ANY extensions. Why do you need extensions?" Ha! As I often say: The best thing about Firefox are the extensions. Ans the worst thing about Firefox are the extensions."  To be honest, I wouldn't even use Firefox without extensions. And I hate when they release a new version and most extensions stop working. Hate it!

I always wait now until I see that there are no big bugs, and until all my extensions catch up with the new release.

Same here. That was why I switched to Firefox 3 after RC. It was the most stable at that time, edging out even FF2 and all the new extensions that were most likely not going to be obsolete for this version was updated already or so I thought.

If there was any doubt that this wasn't an extension problem, this was it. Flock beta also recently upgraded to follow with FF3 specifications most likely and it also ruined my add-ons and the list of extensions I had on it were close to nil compared to Firefox.

Even more glaring is that when I tried to switch to Flock/FF2 it wouldn't fix the problem at all and my add-ons still hang once you click on the options button in the add-on screen so this is definitely not a run of the mill case.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to take into account where you said you were using FF3. Yeah, I didn't know Firefox would auto-update. Bad decision on my part.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:08 AM by Paul Keith »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problem solved. Ok, I need another "hit myself in the head" smiley again.

Turns out this wasn't FF's fault and it had to do with me accidentally setting all subfolders as hidden back then. Was too lazy to unhide each of them and what ends up happening is that when the program updated, it couldn't see the profile because it was hidden.

Sorry for the false assumption.