topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: PowerCmd on Bits du Jour  (Read 23066 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PowerCmd on Bits du Jour
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Hi Folks,

PowerCmd - $9.95 today
Bits Du Jour Today
http://www.bitsdujou...m/software/powercmd/

There is a thread with a little discussion of these programs here.
https://www.donation...topic=12010.msg99824

This price is reasonable $9.95, and there may not be an equal freeware.

Any thoughts from users ? 
This does show up on GAOTD sometimes, too.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:25 AM by Steven Avery »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PowerCmd on Bits du Jour
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I took advantage of the Giveaway on the same application earlier this month and am very impressed with it. I am tempted to spend the ten bucks to get a year of updates... But I don't really use the command prompt enought to justify doing so (and I have licences for Take Command/4NT 8 and PromptPal). The best thing about PowerCMD is the speed with which it starts up - it's pretty much instant whereas the other two products I just mentioned take a few seconds.

The price is definitely right  :Thmbsup:

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:14 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I also own PromptPal. However, I do use the command prompt often and :-* the ability to do multiple panes. I made the purchase this morning.

1. Predefined layouts for groups of command prompt windows
PowerCmd allows you to group command prompts in different panes (so called split windows). You will have up to 4 groups with 6 types of predefined layout styles. If you wish to quickly shift the focused panes and input commands, just use Ctrl+1 (or Ctrl+2/Ctrl+3/Ctrl+4 for corresponding panes) to change current working pane. There are 4 samples as follows:
1group.png2groups.png3groups.png4groups.png
-Vendor's website

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33 AM »
This program is outstanding. This is going to make me a lot happier when using ftp/telnet so much nicer. (I don't want to hear the telnet hate! I'm insecure and happily so! :)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Just registered :)

Like this app, and I'm sure it'll be put to good use !

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Yeah... I wound up buying a licence, too. For $9.95, how could I NOT pay for it?! I find it useful and would like to support development.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12 PM »
My big question is can it use alternate shells, or is it stuck with cmd.exe?

Apparently it doesn't and it doesn't play well with cygwin or vi  :(

It's a no go for me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:16 PM by cthorpe »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:19 PM »

It's a no go for me.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I wonder if this is why it opens up so much more quickly than either 4NT or PromptPal? Perhaps they don't use cmd.exe? I'm speculating wildly, of course (ie I have no idea what I am talking about  :o).

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 01:08 AM »
I use cmd.exe or a little utility called lsh anyway, so although support for the big baddies would be nice, it's not a matter of big concern to me. Happy with it so far. (meaning the times I've used it in the last 24 hours, hehe )

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. 
I picked up the license too. 

Maybe without the kludge of Windows Start-Run and then the
cryptic screen where all your keys are lost to history I'll be doing
more stuff.  Just wanted to confirm that this was an A-grade program.

Note added:
Even today this program came in handy.  I was following some FTP
instructions to communicate with an AS/400 that required the DOS
Box and my DOS box hung in the middle of the operations.  When I did
it in PowerCmd not only was there all sorts of goodies like cut-and-paste
working, I had no problem at all.  Kewl.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:15 PM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Hi Folks,

Also nice is that you get the simple print key capabilities.  It is hard to imagine going
back to the Windows kludge once you have this, even if you don't use advanced
capabilities.

They also sell this on Trialpay, but I suggest trying for the next Bits Du Jour.
I have mixed feelings about Trialpay, and would suggest using it for costlier
software, if you use it at all.

PowerCmd also runs a little email forum on GoogleGroups for support, always a nice
feature (a web forum or an email forum).

Excellent software.

Shalom,
Steven

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02 AM »
TrialPay is a bit... deceptive because it's sort of a glorified Giveawayoftheday licence - my experience is that you get a Trialpay username and licence, so it never feels like your own licence. Also, I'm not clear on how upgrades work.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:12 PM »

It's a no go for me.
cthorpe, try http://en.poderosa.org/ if you must use cygwin.
Nice split windows.

trialpay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27 PM »
TrialPay is a bit... deceptive because it's sort of a glorified Giveawayoftheday licence - my experience is that you get a Trialpay username and licence, so it never feels like your own licence. Also, I'm not clear on how upgrades work.

