topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your most used SPECIAL programs  (Read 156787 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your most used SPECIAL programs
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2011, 03:12 PM »
The default RIOT 0.3.3.0 plugin in IrfanView is a lite version, not an old version [...] maybe that was what you meant.

It's what I couldn't remember  :-[  Thanks for the clarification!

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Suppose you have a JPEG and are curious about its specs. Common questions could be...how much compression was used? was chroma subsampling used and how much? has the image been edited?

JPEGsnoop is a JPEG file decoding utility which can answer these types of questions.
http://www.impulsead...hoto/jpeg-snoop.html :
JPEGsnoop reports a huge amount of information, including: quantization table matrix (chrominance and luminance), chroma subsampling, estimates JPEG Quality setting, JPEG resolution settings, Huffman tables, EXIF metadata, Makernotes, RGB histograms, etc. Most of the JPEG JFIF markers are reported. In addition, you can enable a full huffman VLC decode, which will help those who are learning about JPEG compression and those who are writing a JPEG decoder.

Neat little utility--seems "special" enough to me. And lots of interesting information on that ImpulseAdventure site.

NOTE: The site says its portable, but apparently they mean portable in the limited no-install sense (ie. JPEGsnoop writes to both registry and user data).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2011, 05:58 PM »
-really fine :-) Thanks!

But, hmm..., "overload" springs to mind. Do you know if JPEGsnoop can be told to leave out certain informations? As an example, I really don't want the loooong lists of Huffman tables.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Ha! I know what you mean about overload--when they say "a huge amount of info" they mean just that.

Sorry, I checked and don't see how to exclude certain info such as the Huffman table data.

When I first started using JPEGsnoop, I was a bit overwhelmed as I parsed through all that info. Really more than I want to know, to be honest. At this point, I scroll to the bottom where quality %, chroma subsampling, and editing assessment are given.

Mattphoes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Windows Clippings come to mind. The best screenshot software out there.

And PhraseExpress could be my next best friend. It is a Clipboard Manager and Text Replacment (Autotext) software.

SyncBack is the very best backup/dir sync util.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2011, 09:57 AM »
My most used SPECIAL program has got to be Fallout 2. I haven't seen the SPECIAL system used in any thing besides fallout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04 PM »
My most used SPECIAL program has got to be Fallout 2. I haven't seen the SPECIAL system used in any thing besides fallout.

SPECIAL system? VATS that? ;D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57 AM »
..., but when I tried Reshade Image Enlarger I came to realize the difference between being fairly good and being the best. I have been very impressed with Reshade. And shouldn't I: The normal asking price is $150 !!!  ...

I thought Reshade Image Enlarger was abandoned, but it turns out that it has been maintained and updated all along. But because the updates all were minor (and seldom), the "update now"-button in the program didn't tell anything - making me think the company has died. They are alive and are now at version 2.0 Pre-release (of 2. December 2010), and promising version 2.0 Final also will come some day. Reshade Image Enlarger is on offer at Bits du Jour today, Wednesday 25 May 2011, but it is not cheap: $100 instead of now $200 !!! I paid $75 incl VAT (instead of $150) when I purchased a license a year ago. I still think it is an impressive image enlarger - The Best I have tried.

http://www.bitsdujou...hade-image-enlarger/

Edited 21 June 2011:
the listed price now is $139
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:50 PM by Curt »

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Hello all,

I just looked at pages 7 and 8 of the thread, no time to read everything, but here are my two bits:

Compare IT 4.0 for comparing two files side by side.

chmZoomer to zoom chm files. They are sometimes to small for my weakening eyes.

I usually google for programs that fit one or more special needs. If they work, I buy them. And if I need something really special, I will never trade a good program for almost as good freeware, just because it is free.

The most special programs, alas, are from two donationcoder members, who programmed them just for ME and after my specifications. You can't get more special than that.

