topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1018960 times)

sl5

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
studied Informatics (Diploma Degree) from 2006 until 2009. thesis (score of 1.7) at IBM SAP International Competence Center (ISICC) located at the SAP Partner Port near Heidelberg in Germany.
first game developed in the age of 13 years.
visit the Technical High School, Degree 1994: University student, computer science "very good"
short time i rised to 9th place in the GitHub "List of top Autohotkey developers in Germany" ( 12.07.2015 )
some you could find at github.com/sl5net
... and i searching job / project, searching partners ...
and I owe donationcoder.com 50 euros :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, sl5 -- good to meet you :Thmbsup:

SheilaDi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Everyone,  GGma here in Small Town, MN.  Have 2 sons,  8 grandchildren and at last count 4 great-grandchildren. Consider myself tech-challenged, but am learning, slowly, how to do things.  Have discovered computer games, though not the role-playing ones.  Mostly homebody, love to read, crochet and quilt, but do walk for exercise three seasons of the year.  MN winter can be waaay tooo cold to walk.  Also collect cats...not live ones as we can't have pets in the apartments here.  Have over 200 cat pins.  Have no idea how much cat fabric, stuffed animals or little figurines I have. :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi SheilaDi, and welcome to dc

Have over 200 cat pins.
is a pin like, a brooch? Would love to see a pic of some of them (if you felt like sharing -- and trying to figure out how to show in new post -- tip: click preview and then below the textbox you can add image). There's a lot of cat fans around here (lots of dog fans too).
Tom

HelmutWe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Helmut Weber from a village near Landsberg, Germany. Male, 68 years old, 2004 til 2008 MS MVP for Word VBA, enjoying GAT online soon on 4K-equipment and enjoying Win 10 as well which works perfectly for me. Discovered this great side only last year when searching for a screenshot utility and found it. Almost no idea about coding, but interested nevertheless. At the moment searching for a slot to place a software request to randomize filenames. (Lots of solutions on the net, but nothing is satisfying.) In earlier years taxi-driver, linguist, journalist.
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep (Schlitz/Rogers)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Helmut:
Guten tag Helmut, und willkommen!
...At the moment searching for a slot to place a software request to randomize filenames. (Lots of solutions on the net, but nothing is satisfying. ...
Post New Requests Here - This is the section where new coding snacks requests go.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello sweet communtity, I'll tell you something about me too.
I'm in the best years of my life. I studied business administration.
Computers were and still are my great passion.
I gained my first programming experience on a Commodore-64 then continued with an Amiga up to my first 286 processor :-)
In my job programming is not needed, but it is a part of me, as a hobby i could never let it be to stop.
It makes me incredibly much fun to discover new things or to improve old ones.
Since I jumped on the 286 train, I have gained a lot of experience with Assembler and Pascal.
Meanwhile I program only with Object Pascal (Delphi RAD).
This forum I found exactly like Helmut, I needed a Screen-Capture-Tool because my own didn't quite do what I wanted and I wanted to look around at the competition how it does, well I stayed at the competition :-)
And the best thing is, I can indulge my hobby here and help others with little programs or offer my own applications.
I also live in germany and wish everyone a great time!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:53 AM by KodeZwerg, Reason: corrections »

HelmutWe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@KodeZwerg: At last here I found ScreenshotCaptor and AutomaticScreenshotter about a year ago, both by far the best programs for my needs. The very few problems I meant to encounter were all solved by Mouser or turned up to be my faults. I still haven´t explored all possibilities.
@lainB: Found it, thx. Will come up soon with some IDEAs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm in the best years of my life.

- honestly, I thought you were a lot younger!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
It's always wonderful to have new friends join our discussions here! Please make yourself at home and feel free to move in your own favorite chairs to sit down by the fire.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I enjoy hiking.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:46 AM by holt »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a Web Designer in an online company somewhere in New Jersey. :)

Welcome!

datguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi all, I am Craig, from UK, glad to join your community! I am student for now ( and freelancer sometimes )  ;) 8) :P

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi all, I am Craig, from UK, glad to join your community! I am student for now ( and freelancer sometimes )  ;) 8) :P

Nice to have a fellow Brit around the place! Where abouts you from?

HelmutWe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  :up: Here is the best place to be on the net. No trolls. Only serious knowlegdeable people.

