topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GemX - missing in action  (Read 266785 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GemX - missing in action
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2008, 05:46 PM »
No worries. I sent off a note to support last night. Haven't had a response BUT I re-activated my forum id and got a response saying:

We verified your account status and realized that the doO and TNP accounts were deleted simultaneously by mistake. Please send us your registration info as per email you received when ordering TexNotes Pro and we will re-activate your account. We apologize for the inconveniance.

Which was nice - they're paying attention!

It's all good...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Done and sorted... and I STILL have access to a download for the latest version of Do-Organizer 3 (version 3.2)  :o Right... now that I have a responsive support team, I'll e-mail them again and let them know!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Wow! Things have changed around GemX - I've already had an answer to that e-mail as well.

borengate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2008, 02:34 AM »
Hi Darwin,

That are good news. They are quite active indeed.
Yesterday, I sent my registration to the GemX forum and I received the validation e-mail very quickly.
They have charged their batteries and it seems that they are plenty of energy.
We will see...

Bo

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37 PM »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:37 PM by doublewitt »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2008, 11:31 AM »
And now an extra discount (at least until Jan 10th) - 2 for price of 1. So, if 2 of you want to buy, that's only $25 each. Not so long ago, that would have been $165.

Seems pretty cheap to me, even if they don't produce a new version.

And they are looking for suggestions etc for v4.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:35 AM by Dormouse »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2009, 08:51 AM »
And again at $25 on BitsDuJour (March 27th).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56 AM »
So... anyone using Do-Organizer or TexNotes Pro regularly at the momet? If so, I’d be curious to hear how people are finding it, how support is, etc. Now that things (should) have settled down at GemX following their re-launch late last fall I’m interested in how they are doing. I am on Vista 64 so haven’t been paying much attention (because of compatibility issues), but today’s Bits Du Jour offering got me thinking about them again...

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I use DO regularly and like it - though there's quite a lot of things I'd prefer it did differently (but then there are so many things that it does). It is convenient having so many functions in one prog.

Forum tends to get responses, but isn't very active. v4 screenshots are put up from time to time and it is supposed to be in development. It doesn't work with 64 bit OSs (I think) but v4 would. Don't know about support since I have never tried using it.

My idea that they are wringing as much money as they can out of v3 seems to be accurate enough judging from the various price cuts and offers that have come along. I certainly think it is a snip at $25 for anyone who has a use for it. Presumably v4 will cost more, and presumably there will be an upgrade cost - though they do seems to have moved to a much cheaper standard pricing model than they had in the old days

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Forum tends to get responses, but isn't very active.

No, it's not very active, not at all. It's not very welcoming, IMHO. Read the Rules.

If you were a member of the original forum, and you read the long list of every conceivable offense that could occur on any forum, you'll know that many, if not most of these offenses never even occurred on the old forum. So, why list them? It's condescending. Exactly what is considered inappropriate behavior? Most of us know. Or rather, we think we know. I never thought criticism of a mod was unacceptable, if conveyed in the manner described below:

Someone just got treated very rudely - in all caps - by a mod, and it specifically states in the DON'Ts to not write in all caps...no "Welcome to the forum, but...", no gentle prodding in the right direction, just a straight-up rude response. Now, if I point that out publicly in the (poor) user's defense, (and I do that from time to time and with great sincerity), no matter how gently or tactfully it's done, I still may get kicked off the forum, as stated in the Rules.

Public complaints (and I assume that includes criticisms) about the moderation of the forum are not allowed, and the moderator states:
"Don't break the rules so we have to deal with you and that resulting in your membership account being deleted permenantly without any email sent to you explaining why. If your post is gone, obviously, you violated the forum rules."

Thanks, but no thanks...after all of my participation on the original forum, not to mention all of the interaction I've had with the GemX team themselves from early 2004 until the close of their first forum, I don't think I'd handle getting kicked off their new forum - with no written explanation - and my post deleted - very graciously.
-Sarah

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2009, 05:00 AM »
Do you think that the people involved with GemX now are the same as before?