Hi Darwin, I just wanted to respond to your post.  I'm the founder and CEO of TrialPay.

We work with over 4,000 merchants, including many of the top software companies, and also services like Skype, Zagat, Wall Street Journal, etc.

Virtually every single one of our merchants (or in this context, software developers/companies) treats us as a de facto payment method; when you "pay" with TrialPay (e.g., by buying flowers from FTD for Mother's Day), it's as if you paid directly with a credit card.  While I don't see every single account, as far as I know, none of the license keys are in our name -- that's not how the whole system is set up.  Most software vendors have an account with us set up in the same manner as they have an account set up with their payment processor.  For example, if you buy McAfee VirusScan with TrialPay, it's identical in all respects -- upgrades work the same way, it's fully functional, etc.  The only difference is that you paid through us instead of through PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, etc etc.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help sort this out -- if there is one particular merchant NOT giving real keys, that is not acceptable to us and we'll get to the bottom of it.

We really do try to provide a good deal to both the consumer and the software author; a perfect example really is mother's day, where people who would never consider paying for software will definitely buy flowers for their mother.

Thanks,

Alex

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for the post Alex and welcome to the site -- it's excellent to hear about the approach to full licenses.

While I have no experience with TrialPay, my biggest concern with other kinds of special deals is exactly what Darwin was saying, a concern that one does not get a full fledged license which is upgradeable, etc.  From what you are saying TrialPay is committed to making sure users get full licenses just as if they had purchased the product, so that's great to hear.

trialpay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, mouser!  This is a great forum and I'm happy to be a part of it.

We're a lot different than the giveaway-of-the-day sites in that we don't have a portal -- we're much more like a PayPal in that we're a tool, or conduit, by which people pay for things online.  If a person uses us, Visa, Amex, PayPal, etc to pay, it's all the same in the eyes of the software vendor.  We are used directly by the software company itself in the same manner that they might use PayPal (although I recognize that our approach is far more unorthodox).  Check out www.lavasoft.com and click on the Download Now link and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and hope to contribute in the future!

Best,

Alex

Thanks for the post Alex and welcome to the site -- it's excellent to hear about the approach to full licenses.

While I have no experience with TrialPay, my biggest concern with other kinds of special deals is exactly what Darwin was saying, a concern that one does not get a full fledged license which is upgradeable, etc.  From what you are saying TrialPay is committed to making sure users get full licenses just as if they had purchased the product, so that's great to hear.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Hi Alex - thank you for taking the time to respond to me and welcome to DC  :Thmbsup: I don't have the application in question installed any longer, but have just taken a look at the e0-mail I received from the developer and you're right - I spoke (wrote) in haste: the licence name that I received was generated by the software company and has nothing to do with TrialPay  :-[
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:29 PM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Yes, PromptPal's GUI reacts a little too slow,
- but PromptPal is instant if you use the band in XP's task bar:

pp.gif
  :up:

Edited:
As for now the band is too wide to have open all of the time, but the author from Technology Lighthouse has promised me to TRY to make the band take up no more space than an icon.

Present minimum size:
pp2.gif
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:45 PM by Curt »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:10 PM »
Hi Folks,

Back to Trialpay for a moment. 

There are many fine software products that use Trialpay.  And a number that are ok.  (I am not commenting on the "Trials" here, those are generally reasonable, fairly transparent. You might easily find a couple that are pleasant and you bypass the many that are not for you.)

However I also noticed a few registry products that are very dubious, on a quick check of one list there are three or four.  And one is very heavily warned against on CNet, generally there are no favorable reviews.  If a registry (or spyware) product does not have reputable reviews, that is prima facie evidence that it is in the rogueware genre, a very common problem. Or at least nuisance-and-annoyance-ware.  There are many tricks to those rogueware and borderline products, involving false numbers in scans, subscriptions, billing, difficulty to de-install, and more.

