topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager  (Read 50773 times)

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:00 PM »
I'm looking for an application which helps me organize a whole bunch of misc information which might fall into the category of "if I fall ill or die" such as:
  • Personal details
  • Health History
  • Financial Infromation (account numbers, balances, urls, account access passwords, etc.)
  • Safe Deposit boxes, info
  • Safe Location/combo
  • Insurance Policy Details
  • Mortgage Details
  • Ongoing Bills
  • home asset inventory (pics, serials)
  • Passwords
  • Diary, wishes

I'm thinking the scope is simply too broad for any single software but I'd like to have everything in one place.  I suppose I can use something like MS OneNote (I have inventory already in Excel) but thought perhaps someone might know of something that might fit the bill.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Another fantastic idea.. Love to hear what people come up with here..
I think one thing to realize is that such a "program" or just folder structure, could be useful not just in organizing such material, but in reminding users what information they should make accessible.

In other words, i wonder if what would be best is simply a directory tree with some readme's in it, that a person could download and attempt to fill with info (files, images, etc)., and just tell your loved ones about it's existence.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:15 PM »
An interesting thought....yes, I am mainly looking for an outline more than a program.  Perhaps it can be as simple as a "website" that exists not on the internet but rather on a local network.  That would of course be the most flexible in terms of layout and organization.  It would also allow for file attachments such as bills, scans of important docs, etc.  Even on a local network, any method that compiles such sensitive info would need to be secure (encryption and access control perhaps).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Yep, in fact we've talked in the past on the forum about local intranet/lan type web service that can help co-ordinate family information, contact info, activities.  It's a great subject.

pol7416

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44 PM »
This may be a useful document to start with ...

http://discoveryques...document_locator.pdf

here is some of the contents

Document Locator SystemPeople usually keep their important records scattered in a variety of different places. Some may be kept in a file cabinet, others in a safety deposit box, while other vital information may be kept on file at out attorney’s office.With the use of The Document Locator System, you and your loved ones will be able to locate medical information, insurance papers, wills, and other important personal documents quickly and easily when the need arises.How To Use The Document Locator System Complete the questions on page 1, and any other items that may apply on the remaining pages. If any item does not apply to you mark the Not Applicablebox after the item to let the reader know that you did not forget to address the item.If you are married, this record should be kept in a secure location known to husband or wife. If you are not married, keep it in a location known to a close friend or relative. You should update this form once a year. It is a good idea to mark your calendar to ensure that you make updates at the same time each year, time tends to go by quickly! ©Think 2wice, Inc. 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
2Your Name: ____________________________ Date: __________ Spouses Name: ____________________________ Note the following important information in the event of your death: 1) I have written a personal letter to: _______________________________ This letter is located __________________________________________ 2) I have a living will: ___ Yes ___ No The following people have copies of this will: Name: ______________________ Phone: __________________ Address: _____________________________________________________ Name: ______________________ Phone: __________________ Address: _____________________________________________________ 3) I have made arrangements to donate the following organs for transplant: Organ: ______________________ Donate to: _______________ Organ: ______________________ Donate to: _______________ Please contact immediately in the event of death: Name: _______________________ Phone: __________________ Address: _____________________________________________________ Name: _______________________ Phone: __________________ Address: _____________________________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 3
3Please indicate the location of the following items: LocationNot ApplicableSocial Security Cards Birth Certificates Adoption Certificates Marriage Certificate Divorce/Separation Papers Power of AttorneyLiving WillOriginal Will Passports Medical Records Military Records Personal
Page 4
4LocationNot ApplicableAuto/Vehicle Title Property DeedsPost Office BoxSafety Deposit Box Keys (house, car, etc.) Funeral/Burial Instructions Cemetery Plot Papers Personal Other
Page 5
5LocationNot ApplicableMedical Insurance Life Insurance Car/VehicleHomeowners/Rental Long Term Care DisabilityLocationNot ApplicableChecking Accounts Savings Accounts Credit Union Accounts Certificates of Deposit Mutual Funds Insurance Financial
Page 6
6Stocks & Bonds Money Market Accounts LocationNot Applicable401- K, IRA, (etc.)Pensions Social SecurityLocationNot ApplicableMortgageAuto/Vehicle Loans Personal LoansCredit Cards RetirementFinancial Liabilities
Page 7
7LocationNot ApplicableTax Returns & Records Year:Year:Year:Year:Year:Year:PhysiciansName: Phone: Name:Phone:Name:Phone:Name:Phone:ClergyName:Phone:AttorneyName:Phone:Name:Phone:Insurance Agents Name:Phone:Name:Phone:Stock Brokers Name:Phone:Name:Phone:Signature:Date:Signature:Update: Signature:Update:Signature: Update: Signature: Update: Signature: Update: *Please remember to update yearly and keep copy* ©Think 2wice, Inc. 2004Tax Returns & Records Important Names & Numbers

