topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 347395 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17 PM »
I just can't stand having to send out that canned response + threat to people I know and generally like.

Oooh... maybe you should post it if it's so effective so that we can use it?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41 PM »
The use of the term "pie hole" or "piehole" when referring to someone's mouth as in: "Shut yer pie hole!" or "Shove it down their pie holes."

Don't know where it originated (maybe a movie or TV series?) but I'm running into it more and more frequently in blogs and web forums.

I don't know what it is about that expression, but it absolutely sets my teeth on edge.

Then again, maybe that's the whole idea behind using a phrase like that in the first place isn't it?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2010, 04:50 PM »
"Shut yer pie hole!"
Alright, then why don't you seal your cucumber-sandwich orifice, vicar?  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16 PM »
cucumber-sandwich orifice
-cranioscopical (March 04, 2010, 04:50 PM)

I actually like that one!

Thanks Mr. C. You always make me laugh. :Thmbsup:

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2010, 05:24 PM »
Parents that abuse the fact that their children, or child, knows quite a bit about computers, technology, and most things electronic. I was supposed to be asleep 3 hours ago but I just finished helping my dad troubleshoot XP mode because his office loaded Win7 x64 on his laptop not thinking that their VPN client doesn't support 64 bit systems!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08 PM »
@Josh:

can-you-fix-my-computer.gif

With thanks to www.toothpastefordinner.com
8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:10 PM by 40hz »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: March 04, 2010, 07:29 PM »
40hz - that cartoon is AWESOME! I love the look on the guy's face...

:Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2010, 08:11 AM »
having severe problems right now, I am more thinking, "are you going to be a victim, or can you fix my computer?"!!!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Crap movies starting off with glowing reviews and ridiculously high ratings on IMDB, thanks to the tossers who formed the cast/crew.

RedPillow

• Joined in 2008
  • Pillows.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59 PM »
When I was on-the-job learning, every single time one old man came and asked me "Where are the pervert parts of the chickens?"
And every time I was like what the f is he talking about and said that I don`t know.
On the last day, he explained that he wanted chicken-eggs, couldn`t he just say so?
This was an actual happening of mine :]

On the other hand - It`s great to see other peoples faces now, when I walk into a shop and ask for pervert parts of a chicken!  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #460 on: March 15, 2010, 04:39 PM »
cup_of_tea_21.jpgWhat annoys you to no end?

Stale tea.

Why can you get a great cup of coffee 'to go' in so many places, but not a decent cup of tea. Your average gas station or convenience store can even manage to set you up with perfectly drinkable coffee these days.

I sometimes think these people buy their tea in bulk and then dole it out a cup at a time over the next ten years to be able to sell you a "cuppa" as bad as most do.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: March 15, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Kids who say "like" in every sentence. I want to stab my ears with pencils.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: March 15, 2010, 10:09 PM »
People with pencils sticking out of their ears!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19 PM »
People with pencils sticking out of their ears!
-cranioscopical (March 15, 2010, 10:09 PM)

;D

Have to agree with Zaine, though. I can't stand hearing "like' in every sentence, either.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Have to agree with Zaine, though. I can't stand hearing "like' in every sentence, either.

I remember looking at a note one of my classmates was writing and what bothered me was that her writing was just like her speech. In pencil: "So, like, I was wondering, like, what was up with, like, that?" I may say things frequently that I don't consciously realize, but when I'm writing I know to leave those things out.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #465 on: May 17, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Developers which decide that:

A. think their application MUST launch at system startup, regardless of the option I choose during installation
B. choose to create a start menu folder which contains the VERSION number without deleting or detecting previous versions thus resulting in APP V1.0, APP V1.1, APP V1.110, APP V1.2, etc in the start menu.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24 PM »

A. think their application MUST launch at system startup, regardless of the option I choose during installation
B. choose to create a start menu folder which contains the VERSION number without deleting or detecting previous versions thus resulting in APP V1.0, APP V1.1, APP V1.110, APP V1.2, etc in the start menu.

No to mention developers who insist on naming their company something entirely unrelated to their - or any - software and then using that name in the installer pkg. Which ultimately results in you looking for APP V1.0 and finally finding it in C:\Program Files\Pepito's Pizza Factory and Software Inc\.

C'mon! Get off the high stinking horse and just use the software app's name!

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28 AM »

No to mention developers who insist on naming their company something entirely unrelated to their - or any - software and then using that name in the installer pkg. Which ultimately results in you looking for APP V1.0 and finally finding it in C:\Program Files\Pepito's Pizza Factory and Software Inc\.

C'mon! Get off the high stinking horse and just use the software app's name!

Jim

Not really the developer's fault.  Unless they're very intimate with installshield, it will automagically make the path C:\Program Files\Company Name\Software Name.  Put blame where it's due- InstallShield.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Blame installshield because a developer doesn't learn to use a tool they are choosing to use? What sense does that make? When I played with installshield some 3 years ago, as a very novice developer, I found that option in a matter of 15 minutes.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Blame installshield because a developer doesn't learn to use a tool they are choosing to use? What sense does that make? When I played with installshield some 3 years ago, as a very novice developer, I found that option in a matter of 15 minutes.

The thing is, it's a default option, so in general it stays that way.  Why does installshield make that the default?  If you're a developer trying to get something out, you'll use the default options.  It makes sense to me, as I've never understood why it defaults to company name\product name.  Other installers don't do it, so why does installshield feel the need to?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2010, 12:46 PM »
On a related note - software products that provide the option to download the installer as either an EXE or a ZIP file - but where the ZIP file contains nothing but the same EXE file.

Umm...there's a thing called broadband, guys! Shaving 48K off a 3MB EXE file by zipping it is hardly worth the effort anymore.

:P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54 PM »
On a related note - software products that provide the option to download the installer as either an EXE or a ZIP file - but where the ZIP file contains nothing but the same EXE file.

Umm...there's a thing called broadband, guys! Shaving 48K off a 3MB EXE file by zipping it is hardly worth the effort anymore.

:P
Ha!  Seriously...goes back to what I once said about installers for the tiny, little 500k software saying "Please wait, this may take a few minutes."  I don't it has ever taken even a minute...even back on my 486 machine.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim

My thoughts exactly.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not talking about cannot figure out.  I'm talking about default settings.  If you are just cranking out an installer (especially with installshield), you simply take the default settings and put in the information you need to, and add the files.  But I suppose it's an area where we'll have to agree to disagree.  It used to be the new Microsoft standard to put company name/software name.  Over the years since Windows 95 first premiered, installations have gotten away from that standard- partially because customers didn't like it, especially for one product companies.  If one installer company still sticks to an outdated standard, it seems like they should be the one to take the brunt of the blame.  If you use the IS wizard, this setting will never come up.