So I have to conclude that there is basically no strong vetting process to prevent rogueware-type products from using Trialpay. (Except maybe after-the-fact complaints, which is not good enough.)  Any software of those types that does not have a track record from Snapfiles, FileForum, MajorGeeks etc should be considered grey-to-black until proven otherwise. For Trialpay to be fully reputable, exceptional caution and checking is required.

And for that reason I have never used Trialpay for the good products.  The Trialpay fella is welcome to comment.  (Well, there are other reasons too, however they are more general and are more my own views on commercial
tie-ins and such, the effort involved, the enticement to make a deal that you don't really need.  However on those I do not begrudge the Trialpay model, it can be reasonable even if I am personally reluctant to partake.)

I can mention a few of the product names and the results of my (limited) searching attempts, if he wants, here or directly by email, or he can start by looking at a list of Trialpay softwares and checking up every one that has registry  in the name, checking very carefully. 

Oh, Wise Registry Cleaner is probably a decent registry product that uses Trialpay, I was not bunching them in on this, and conceivably there are not the only clean cleaner.

Shalom,
Steven

PS
Just to be clear, this overall problem is not only a Trialpay problem. The software dark side is also a problem in other areas, especially Google ads that end up on otherwise reputable software sites.  Many have learned to be similarly wary of Google ads, and that is a separate problem that might be good for the reputable software websites to begin to address more directly. 

I would like to begin to have a system to know who is aware of this and taking action. Donationcoder I believe is totally clean, and I don't remember seeing those types of ads on Snapfiles or Fileforum. However it may be a problem on MajorGeeks and Softpedia. and some others.  I hesitate to mention MajorGeeks in this regard as I know in many ways they are highly reputable, however where ever these luring advertisements and promotions are .. we need to be awares and take proper action.  If I am wrong on the names I gave here, please correct.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:38 PM by Steven Avery »

trialpay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 12:49 AM »
Hi Steven,

I'm not sure I follow your logic.  This is kind of like saying that because there's a bad restaurant in Cleveland that takes Visa, you'll never use your Visa card, anywhere.  We are an open payment method -- we're another option alongside PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Google Checkout, etc.

In fact, I think the analogy goes further.  If you go to a restaurant, pay with your Visa card, and are overcharged, Visa will allow you to dispute the charge.  Too many disputes and the merchant is dropped from accepting Visa ever again.

We do the exact same thing.  We have dropped merchants from TrialPay.  But what if somebody with a buggy piece of software is selling his software just fine with Visa, MasterCard, etc -- because people WANT to pay for it.  Should we not let that merchant on board simply because the product is buggy?  The point is that people want the product anyway.  We're not a review site -- if you want the product, pay for it, if not, don't.  We're just a conduit by which you can pay.  We are not staffed to examine the quality of each and every product sold with us because there are tens of thousands.

While some might prefer us to only work with 5 star restaurants, this is a largely subjective measure.  We literally have 4000 merchants using us and that number is growing rapidly.  Some of these are big names that pretty much every computer user will have heard of (McAfee, Skype, etc).  Some are far smaller.

I understand your point about rogue software, but I kind of feel the same way about many herbs and vitamins.  Most vitamins sold in grocery stores have not been proven to do anything but people still buy them.  Let's just say that I'm an executive at Visa and I can prove that Echinacea has absolutely no health benefit -- I mean I've proved it, lock, stock, and barrel.  The supermarket still wants to sell Echinacea.  People still want to buy Echinacea.  How does Visa get involved?  Should Visa have a drug laboratory for testing the efficacy of vitamins?  But Visa is used to pay for millions of different goods -- so how is that scalable?

The analogy is not perfect but I hope this gives you a sense for where we're coming from...