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Wow, this is timely.
I've just gone through this process of getting all stuff in order just in case.
I didn't find much online, it seems to fall under estate planning and people want money for their lists and to advise you.

I did find two guides that were pretty helpful.
Emergency Financial First Aid Kit and a Personal Disaster Preparedness Guide:
http://www.operation...dev/clst4.php?id=170

From my own poking around, I cobbled together a Personal Records guide. Its 14 pages (text, good sized type)and is a little redundant in some places, but I would be happy to share it.
Some of it is stuff I've grabbed off the net (freely available) and some of it is stuff I've thought of myself.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Yes please do share it.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:59 PM »
mouser, what would the best way be to make it available to all?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:08 PM »
You can attach it to your post, or if you think it's a project you might like to make a web page for i can make some space for you.

I think it would be really nice to see a few people from the dc forum here get together and produce a kind of "kit" of the form i described above, basically just a zipped up directory structure with subfolders for different kinds of information, and a nice little guide (or a bunch of readme's or pdfs in each of the different folders) for what should get put where.

However it's done remember to be respectful of copyright stuff -- if you include something someone else wrote, make sure it's ok to do so, and cite then and their website properly.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 04:41 PM »
Ok. Let me get an answer back on use of one of the forms, its copyrighted.

I could post a link to the page where the forms are, but the form itself is copyrighted. I've sent a note asking permission to use it.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Posting the link to the website where the form is wouldn't violate copyright rules, no?

lesterst

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Quicken supports most of this, including home inventory.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 11:38 PM »
Posting the link to the website where the form is wouldn't violate copyright rules, no?

Not as far as I understand internet copyright (which is precious little, but I do belong to a group of artists, and the topic is raised repeatedly.)

Here's the link to the site, the file is available for download as a .pdf or a Word document and can be filled in using either format.
http://militaryfinan...eplan_checklist.html
Thorough and impressive checklist

The ones I've come up with (e.g. they popped into my head) are:

•   PIN Number(s) for debit/credit cards so loved ones have access to your funds
•   Voice mail – how to use and security code
•   Any online Bill Paying information or automatic withdrawals
•   Color copies of Social Security card and Driver’s License in addition to the numbers
•   Color copies of any insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, or other important cards
•   If living out of state, the number of a friend or neighbor who can handle things or care for pets until you can get there. 

Computers:
Internet service providers or web hosting services
email accounts
online services
software applications (all the ones that need keycodes I have in a file that contains the .exe's and the keycodes together. I replace the .exe's as they are updated)               
cell phones
Online accounts like amazon.com - I've printed out all my accounts and password using Roboform. This includes any on line bill paying, online banking, online credit card activity is all in there.

I've printed out a list of people to notified if anything happens to me so no one has to try to find them on my computer. May be obvious but I included any memberships or organizations I have.

One thing to think about is if you want your computer accessible at all if something happens - there are some articles and places online outlining how you can set up a "self-destruct" system.

Any bank accounts and property I own I've put a "POD" (Pay On Death) option on. Here at least, some Pay On Death assets don't go through probate and are transferred to the person named on the POD.

Advanced Directive and Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care

Available as a free download from Suze Orman’s web site:
http://www.suzeorman..._form1&GnavID=31

An advanced directive is designed to tell your doctor or medical-care provider your wishes with respect to end-of-life decisions, such as whether or not to keep you on a life-support machine. A durable power of attorney for health care designates an agent to make health-care decisions for you as if they were you.
If you recall the Terry Schiavo case in Florida, that is what motivated me into making one of these.
Its easy, print it out, have it notarized and signed by two witnesses.