Not having been involved before the original forums closed, I have no emotional reaction to the loss although I massively regret the loss of the community and info that was there. ATM it is a fairly standard vendor forum (many of which are very sensitive to criticism) but with little activity of any sort. I don't really see that changing unless they start launching a new version (presumably has to be v4 at this stage, though there have been 2 minor versions of 3 since their relaunch). I see DO as an 'as is' product, and on that basis I'm happy with it. v4 would have to have clear advantages for me to upgrade.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I am not registered at their forum but despite some bugs, one is so trivial that I still think I am mistaken, I like it and it's one of the programs I use most. In general I like 'packages' (alarms, mind map, contact, etc in one place) I will probably jump to four if it's not too expensive, whenever it eventually comes out.
The trivial bug, more like a strange feature, I mentioned is I have a task set to let's say start  Jan.1st and date due Feb28th. What is the proper way to calculate due or overdue and show in popups?

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: March 28, 2009, 02:07 PM »
What is the proper way to calculate due or overdue and show in popups?

dcdotaskreminder.jpgGemX - missing in action
-Sarah

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: March 28, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Do you think that the people involved with GemX now are the same as before?
Well, the moderator is the same, but the tech support doesn't appear to be the same...who knows?
-Sarah

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)

Thank you but I meant the question as a way to ask about the 'bug'. I did check the 'show reminder...' and added Jan.1st, so after Jan.1st I got notices that said overdue... and I am still getting it when Feb.28th has passed (of course I haven't 'completed' the task). In general, when setting up an alarm with a start and end date when should one get 'overdues'? and how should the number of days overdue be calculated?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:37 PM by rgdot »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Well, the moderator is the same, but the tech support doesn't appear to be the same...who knows?
In the BdJ comments, the developer called himself Jon

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #366 on: March 28, 2009, 04:08 PM »

Thank you but I meant the question as a way to ask about the 'bug'. I did check the 'show reminder...' and added Jan.1st, so after Jan.1st I got notices that said overdue... and I am still getting it when Feb.28th has passed (of course I haven't 'completed' the task).
I think you answered your own question here  ;)
In general, when setting up an alarm with a start and end date when should one get 'overdues'?
There are no end dates on alarms.
If you mean, "When setting up a task with a start & a due date, when should one get overdue task notifications,"
the answer is, as soon as the task is overdue.
and how should the number of days overdue be calculated?
Days overdue is calculated from the date your task was due, but was not marked as 'done'.
If you're saying you cannot see it, add that column to your Tasks view.

I think we're getting way off topic here, so if you have any more questions about how to use DoOrganizer, please PM me and I will be happy to help you out.  :)
-Sarah
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:12 PM by SKesselman »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: March 28, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Thank you  :)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2009, 01:08 AM »
GemX posted an update for Do-organizer v4 here today, for anyone interested.
-Sarah

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Tried to see if there are any new updates, got an AVG warning when trying to access their forum (I copied the warning text, it's a hijack/cgi script)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Tried to see if there are any new updates, got an AVG warning when trying to access their forum (I copied the warning text, it's a hijack/cgi script)

What do you do when that happens?
Tell them via email? Does it mean someone hacked their site or that GemX is hijacking your browser?
I can't see them doing anything like that on purpose (?).

:huh:
-Sarah

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Clicking the 'GemX Forums' link on their front page popped up the AVG warning. Assuming AVG is not being paranoid or plain wrong someone likely attempted to inject a script  in their forums and/or site.

I will email them the details, even if it is nothing good if they at least know

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I went there and got an AVG warning, too. Brilliant move. It said now my program files FF file is infected.
-Sarah

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #373 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Emailed them.

If the AVG warning came up it must have prevented an actual infection I think.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Well... I'm not beta testing do-organizer 4, having asked years ago to be put on the beta testing list. I can report that v.4 seems stable and that it works with Windows 7 (previous versions do not - they don't retain any db information on system restart).

So, gemx IS developing their products and seem fairly active on their own forum. However, reading between the lines (based on the number of non-gemx rep posters there), I'd say that they lost a LOT of customers over the last three or so years.

In my case, v.4 is nice, but I've moved beyond this sort of product (I think). The combo of Outlook and OneNote 2010 with VueMinder Calendar really works for me and will be hard to switch away from. Time will tell...