Alex

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37 AM »
I'd like to strongly disagree  >:(

Most vitamins sold in grocery stores have not been proven to do anything but people still buy them.

This is nowhere near accurate: the main benefit is by moving money from the customer's bank account to the manufacturer's bank account by way of the merchant's bank account which trims a little bit of the profit off, and thereby keeps the economy moving.

:D Sorry: couldn't let that one pass without some light-hearted clarification.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Alex,

The real analogy goes like this.  If a natural food store bakes some food and uses asparatane/nutrasweet/equal or saccharin (rogue sweeteners, very harmful by natural food standands) then I and others will stop using that store fully. If they use molasses, or even sucanat or stevia or agave syrup, there is no conceptual problem, whether I like those sweeteners or not. They can still get my business (I recently had to check up sucanat precisely because of this type of concern).

Another real analogy is the Google rogue-software ads problem.  I have written to companies telling them of this problem and they have responded acknowledging the concern. (There are a number of potential solutions.) And consider not using sites that allow themselves to be conduits of such rogueware ads simply for lucre.  Especially if they are indicating the integrity of material on their websites.  (Also Google directly needs to be addressed by a group of reputable software concerns and websites, if that has not yet happened.). The immediate person responsible is the one carrying the ads.  If they claim to be an integrity software outfit can they carry rogue software ads ? Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? (James 3:11).

As one person wrote about Trialpay.

"... and if these large companies trust TrialPay enough to associate their names with it,  I would say you can rest assure it's not a scam."

When some of the TrialPay products are scams, the whole situation of trust breaks down.  I am pretty sure that you vette out the offers carefully.  If one is deceptive (e.g. it sounds free but your credit card will be surreptiously billed every quarter for years, hoping not to be noticed, and it will be very hard to reverse) hopefully you do not take the offer. (Now I have to wonder on the other end as well, seeing your what-me-worry response above.)

In fact you even place an emphasis on :

"Premier Partners".
  "Premier partners" to market scoundrel software ?

"a web of business relationships"
  working together to get rogueware on our computer systems ?

However, your blindness to rogue software, as expressed above, is the same problem in reverse. Oh, I see now that gambling software and screensavers are becoming significant Trialpay players.  I do not know those products as well as the registry cleaner and spyware-remover shenanigans (thanks spywarewarrior.com for exposing companies, even at risk of their efforts against you) however they are known to be areas that attract deceptive software that contains hooks not apparent when first installed or purchased.

In your response you essentially have acknowledged the problem.  Apparently even if a software installs a rootkit, to you it is not your concern in advance.  Take the merchant on, like Visa, and then later if there is a problem you can drop the merchant.

Some reasons this is not simply Visa are:

a) You are creating a three-way tie-in.  A software vendor (usually), a commercial offer and Trialpay.  If one product is deceptive and harmful of the three, all are marked black.

b) Rogue vendors can craftily see Trialpay as a way to get their rogue products into many hands, where they can do a lot of harm.  The Trialpay linkage gives the unknown product cachet, a linkage with reputable products.  Much like they would like to get on Snapfiles or Fileforum or MajorGeeks (three major software forums known for policing and integrity in listings, which is why I download there) but they are rebuffed if they try.  There is a presumption of honesty in your process, how could Boca Coffee or the Economist be linked with rogues ?

c) Trialpay can be part and parcel of actually creating the rogue market. (With or without Google ads as another accomplice.). The product itself emphasizes "free, what do you have to lose, give us at try".   Then it can get in and do its dastardly work.  Oftentimes these products will have no market and no demand without the accomplices.  No reputable company has ever given them an ok.  Then they found Trialpay.

