topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Living without AutoHotkey - possible?  (Read 86839 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Living without AutoHotkey - possible?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2006, 09:38 AM »
should I forgot one that I didn't use in weeks I just hit my shortcut that brings up the AHK script where I can search for it :) Would I use some Treepad-clone I wouldn't be able to access that info so quickly.
I should have thought of using a hotkey to bring it up  :)  presumably in whatever editor you're using.
Yes - since it's AHK we are talking about you are totally free to decide. ;)

Type Pilot from Two Pilots stores its abbreviations in a tree structure, which should work well for large numbers of phrases.  But you seem indissolubly wedded to AHK  :)  After all, it does a lot of other things, too.
Hehe, true :D

Jon Knowles' ABCZ rule for making abbreviations - found by following one of Harrie's text expander posts - is a very useful way of systematising abbreviations/shorthands for normal text, but needs modifying for things like paths and whatnot.  You system looks sensible, as long as one sticks to it  ;)
Nice page! It's never bad to get some new ideas :)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 10:13 AM »
And since AutoHotkey is working perfectly on an USB stick too, I now can still enjoy all those benefits while using another PC - great! http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9089/animatedgifcheerleadersmiley5b.gif
Living without AutoHotkey - possible?

I'd love to hear about other uses too!

I didn't know that! Excellent. I can't install software on my work computer so running off a USB stick is my only option.

thanx,
tinjaw

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2006, 07:39 AM »
I recently visited some guy and by connecting my USB stick to his notebook, I showed him the power of AutoHotkey (and other stuff, including this site, which I of course opened with an AHK string :D).

He was quite surprised what's possible since he never heard of AHK before. I bet many more users would use it if they knew how it could alleviate their pain...

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 05:56 AM »
In the last few days AutoHotkey helped me to avoid manually pressing several keys about 9200 times and going insane in the process.
 :-* :-* :-*

If you want another IRC channel to idle in and have a nice discussion every now and then, /join #autohotkey @ irc.freenode.net - there are only a few users in there until now, but as we all now, quality beats quantity. ;)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 06:42 AM »
Well with out reading the posts (well skimming thru it..) but reading the title... yes I think it's quite possible to live with out AutoHotKey, I'm sure the people who have never heard of it or ever used it live.. therefore making living possible..

;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2006, 10:04 AM »
Well with out reading the posts (well skimming thru it..) but reading the title... yes I think it's quite possible to live with out AutoHotKey, I'm sure the people who have never heard of it or ever used it live.. therefore making living possible..

;D
I can't second that: to me, really living is also a way of life, more than just avoiding the death of all of your body cells. But that would be a completely different discussion... ;-)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 02:06 PM »
I've decided that I would like to start using AutoHotKey for tasks at work but the internet restrictions block the AHK website (because it's a forum--Good thing they don't know about DC yet!). I managed to find a version of AHK (104407) at Download.com, but the included .chm help file gives me the IE "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable." for every article, so I can't learn how to use its syntax here.

Bummer!

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2006, 02:14 PM »
I've decided that I would like to start using AutoHotKey for tasks at work but the internet restrictions block the AHK website (because it's a forum--Good thing they don't know about DC yet!). I managed to find a version of AHK (104407) at Download.com, but the included .chm help file gives me the IE "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable." for every article, so I can't learn how to use its syntax here.
You can download it at home and install it on an USB drive or burn the installation onto a CD.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2006, 02:52 PM »
I'm guessing Deozaan know's that.. but is not able to do that.. probably cuz his work restricts such compromising activity?  ;)

btw, Deozaan what are you talking about? 1 - you got the download and you want to view the ahk help file but can't. 2 - you haven't got the download cuz of some .chm thing. 3 - yeah what are u talking bout?  :huh:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2006, 06:54 PM »
I'm guessing Deozaan knows that.. but is not able to do that.. probably cuz his work restricts such compromising activity?  ;)

btw, Deozaan what are you talking about? 1 - you got the download and you want to view the ahk help file but can't. 2 - you haven't got the download cuz of some .chm thing. 3 - yeah what are u talking bout?  :huh:

Yes I did know that but I just decided I wanted to give it a try while I was at work and didn't want to wait until I got home to start learning how to do it. My work restricts the autohotkey.com website because it's a forum, but I managed to download a version of it from Download.com (for some reason I'm not able to save files to the hard drive but I can Open/Run them straight from the website (download into temp dir, then run, then the file deletes itself)) but the help file that came with it (a .chm file) shows the index/contents on the left but the main content is just IE "can't access page" errors.

I'm home now so I guess I'll just visit the site and download everything I need.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I want to suggest another DC AHK group donation fund. $100?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I second that.
Ahk is really making my life easier.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 04:02 AM »

No.  All DC members would be contributing, but I doubt all of them use it.  Those who do, can make personal donations to AHK's author and/or to the AHK-using authors on DC.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 07:49 AM »
No.  All DC members would be contributing, but I doubt all of them use it.  Those who do, can make personal donations to AHK's author and/or to the AHK-using authors on DC.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I suggested a DC group donation, not a DC donation. DC would just set up the empty fund, everyone interested would donate into that fund.

Then DC/mouser would transfer the complete amount. Benefits: less PayPal fees, more of the money reaches AHK, etc.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I suggested a DC group donation, not a DC donation. DC would just set up the empty fund, everyone interested would donate into that fund.