Thomas
Berlin, Germany

The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Found CobIT today, and felt several site members would find it to be a useful special-purpose program:

CobIT is a collection of internet utilities, organized and implemented into an easy to use interface. The program is fully multi-threaded and all the utilities can be used at the same time, independently of each other. The program contains several utilities: Ping, Trace route, DNS resolver, Whois, Finger, Quote , Echo and Time client. Favorite addresses and all settings all saved.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Update: I STILL use DOpus (now v.10) CONSTANTLY but would add Outlook 2010, IE9, and Feeddemon 4 to the list. Following behind are Word 2010, Excel 2010, and Powerpoint 2010. If I have these applications installed, I don't really need anything else.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Hi Folks,

Since the link for CobIT is simply the .exe here is the link from Luis Cobian's website.

CobianSoft - Obsolete Software
http://www.educ.umu....~cobian/obsolete.htm
CobIT is a collection of internet utilities, organized and implemented into an easy to use interface. The program is fully multi-threaded and all the utilities can be used at the same time, independently of each other. The program contains several utilities: Ping, Trace route, DNS resolver, Whois, Finger, Quote , Echo and Time client. Favorite addresses and all settings all saved.

Listed as "Obsolete Software" but still may be as good as most anything out there. From Cobian Backup and other software Luis Cobian has a good reputation as a freeware coder.

Shalom,
Steven

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2011, 10:36 AM »
If I have these applications installed, I don't really need anything else.
Does that mean you're going to donate all your other licenses to charity? 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2011, 08:51 AM »
If I have these applications installed, I don't really need anything else.
Does that mean you're going to donate all your other licenses to charity? 

;D Not a bad idea. I wonder how legal this would be? I'm guessing that it all depends on the individual licenses. Cripes! That's a lot of EULA's to trawl through  :o

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42 AM »
That's a lot of EULA's to trawl through
;D

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Things I would install on my pc if I had to reformat or I got a new one:

Your Uninstaller (never let me down once)
Quick Note  quick note
AutoHotkey
ObjectDock (best features leas memory use)
Keybreeze  (I now use this instead of FARR, simply because of the excellent sticky note/reminder feature)
PopPeeper   to check me email for me
StokeIT     best mouse gesture program - uses so little memory it's ridiculous!
Sygate personal firewall
Registry workshop   most reliable and safest That i have used
Winamp
BB Flash Back screen recorder
Reaper for music mixing/remixing

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2011, 11:54 AM »
My most frequently used program would be:
  • Snap 3.
  • FarstoneImage Viewer.
  • Notepad++.
  • RocketDock.
  • Yankee Clipper III.
  • Avira Free Version.
  • VLC.
           Few others which i don't use very ofte, but these are my primary programs i use everyday or evertime i open my PC. :)
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15 AM »
I thought Reshade Image Enlarger was abandoned, but it turns out that it has been maintained and updated all along. (...)

Maybe Reshade really is abandoned. There never has been a follow-up on the Beta version,(edited: "ReleaseCandidate version of August 2011), and even their >*FREE* online tool< is now giving better quality than the desktop application!

free and paid online tools: http://reshade.com/o...ge-resizer/add-image  
-warning: paid credits must be used within 2 months!!!  :down:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:15 AM by Curt, Reason: link »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50 AM »
chmZoomer to zoom chm files. They are sometimes to small for my weakening eyes.

ChmZoomer was just updated (because of today's extra offer on http://www.giveawayo...om/capturesaver-425/ => click the line "GoldGingko Software is offering a 50% discount on lifetime licenses on the giveaway day (free updates/upgrades and support for life).") to version 1.2
http://www.goldgingk.../chmzoomer/index.htm

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2013, 07:36 AM »
One of the best programs I ever found:
I use for temporary new program testing, fast (re)install purposes and virus secure web surfing: http://svs4all.com (now it´s called SWV and works on 64bit and up to windows 8)
This is a virtual environment workspace creating new files or registry changes in a temporary folder you decide. Disabling the software layers hide all things the programs did from the system. Deleting those layers deletes everything a program did with your system. Your real system and registry still keeps clear and slim and only has those changes activated if you need them. If you save something to drive C: for example all is in reality saved in a folder on your drive D: if you like (only change the folder position in your registry). So your HD backups don´t save things you do not really need.
- oh, posted this a while ago, but here you have more advantages described -