I could go on, but that is enough.

btw, many of us do not shop at 'vitamin stores' precisely because they do not have a natural food emphasis first.  (And some catering to the body-builders got tainted as steroid-product-type pushers as well in the not-so-distant past.)  And if a store sells rogue vitamins (e.g. misrepresented, or harmful fillers) then we will not shop at that store at all. Integrity first.  A natural food store that is not a watchman is largely worthless.  That is also why I tend to use Queens Health Emporium or Dr. B. Well or Rising Tide (three of my better local stores) or even Whole Foods rather than the health food sections in supermarket. They have a level of accountability and their views are respected, viewing foods with integrity.  btw, I buy products like Floradix and Natureworks European tonics like herbal iron at such stores, and green plant powders like E3Live (frozen), and to varying degrees their 'vitamin' sections largely emphasize such excellent products rather than your garden-variety C and B complex.  Which I agree can be overused and under-assimilated.

btw, your echinacea attempted analogy makes me question your companies integrity that much more.

http://www.umm.edu/a...echinacea-000239.htm
University of Maryland Medical Center
"Several laboratory and animal studies suggest that echinacea contains active substances that enhance the activity of the immune system, relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and have hormonal, antiviral, and antioxidant effects."

Perhaps you work for a pharmaceutical company in your day job. 

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:10 AM by Steven Avery »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 06:12 AM »
I have got a few bits and pieces via Trial Pay and have had no problems (and thanks Alex for posting here).

Whilst I can understand that people could be concerned when they perceive there has been a lack of vetting I am not sure that TrialPay's problem. At the end of the day it is up to the customer to decide what they want to purchase.

You could argue that many online retailers stock dubious products but at the end of the day it is the customer's responsibility to make sure the product they buy does what they want in a way that they want.

Using your argument you could argue that no registry cleaners should be sold by anyone because there is no proven benefit and loads of proven negatives associated with all of these products - including those from reputable companies.

For example, Amazon sells internet security software products from a number of from well known companies, of these products are bundled by system manufacturers too. A lot of people here would argue are at best poor quality and at worst a scam (and they certainly don't provide the protection they claim whilst dragging your system to a standstill) - does that mean Amazon is wicked? If so then practically all websellers would be off limits!

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you could argue that no registry cleaners should be sold by anyone because there is no proven benefit and loads of proven negatives associated with all of these products - including those from reputable companies.
-Carol Haynes
The question of benefit is debated.  There is no debate on rogueware.

Many people do believe that eliminating unnecessary entries can be beneficial.  However, any site that recommends a registry cleaner without caution (e.g. back up the registry, use conservative settings, check every deletion yourself) I would avoid. Many systems get Op-Sys trashed, one of mine several years back. (I still have the disk ready to be made a slave and copied over.)

Even more so if they are profiting from the sale, as is Trialpay, rather than just giving bad advice in ignorance. 

For example, Amazon sells internet security software products...  poor quality and at worst a scam
-Carol Haynes
This is one reason why I have never bought software from Amazon, and I have a greater concern with Trialpay, since they can actively bring positive attention to companies that would be avoided by every integrity-software concern, including DonationCoder, MajorGeeks, Snapfiles and Fileforum.  People know Amazon is just a merchant, while Trialpay claims:

"Premier Partners".
"a web of business relationships"

Personally, I would not want to partner with any scoundrels.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:35 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Hi Folks,

One more point. 

The dubious registry products have jumped at the chance to look legitimate and
increase their activities using Trialpay.

Here are some products names that are using Trialpay.  There may be more, as
these types of products operate in a murky realm.

Dubious
CleanMyPC
Registry Repair Pro
Registry Technician
TweakNow RegCleaner
Advanced Registry Optimizer (Sammsoft - reviews on File Forum, discussion on Security Stronghold)

Legit
Advanced Windows Care Professional - Iobit
Wise Registry Cleaner
Registry First Aid - Rose City

There was a Registry Cleaner that may not have been Eusings that seems to have
had a run as well, but no more.  Hard to tell.  Maybe Andy can tell use on that,
or any vetting at all, or responses, on the five above.

If anyone has had good experiences with the five I mark as "dubious", please share away.
Even if you have seen a real review from a reputable source (the top-ten-reviews site
is not reputable).

Caveat emptor.

Shalom,
Steven