Then DC/mouser would transfer the complete amount. Benefits: less PayPal fees, more of the money reaches AHK, etc.

You mean sort of an "AHK special interest group" within DC, using DC as the "transport medium" to transfer the cash?  That sounds OK, as long as Mouser (and any other DC administrators) are willing to to the donkeywork.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 10:09 AM »
You mean sort of an "AHK special interest group" within DC, using DC as the "transport medium" to transfer the cash?  That sounds OK, as long as Mouser (and any other DC administrators) are willing to to the donkeywork.
;D ;D
I'd guess that's not too much work - mouser could probably recycle the AHK fund 'user' used last time, and when 100% (of whatever amount) is reached use PayPal to transfer the money.

Maybe mouser could share some details :)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13 AM »
I am intrigued by AHK but I am a long time Powerpro user. I saw that a couple of you are familiar with both programs. Does AHK offer any advantage over Powerpro? I currently have PP controlling just about everything on my computer and it uses very little resources. The program is still being updated but I have to admit, it is starting to show its age as it still has a lot of remnants from the past in it. Plus, it is not portable which I'm reading AHK is.

Can AHK create custom toolbars that are active only when certain programs are running?
Can AHK control the clipboard?

I'd love to give AHK a whirl but I have so much effort invested in PP right now I'm reluctant to switch. I might try running both for awhile and see if I can do everything in AHK that I currently do in PP.

One thing I do like is that PP has a very active usergroup in Yahoo Groups. Is there any such thing for AHK besides IRC?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:15 AM by edbro »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I am intrigued by AHK but I am a long time Powerpro user. I saw that a couple of you are familiar with both programs. Does AHK offer any advantage over Powerpro? I currently have PP controlling just about everything on my computer and it uses very little resources. The program is still being updated but I have to admit, it is starting to show its age as it still has a lot of remnants from the past in it.

Can AHK create custom toolbars that are active only when certain programs are running?

I'd love to give AHK a whirl but I have so much effort invested in PP right now I'm reluctant to switch. I might try running both for awhile and see if I can do everything in AHK that I currently do in PP.

One thing I do like is that PP has a very active usergroup in Yahoo Groups. Is there any such thing for AHK besides IRC?
You didn't read many threads here, eh? ;-) Yes, AHK could do that, and much more. To inspire you, check out what Skrommel did with it: https://www.donation...m/Software/Skrommel/

AHK has a very active forum on http://www.autohotkey.com/ - much better than a Yahoo! Group IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:54 PM by brotherS »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007, 11:22 AM »
You didn't read many thread here, eh? ;-)
Actually I did read them all so I take a bit of offense at your jibe. But, I do appreciate your answer. I saw no mention of AHK being able to do toolbars. Nor did I see a reference to forums, only IRC.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Actually I did read them all so I take a bit of offense at your jibe. But, I do appreciate your answer. I saw no mention of AHK being able to do toolbars. Nor did I see a reference to forums, only IRC.
Rest assured that it was just a jibe of the friendly kind 8)

You might have a specific definition of "custom toolbars" in mind, but you should quickly find out more. I suggest you post in the AHK forum, giving them lots of details and asking for feedback if what you plan to do is possible.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 02:34 AM »
-edbro

I haven't used it [yet] but I think this thread is relevant:
DONE: Barnacle - Add toolbars to your favorite programs

[Edit] think I misunderstood your request, but:
1) "Can AHK create custom toolbars ..." don't know myself
2)  I think the link above will still be of interest  :)
Tom
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:39 AM by tomos »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 08:17 AM »
I think I might try using a combo of both Powerpro and AHK. PP allows me to build very easily a custom toolbar with my own icons. I have custom toolbars for several programs and each button behaves differently for Rclick, Mclick and Lclick. For example, I have toolbar that only is active with Firefox that replaces FF's bookmarks toolbar with my own toolbar of favorites.

It does appear that AHK's scripting capability is very comprehensive so I will be playing with that some.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 11:40 AM »
edbro: I also use PowerPro and AHK. I use PowerPro to build menus and launchers and manage hotkeys, and I use AHK to build "mini-apps" as front-ends to command-line tools.

Besides, I hate PowerPro's scripting. Autohotkey is much easier to understand.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I am intrigued by AHK but I am a long time Powerpro user. I saw that a couple of you are familiar with both programs. Does AHK offer any advantage over Powerpro?

edbro,

Be aware that DC is awash with AHK zealots whose fiery evangelism makes Billy Graham look wishy-washy...  ;)

Both AHK and PowerPro are fine products, but they are very different.  Edvard's approach of using whichever does a particular job best seems the right one to me.  Many other choices exist; I think Mouser, for example, said he uses Macro Express.

Small part of the AHK help file entry on clipboard:
Clipboard is a built-in variable that reflects the current contents of the Windows clipboard if those contents can be expressed as text. By contrast, ClipboardAll contains everything on the clipboard, such as pictures and formatting.

But if you want the kind of clipboard support you get in PowerPro, maybe you'd be better off staying with PowerPro, or try one of the many other clipboard enhancers such as Mouser's (Donation Coder's) own Clipboard Help + Spell.

Likewise with sticky notes, try e.g. Zhorn software's Stickies or Magic Notes,
and I don't think AHK has anything remotely like PowerPro's excellent scheduler, or its support for virtual desktops.  Again, you can find plenty of alternatives; but PowerPro already has it all built in...