topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements  (Read 29226 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Those clever people at MailStore have released an update. See http://www.mailstore.../mailstore-home.aspx for download details and changelog.

Some of the nice things they have added are:

• Support for Outlook MAPI accounts (so now you can archive your GoogleMail)
  • The ability to exclude folders from archiving
  • Email viewing is now rendered via Windows Live - which means you can see properly formatted HTML without resorting to another app (there is an option in each view window to show graphics so they display as text until you say otherwise).

Good stuff - and it is free! Don't forget it works with lots of mail clients (not just Outlook).

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:52 PM »
thanks for the hint I Will have a look at it
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:17 PM »
great stuff !! :up:
Tom

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:27 PM »
too bad, that The Bat! is not supported.
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:39 PM »
One thing I do not know is that, is this an online or offline solution? There is no clear definition of the pipeline

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:50 PM »
It's offline - it build an email archive which is updated whenever you tell it to sync with your mail store(s).

I really like it a lot and they are responsive to new ideas and reply to support requests.

My only wish list would include allowing the free version to have more than 3 profiles (the current limit) ... but having said that since I use Outlook and they now support IMAP as part of your Outlook Profile that is effectively solved for me.

For me the big advantage is the speed of searching your archive - plus you have a separate copy of all important emails incase of file corruption in you normal client.

thanks for the hint I Will have a look at it
too bad, that The Bat! is not supported.

By the way masu I think there is a simple solution to lack of The Bat support (at least for incloming mail from now) ... just set up a POP profile and download mail to MailStore direct from the server. If you set up The Bat to not delete emails from the POP server for 30 days you would only need to sync once a month. This should work for any POP based account whatever client you are using.

It doesn't solve the problem of your existing email store - can you export everything to Outlook Express and then import from there as a one off exercise? Sorry it is a long time since I tried the Bat but I seem to remember the thing I liked least was the proprietary format and lack of import/export options.

Edit ...
Just looked at MailStore FAQs and this might help:

TheBat! wird nicht direkt von MailStore unterstützt. Sie können jedoch grundsätzlich immer versuchen, die E-Mails im .eml- oder MBOX-Format zu exportieren und mit MailStore über den Importweg "Dateisystem" zu archivieren.

Which roughly translates as "The Bat! isn't supported directly but you can export emails to .EML or MBOX format and then import them into MailStore."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:17 PM by Carol Haynes »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Carol

do you have any experience with this tool in a group environment??

reason I ask is we have been looking for a similar tool that can centralise archiving (for our group mailbox) and (this is most important) allow multiple users to access and search the archive - i browsed the site but don't see anything that indicates whether or not this functionality is available.

To date the only real recommendation seems to have been sharepoint, but this requires a server (which is not an option)

Target

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:50 PM »
Sorry I don't but their corporate version may be suitable. It doesn't appear to have to be installed on a server.

The full description is here: http://www.mailstore...cMailStoreServer.pdf

Depending on the size of your company it isn't necessarily cheap! See http://www.mailstore.com/en/shop.aspx

The main page for the product is http://www.mailstore...ailstore-server.aspx and there is a 30 day free trial so you could try it out on a couple of machines (or in a Virtual network using VMWare or similar) to see how it performs. (Check out the How It Works link ... it seems to do what you want).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:56 PM by Carol Haynes »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Carol

got that, looks like it is feasible, as long as all users are admins (not that this is a particular problem in this case)

shall have to look at this further

many thanks!!

Target

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Why? It says users can access everything except MailStore Server settings. Why would you want everybody to have access to those settings? As a normal user you can archive your mail and access the archive.

Without installing it I don't think it is clear what they mean by 'user' and 'administrator'. Given that it doesn't need to run on a server (it is its own server) presumably you would assign user credentials for the MailStore Server service and then install clients to access that service. It isn't clear if this uses its own user database or whether it uses Windows user ids. I'd guess that it must look after its own user database as in a Workgroup network the Windows ids are not held centrally in any form.

Having said all that with no knowledge of how it actually works .... I think you need to download it and have a play or read the manual carefully ;) You can download the manual from http://www.mailstore...cMailStoreServer.pdf (I just found it in the support section of the website)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:27 PM »
got me there - serves me right for doing too many things at once!!

it isn't actually about the settings, it's a case of needing multiuser access to what would be a single account, ie everyone has access to the same account/store/box/whatever. 

this way our mailbox can be archived centrally (ie outside of PST files), and used and managed by a small group of individuals (any or all of which may be using the archive at any given time)

I had the bit about 'users can access there own stores...' going round in my head, i hadn't actually gotten round to thinking about whether or not multiple users could be assigned to a single account or not (I assume this is what you were getting at???)

thanks for the link to the docs, I shall have a read...

target

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MailStore Home 2.6 and MailStore Home Plus released
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08 PM »
New update to this tool ...

The current version is 2.6 but they have just released MailStore Home Plus with an interesting marketing model.

You can either donate $60 to WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) or promote the product on your website.

It adds quite a few useful features to MailStore Home and can be installed on top of MailStore Home, retaining your settings and database.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but one thing that is useful is that you can add 6 import profiles with the Plus version (instead of 3) and it unlocks various other features such as scheduled backups etc. I will fiddle with my website tomorrow and send them an email.

