topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Links to Review and Comments - Add yours!  (Read 158067 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Links to Review and Comments - Add yours!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 10:53 AM »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Oh no! Mousey's head just swole a little bit  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Thank you Ampa for your very nice comment on that blog post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Nice one from makeuseof.com today, yay!

I had been using launchy as my preferred program launcher for quite some time, until I found FARR...

There are plenty of options and functionality offered by FARR to satisfy all. If you are a diligent tweaker, you have loads of options to play with and customize according to your taste. If you are an average user, use the default options and you are good to go. The large plugin list and an involved community provide the icing on the FARR Cake!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Note that HamRadio is releasing a really nice notetaking plugin for FARR in the next day or so, so stay tuned for that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 04:23 AM »
Johnny Karp over at the great FreewareMission (we've posted about that site before here), has put up a nice review of FARR:

"Find And Run Robot is one of the best freeware programs I’ve tested lately, it’s portable, fast, powerful, lightweight and highly customizable. In order to use the program you have to get a free license key, you can download one once you create an account on the DonationCoder forum. I also encourage you to donate a few bucks to support this great community and the awesome freeware programs that they are making."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:40 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 03:19 PM »
This one really made my day today, it's cnet's latest edition of their "Windows Starter Kit 2010", recommending essential freeware tools for windows:

"In Utilities, we added Revo Uninstaller, threw in a second Notepad replacement, and replaced Launchy with Find and Run Robot... a must-have whether you're on a desktop or a laptop."

cnetstarterkit.jpg

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23 PM »
this is a fantastic news for DoCo in general. good work, mouser.. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25 AM »
well deserved mouser :) congrats
Tom

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05 AM »
Wow! :o :up:

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 08:26 AM »
 :Thmbsup: FARR really has unique and powerful features so it couldn't go any other way!  ;)
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Fantastic, congratulations Mouser!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Nice review here today, and a cool site as well  :up:

http://www.ilovefree...ent-for-launchy.html

Screenshot - 12_3_2009 , 3_03_24 PM_thumb.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29 AM »
This has to be one of the most cogent reviews of FARR that i've read so far..

It promises to be the ultimate program for keyboard maniacs. But, can it deliver? Let’s find out... A quick glance at the option and it becomes evident that FARR is not something intended for faint hearted.. My only real grudge with FARR is that it doesn’t index the start menu. The developers should definitely consider adding this option in the future – at the very least as a non-default option.. FARR is a remarkable application. It sits quietly in the background, uses very little resources and jumps into action whenever you need it. FARR is a huge productivity booster and once you get used to it, other alternatives like Launchy will appear dumb in comparison.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 05:12 PM »
I never noticed this thread.  Just wanted to add my website's review here:
http://aram.dcmember...tware/findrun-robot/

Good software (good hosting!).  Thanks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50 AM »
just noticed this write-up of Farr here, where the blogger focuses on freeware for netbooks. btw, he also mentions LaunchBar Commander here.

Farr-write-up-08_06_2010-001.pngLinks to Review and Comments - Add yours!

http://www.netbookfr...on-launcher-netbooks

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 08:55 AM »
just noticed this write-up of Farr here, where the blogger focuses on freeware for netbooks. btw, he also mentions LaunchBar Commander here.
 (see attachment in previous post)
http://www.netbookfr...on-launcher-netbooks
Hey!  What the hell!  That guy totally ripped off my review!  Same pictures and everything!  What the hell is going on!  This is the same thing as I was talking about in my thread about SEO ruining the web.  I call BS on this review. 

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Hey!  What the hell!  That guy totally ripped off my review!  Same pictures and everything!  What the hell is going on!  This is the same thing as I was talking about in my thread about SEO ruining the web.  I call BS on this review. 

oops, sorry about that. shall i edit my post and remove the links? please advise.. otoh, no wonder it looked familiar..

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16 AM »

oops, sorry about that. shall i edit my post and remove the links? please advise.. otoh, no wonder it looked familiar..
You can leave it, no problem.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26 PM »

Ok, this is weird and interesting.  This guy's site is obviously way more popular than mine.  Now, his article about FARR is not the same as mine, but he's using my pictures.  OK, fine.  I copy pictures around the web also.  But even though his words are different, the review has an eerily similar feel.  I think my review is way better, and you can tell it is done more genuinely or with more love, whatever you want to call it. :D  you know your moms always say they cook with love?  Like that...

More coincidences?  Or is something fishy?
This guy's website uses the EXACT same theme that I use (or was using until a couple of weeks ago).  It's by this author Justin Tadlock, and the the theme is called Hybrid (for Wordpress) and the specific child theme is called Hybrid News.  Coincidence?  i don't know.  But I'm always suspicious of these things because of the massive amounts of scraping/copying that goes on in the web world today.  And the fact that this guy's site is way more popular than mine makes me even more suspicious.  Anyway, it seems strange to me, that's all.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2010, 04:45 PM »
One more comment, sorry!
This reminds me of a very strange situation that happened to me in 9th grade.  There was this guy that sat next to me in my biology class.  Back then, i would draw a lot.  I would mostly draw comics.  Well, one day, I created my own superhero called "Smasher".  Well, I was showing it to this guy.  Then I forgot about it, and some time later, i found out that I had lost the drawing.  A few days, this guy comes back and gives me back my drawing that he had sort of stolen.  But then, he showed me a drawing that he had made.  It was an almost exact copy of my drawing!  it was the weirdest thing.  We were not close friends or anything.  we didn't even really talk about drawing or anything.  He just took my drawing one day, and came back with his own.  it was all very silent and strange.  I know, you guys are thinking that I should have been flattered.  but I wasn't.  it was just weird.  I had no idea this guy was into comics, or drawing, or anything like that.  his name was Kevin, I think.

OK, now I remembered another story.  This time I was flattered.  Later in high school, I would draw Calvin and Hobbes drawings.  i would take my favorite scenes and blow them up.  I would take forever and be very meticulous, no tracing, all by hand.  back then, my little sister (6 years younger) was always like my shadow.  She liked following me and doing all the things I did.  And like the typical idiot brother, I was always annoyed by it and treated her rather badly, in my opinion.  I feel horrible about this whenever I think about it.  Anyway, one day I can home from school and saw that my sister had attempted her own Calvin and Hobbes drawings based on my copies!  So for a moment, my heart was a little softened.  Actually, it almost makes me tear up thinking about it now.  The drawing was very crude and practically unrecognizable as Calvin and Hobbes, other than the colors and Calvin's striped shirt.  But the idea of here sitting at her desk trying to copy her older brother, I don't know, it's just touching.  we would fight all the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:56 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Nice review here today, and a cool site as well  :up:

http://www.ilovefree...ent-for-launchy.html

(see attachment in previous post)
AHHH!!  Ok, this site also seems suspicious.  it is almost the same website as the other one above.  It ALSO uses the same theme that I use!!  The article is different.  They use one of the same pictures that I use on mine.  I'm telling you, these reviews are NOT written out of the goodness of their hearts...at least, I don't think so.  i swear there is some kind of ulterior motive taking place here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05 PM »
um...

i think the ilovefreesoftware.com site has been around for quite a while and has been a friend to dc for a while.
here's one on our nany event: http://www.ilovefree...t-donationcoder.html

so consider me confused.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010, 06:47 PM »
um...

i think the ilovefreesoftware.com site has been around for quite a while and has been a friend to dc for a while.
here's one on our nany event: http://www.ilovefree...t-donationcoder.html

so consider me confused.
I'm not saying I'm even close to 100% sure.  I'm just suspicious, that's all.  I'm sure if I find out the whole story, it will make sense.  Any friend of DC is a friend of mine!

DocSavage

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Legend in my own mind
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Just random musings about FARR:
Today I learned that MS has a vulnerability in shortcut icons. Their Fix is to take the graphics out of the shortcut link. As I thought about whether I wanted such a fix, I realized how seldom I click on icon shortcuts anymore. Using FARR is quicker & trains me to use the keyboard more anyway.
BTW, I uses alt + spacebar to bring up FARR.
From believing in Santa to not believing in Santa, from being Santa to looking like Santa, I will never be younger than I am today!