NSDebi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
I'm Debi and currently live in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada.  My family originates from Blockhouse, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia.
I was an Army brat and spend two tours in Germany while my father was stationed there.  I graduated from Baden Senior High School in 1975 and a few month's later returned to Canada where I found a job in our Federal Government.  I retired after 20 years, and did odd temporary jobs to keep me busy.  I am not all the proficient with computers, but somehow found you guys many years ago when I was searching for something to make life easier.  I have no idea what it even was, but I enjoyed reading all about the stuff yo smart tech people do, so I stayed.  My Mum passes away 6 years ago and left me a tri-plex.  So, I am currently a landlady who lives in the same space on the main floor, and has 2-1 bedroom apt's on the second floor and 1-1 bedroom in the basement that I rent.  I wish there was an app that I could download and use on potential tenants as a lie detecting tool, because I seem to have the worse luck getting ones that can actually afford to pay rent and won't leave the place destroyed when evicted.  Bet I'm not alone either...lol.
I have a boyfriend, and today is our third dating Anniversary.  I have 2 dogs and a parrot.  The old lady Pom Foxi-Gurl arrived blind in one eye, and now is blind in the other eye because of cataracts.  We adopted her as a senior and estimate her to be between 15 and 17 yrs. old.  She is also pretty much deaf, but still manages to make her way around to eat and go potty.  My other dog is a Biewer Blueberry Merle Yorkie.  He has one blue eye and one brown eye and was born deaf.  I am amazed at how much he learns and communicates even though he can't hear a thing.  He will be 2 in April.  People ask all the time is deaf dogs bark...OMG they bark, wimper, whine, snort and snore like any other dog.  He tends to keep an eye on one of us at all times waiting for hand signals to come etc. but just like a hearing dog he sometimes ignores us.  The parrot I got from a friend about 20 years ago when her kids were outgrowing him and he was left home alot. He is an African Senegal.  I had to make sure I added him to my will because he can live for another 40-50 years, and will no doubt outlive me.
Hopefully, I haven't bored you too much with this bio.  I've left out alot....your welcome  :D  I was going to include pics, but the window that popped up confused me  :huh:....oh maybe I can....gonna try  :-\.....think I did it  :D :D :D

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Hi Debi! :) You're not boring at all. Your post reminded me of our Chihuahua-Dachshund mix we had when I was a young man; when he turned old and gray-muzzled and went totally blind, he would use his nose for a blind man's white cane substitute to bump his way slowly around in the house, and he actually seemed happier after he went blind than at any prior time in his entire life.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:00 PM by holt »

irkregent

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, since I have not yet posted in this thread, this is as good a time as any.

I am Keith, from southeast Michigan, though I am fortunate enough to be able spend winter seasons in southwest Florida.

For a living I have been a database software developer for over 15 years, specializing in the Progress OpenEdge development environment.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to work remotely on a contract basis for a number of years.  However, with the current COVD-19 panic and likely recession to follow, I have no idea where my career path will lead next.  I should take this downtime as a chance to diversify.  Python, for one, is intriguing and seems to be high in demand.

I enjoy programming, and got my college degree in Computer Science.  I am old enough to have done a good bit of Pascal programming as part of my degree program, and I have to admit I miss Pascal.

Interests include sports car racing (watching, not driving), especially IMSA and Formula 1; photography; and computers in general.

So, that's me in a nutshell.

NSDebi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Holt,
Thank you for your reply.  I am so sorry for your condition, but if Michael J Fox has taught us anything, you can still live a pretty active life and continue doing things you love.  Wishing you many more years with your significant other :)
Thank you for linking some of your words, because once I am finished typing, I will be checking out what the heck they mean.  I  have no idea how to take a computer apart or delve into its brain.  Right now, my Windows 10 laptop has Windows update shut off (I tried applying the fix thru my laptop and a fixing program I have installed)and some guy wanted $250.00us to go into my laptop and turn it back on and fix any errors I have.  I'm semi retired and heat my house and water with oil.  Thanks to my Prime Minister, I have carbon tax and Gst tax tacked on to a delivery.  I ordered $500.00 in oil the other day, and lost about $100.00 worth in tax if not more.  So, to give this person money was way beyond my means.  I don't need window updates that bad!
Take care, and stay safe during these trying times.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
irkregent
Hi Debi, Some like to say, 'Laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone'. But others say (as I'm fond of telling my wife), 'A joy shared is twice a joy, and a sorrow shared is half a sorrow'.
So, somewhere in there, is hopefully a bit of wisdom, and a few smiling faces, and maybe a broken heart or two, all looking to share, and live, and find a bit of laughter amidst the tears. :)

irkregent, Welcome aboard!...and the same again to you Debi!
DonationCoder can always use another programmer and code writer. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:33 PM by holt »

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi! I am 36 and living in Indonesia. I am working for a financial institution. I spend most of my free-time with my girl-friend or with my computer. Here is a picture of a crowded train I use daily  :-[ :

It's been a while since that post. Now I'm a little bit older. I still work at the same company. I have kids to spend my time. And [drum roll] I'm thankful to have DC too. :)

Nowadays I commute by riding motorcycle.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hopefully, I haven't bored you too much with this bio.

Always love reading every posts here. :)

danlock77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm Jesse. No, not that Jesse. Another one. Similar in age, though.

(I've never been to New York. I think I've seen Manhattan from a seaside road in Connecticut one New Year's weekend during the late '90s. If that is not possible, I was (obviously) seeing something else. I think I had switched planes in Chicago that trip, but I can't remember. I probably recorded the details in a journal I was keeping at the time, not that THAT is relevant in this message.)

I've followed donationcoder.com for many, many years, but very little since mid-2017-or-so. The top-right text on this page says "Proudly celebrating 15+ years online." so that might tell you something.  Oops! That's the site's time online. I apparently joined in 2007. :)  So I've been here since the year the site's online time was approximately two years.

I live alone in the western United States. I've accomplished the majority of the things I wanted to accomplish in life according to the "bucket list" (if you will) of my life I dreamed up when I was around six years old (e.g. graduate from high school, graduate from college, etc.). Some, though, are no longer possible, mostly as a result of external events, such as "look down from the top of one of the World Trade Center towers." Others from my age six bucket list are much less likely: "Marry someone during or after University with whom to have a family."

I will amend this message later if I can and if I think of additional relevant information to provide.

I no longer live where I lived when I first donated and received my Cody memorabilia. I somehow misplaced my beloved package from DonationCoder one night while showing it to an extended family member at a frozen yogurt shop. (at least, I think that's where it was misplaced...I never found it again.)  :'(

I love to learn (as I always have), despite the aggravating detriments with which I now live that make it an uphill battle. I hope I never reach a point at which my ability to continue learning reaches an end.

The extended family member to whom I referred above helped to ignite, or to fuel, my love of learning. During grad school and later, he would visit his wife's parents' home (where we interacted) and ask me questions—thought-provoking questions—to which I would respond. Even decades later, waiting in line at the dentist's office (probably between late 2010 and early 2012), he'd ask me questions, seemingly out of the blue, such as, "How could two people, each at a different place on Earth's surface but with no quick method of communication, observe a future event at the same time using something they can both agree upon? (I'm not sure, and cannot remember, whether the event was merely observed or was a message sent and encrypted and/or decrypted using that simultaneously-observed, specific event.)

I remember, though, that my answer involved the two people looking toward the same place in the distant sky at an aspect of the universal microwave background radiation to determine the precise time (because the UMBR would be the same at the same time to all of Earth). I can't remember whether I considered using that specific snapshot (known to both people despite their separation) of the UMBR as the basis for an encryption and/or decryption key for any potential later message. It might instead have been merely used as a way of synchronizing clocks, so to speak, so the two people could do something else which required synchronicity, such as a single transmission, which could never be repeated, from one to the other using a "fast" way of communicating.

But I digress, as I am wont to do. Anyway, there you have it: some train-of-thought typing from my brain to my fingers.

As I said above, I'll modify this message if I notice grammatical errors, typos, misspellings, etc. (things like that stick out in my vision like sore thumbs! For whatever reason, my brain notices tiny, especially incorrect, details, without effort!), or other things which will make little sense unless I provide further exposition. (Those various things are embarrassingly common in my typed text after I've typed something while in a state of great fatigue such as the one I am currently experiencing!)

[end]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:46 PM by danlock77 »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm Jesse. No, not that Jesse.

[end]

Jesse James?
Jesse Owens?