See http://www.mailstore...store-home-plus.aspx for details of the new version.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Downloading now... this looks like an incredible solution for my desire to have a local backup of my gmail and my inability to settle once  and for all on an e-mail client.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 04:19 PM »
You can either donate $60 to WWF
-Carol Haynes (July 16, 2008, 07:08 PM)

$60 would be a bit steep if you were paying directly for it - it's unfortunately still a bit steep even if it's going to charity :(
at least there's still the free version :)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01 AM »
The current version is 2.6 but they have just released MailStore Home Plus with an interesting marketing model.

You can either donate $60 to WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) or promote the product on your website.

It adds quite a few useful features to MailStore Home and can be installed on top of MailStore Home, retaining your settings and database.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but one thing that is useful is that you can add 6 import profiles with the Plus version (instead of 3) and it unlocks various other features such as scheduled backups etc. I will fiddle with my website tomorrow and send them an email.

See http://www.mailstore...store-home-plus.aspx for details of the new version.
-Carol Haynes (July 16, 2008, 07:08 PM)

unfortunately the "Home-Plus" version is no more

Version 3 out now (probably worthy of new thread?)
It's either the free version or the server version for
-
MailStore Server incl. 10 user licenses      279.00 €$ 349.00       Buy now
Inclusive Update and Support Service for one year    362.70 €$ 453.70    Buy now
-
pity there's nothing inbetween
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MailStore Home 3 release
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22 AM »
I have just emailed about the Home Plus version. [Just checked the license agreement and it mentions Home Plus 3 so presumably it will exist]

The really stupid thing they have done is to release the Home Office version.

According to the website it is functionally equivalent to the Home version but they are charging a minimum of $445 (+ applicable taxes) for 5 licenses (minimum order is 5 licenses).

I cannot understand who would buy the Home Office version when you cann buy the full MailStore Server for $349 including 10 licenses ??????

Very strange pricing structure.

Why not make a MailStore Workstation - an enhanced version of the Home version including scheduling etc. and charge on a simple per workstation price for it. If it was $39.99 or similar loads of people would jump at it (I certainly would). Loads of people will just settle for the free version (even if they use it outside licensing terms for business) if the Office version is highly priced and has no advantages!

As it stands it looks as though I am going to have to search for another solution again or go back to version 2!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:35 AM by Carol Haynes »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:44 AM »
The really stupid thing they have done is to release the Home Office version.

According to the website it is functionally equivalent to the Home version but they are charging a minimum of $445 (+ applicable taxes) for 5 licenses (minimum order is 5 licenses).

I cannot understand who would buy the Home Office version when you cann buy the full MailStore Server for $349 including 10 licenses ??????

Very strange pricing structure.

Wierd - very strange ...
MailStore Home Office can be obtained for the price of 79 € apiece (plus applicable VAT) with a minimum purchase of five
-http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home-office.aspx
I had missed that completely - (if you go directly to the shop page you only get offered the server version)

Why not make a MailStore Workstation - an enhanced version of the Home version including scheduling etc. and charge on a simple per workstation price for it. If it was $39.99 or similar loads of people would jump at it (I certainly would). Loads of people will just settle for the free version (even if they use it outside licensing terms for business) if the Office version is highly priced and has no advantages!
would be much more attractive for self-employed who might only want one or two copies
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 11:05 AM »
OK just got a reply from Mailstore. If you have a Home Plus license this is what you do:

Please use the MailStore Home Plus License File Converter:

https://my.mailstore...meplus-v2-to-v3.aspx

You can upload your MailStore Home Plus 2.x license file to receive a version 3 license file.

Please copy the file to the MailStore program folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\deepinvent\MailStore Home and then start MailStore Home Plus.

It works fine - all the scheduling etc. is back.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Sadly, it still doesn't work with The Bat! :(  :mad:  >:(
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 12:10 PM »
It does work it POP3/IMAP/Hotmail/GMail and Yahoo accounts though so if you tell the Bat to leave email on the server you can download it into MailStore too.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Does it work with Opera mail?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 02:38 PM »
sc.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for alerting us to this update, Carol (and for doing the leg work on the upgrade for Home Plus 3, though I don't qualify, sadly). I'll have to take another look at it as I am performing with only the flimsiest of nets in Outlook 2007 (I have two installations on two different computers sync'd and back them both up separately, but I'm aware that I need some backup...).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40 PM »
You can get the Plus version by either making a donation to a charity (sorry can't remember which one or for how much [Edit ... reading earlier in this thread it is WWF and the donation is $60) or by adding a review and link to a website you manage. Sorry but the original link page no longer exists but I got en email response from their support team within a few hours so it may be worth dropping them a line and make a donation if nothing else. The Plus version is worth having because it allows you to use Scheduled archiving and PST email management.

I have mine setup so that every day it syncs with Outlook and then deletes any messages in Outlook that are more than 45 days old (you can specify the age of emails in the MailStore sync rule). I also manually move completed tasks and old Calendar entries to a PST archive file which loads in my profile. This means that when Outlook loads the main PST file only has 45 days worth of email and active calendar/tasks etc. Plus all my emails are backed up daily in MailStore (which is really quick to search - so you can turn off Windows Search if you want).

The new version of MailStore also allows much more flexible exporting - you can export emails into other applications or to disc files and maintain the original folder structure, plus it can automatically make backups to CDs or DVDs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:42 PM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Ah, thanks Carol! I assumed that it was no longer possible to get the Home Plus version this way. I'm definitely going to check this out  :Thmbsup: