I chose other for several reasons...but most go back essentially to what others are saying.
About 3 years ago I built my own machine because I can
and really not for any other reason, really. I chose all my own parts and fought with a few minor gliches and incompatibilities. I built it as a mid-ranged gaming rig, mostly out of cost concerns, and used it for about two years. At the same time, I had been using a laptop at work.
About a year ago, my mother got very sick and the family packed up and moved in to take care of her. After her death, we have stayed here and still are moving stuff in, so we are hardly what I call settled. One of the things packed during that time is my desktop computer. We pulled it out for a short while to replace her PC that fried from a surge, but packed it away again when another surge destroyed the new surge suppressor. It has been packed away ever since.
When I was using both, I was using the laptop about 60% of the time, the desktop the other 40%, and almost always for gaming. Since then I have been using the laptop 100%, but have not changed my machine roll - I just don't game anymore. Well that is not quite true, I just haven't PC gamed in the past year. I find the laptop more than a match for everything I do, from programming (learning anyway) to internet to picture enhancement, to actual work (desktop support work if interested). My company provides the laptop, a docking station, and all the peripherals to make the laptop a suitable desktop when docked. It is very adequate and quite comfortable.
So I guess my rambling is basically getting to why I chose other - I used to use both more or less equally, but now I use my laptop equally in docking station and out. Is that laptop or desktop? You decide, I am tired