topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Will someone in this section please start creating a massive MMORPG  (Read 21740 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
We really need to see a few people here (coders, artists, storytellers, gameplayers) get together and design a cool new funny fun MMORPG game instead of spending so much time playing store bought games.  It's much more fulfilling.

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like a great idea....I am sure we have a lots of RPG fans here, and they know what gives them the most thrill :)

and clever code peoples has already shown that they master their trade.....and I....weeellll I look forward to play it, and to applaud :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
even if you dont plan on coding it.. it would be a great project to just seem some people here working on designing it.

the pleasure one gets from playing a game pales so much in comparison with the pleasure and satisfaction of designing one.

Rhutobello

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have never done anything like it, code, design, how to put together....but if I am able to help, then you can all count me in:)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
A MMORPG is a pretty massive undertaking, though, even if you go for something in the simpler end like maplestory. Heck, even going simpler and designing a text-based MUD isn't a super-trivial task...
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how about finishing Deozaan's Docoto defense instead of starting another game?

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8878.0

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
How about finishing you know what so we can make this stuff in it and more.... some day

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Graphic? Text based? Single-user? Team-based?
What form did you have in mind?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
How about a MUD with realtime scripting, so you can add new items/monsters without recompiling sourcecode & restarting the server? Yeah, I know I know, everybody wants graphics today :(
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I know I know, everybody wants graphics today :(

Not me! I'm an old time MUDder and closet Zork fan. Think GUE not GUI!  8)

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as coding, I have nothing to offer, however, I've been known to be pretty good at coming up with story ideas. I'd be more than happy to collaborate with anyone on a story for this.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I know I know, everybody wants graphics today :(

Not me! I'm an old time MUDder and closet Zork fan. Think GUE not GUI!  8)

I was going to correct your GUE until I thought maybe you did it on purpose.  :/

Emmy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Check mine out... maybe we san start from there, i created server and client back in 2007 i think.

Youtube video demo:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=t87WiRCduBk

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What kind of an MMO? MMORPG? MMOFPS? MMORTS? Another Social MMO Virtual World?

Most people who try to make an MMO as their first game fail miserably because of how complex it can be.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ankama games started with an MMO and did ok :)

Huge undertaking, indeed but would be awesome.

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • "Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
Hrmm... I saw this post the day it was made... It sparked my interest... ALOT! Im actually craving to write an MMORPG but I really am not too familiar with loading sprites, etc. in RAD Studio yet... Let me know if you have any ideas... I wouldnt mind writing something like this... Besides, i've been wanting to play something that I can enjoy... I have alot of great ideas from personal experience in Playing WoW since beta, City of Heroes/Villains, Star Wars Galaxies, and many many more MMO's... wasted alot of my life playing these games but I love them with a passion... the concept is amazing and the fact that you can unite people from different cultures/races makes it even better! Please keep me posted, send messages if you need anything... i'd like to help with something as I think this would be a cool experience to delve into!
CodeByter.com - http://www.codebyter.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Emmy, congratulations on your accomplishment.

Sometimes I spend some time in our chat channel talking to DC member Deozaan, trying to provide a little guidance on coding and trying to encourage the game players who hang out in the channel to work on writing games instead of playing them.

One thing i've noticed more and more with newer programmers is that they don't enjoy the "planning" phase as much as some of us older coders.  I think this is partly a reflection of the situation that was in place when us older coders learned how to code.

In the days of punch cards and timeshared computing (before my time), there was very little interactive computing, and as a programmer you had to be dead sure your code was correct before even submitting it to run.  So huge amounts of time were spent planning and analyzing your approach to make sure it was correct.

In my early days programming c, it could take hours to compile a large program, and i use to set the compiler going and then go have dinner(!) and come back afterwards to test the program.

I developed a true love of *PLANNING* a programming project.

In fact few things are quite as enjoyable as planning a large project -- it's fun to get out a paper and pencil and just sketch notes and data structures.

In face as the years went by and I find myself with less free time to work on all the fun project ideas I come up with, I developed a thing I call Virtual Programming.  That's when I allow myself a few hours to daydream and plan a programming project in order to get it out of my head.  Sometimes planning a project satisfies the strong urge to code it, and let's me let go of the idea and move on to other things.

All this is a way of me saying that:

Do not run away from big programming projects -- but also do not just jump into opening up your IDE and starting the code.  Sit down with a paper and pencil and plan plan plan -- exerperiment on paper with ideas and figure out how you would code it, how you would represent the data, what algorithms you would use, how would you divide up the work, etc.

Planning can be one of the funnest parts of a big project.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:54 PM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a few pointers from someone who has done it. a point to note is that Guild Wars does away with subscription fees for its online play. 8)

ws-how-to-MMO-1.png
http://www.guildwars.../gc2007/gcspeech.php

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very nice find lanux  :up:

it should be noted that his speech focuses largely on the business model for succeeding making a MMO rather than the technical/gameplay issues.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yes, but I think Ankama also had a $1,000,000 budget to make Dofus with.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps it would be more productive to contribute to an existing F/OSS mmorpg under development like planeshift.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yes, but I think Ankama also had a $1,000,000 budget to make Dofus with.

Really? Hadn't heard that... thought they were just a bunch of restlass web/flash developers.