In the USA, at some point you will have to deal with the Social Security Administration.

I've gotten the two areas you'll need right off their web site (they encourage you to take all the information you want)
and put them in one place.
One is reporting a death and the other is applying for a lump sum benefit.
Contact information is included.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Dealing with Social Security:

Report a Death

Please accept our condolences for your loss of a family member.

You can report the death to a service representative by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM on business days. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 AM and 7 PM on business days. Whenever you call, have the deceased person's Social Security number handy.

If you are getting benefits on your spouse's record when he or she dies, we will change your payments to survivors benefits.

If you are getting benefits on your own record, you can apply for survivors benefits. Call or visit us to find out whether you can get more money as a widow or widower.

Current benefits for children will automatically change to survivors benefits after the death is reported to us.

Applying for the Lump-Sum Death Benefit

Information you’ll Need When You Apply for the Lump-Sum Death Benefit

Introduction

Whether it’s by phone or in person, we want your visit to go as smoothly as possible. You can help by being ready to answer the following questions and having as many of the needed documents as possible.

We may also ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible:

* Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
    * Naturalization papers;
    * U.S. military discharge paper(s);
    * W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.

We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

Don’t delay filing your claim just because you don’t have all the documents. We’ll help you get them.   

When you apply for the death benefit, we will ask you:

* Your name and social security number;
    * The deceased worker's name, gender, date of birth and social security number;
    * The deceased worker's date and place of death;
    * Whether the deceased worker ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or    Supplemental Security Income (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record he or she applied);
    * Whether the deceased worker was unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time during the 14 months before his or her death (if "Yes," we will also ask when he or she became unable to work)
    * Whether the deceased worker was ever in the active military service (if "Yes," we will also ask for the dates of his or her service)
    * Whether the deceased worker worked for the railroad industry for 7 years or more;
    * Whether the deceased worker earned social security credits under another country's social security system;
    * The names, dates of birth (or age) and social security numbers (if known) of any of the deceased worker's former spouses and the dates of the marriages and how and when they ended;
    * The names of any of the deceased worker's unmarried children under 18, 18-19 and in secondary school or disabled prior to age 22;
    * The amount of the deceased worker's earnings in the year of death and the preceding year;
    * Whether the deceased worker had a parent who was dependent on the worker for 1/2 of his or her support at the time of the worker's death; and
    * Whether the deceased worker and surviving spouse were living together at the time of death.

If you are the surviving spouse, we will also ask:

* Whether you have been unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time within the past 14 months (if "Yes," we will also ask when you became unable to work);
    * Whether you or anyone else ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf (if so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied); and
    * The names, dates of birth (or age) and social security numbers (if known) of any of your former spouses and the dates of the marriages and how and when they ended.

If you are not the surviving spouse, we will also ask for the surviving spouse's name and address.

You also should bring along your checkbook or other papers that show your account number at a bank, credit union or other financial institution so you can sign up for Direct Deposit, and avoid worries about lost or stolen checks and mail delays.

Contacting Social Security:
Social Security has a toll-free number that operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday: 1-800-772-1213. If you have a touch-tone phone, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Please have your Social Security number handy when you call us.

That's most of what I have. The rest adds an item or two here or there that's probably covered somewhere.

One more thing, when filling out the records, I put a big N/A next to anything that didn't apply to me.
That makes it easy to see at a glance what isn't there so no searches for non-existent documents etc. would ensue.

Two good resources online for more information are:
NOLO:
http://www.nolo.com/...087838F86A2BC2B/309/

and the American Bar Association:
http://www.abanet.or...ppt/public/home.html

Sorry so much of this information is US-centric, since this is where I live, this is what I've needed to know.

mouser, if there's a better way or place to put this information, I'll be happy to do it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:52 PM by laughinglizard »

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Not as far as I understand internet copyright (which is precious little, but I do belong to a group of artists, and the topic is raised repeatedly.)

Wow, so just posting a link or URL to a website which contains copywrited material is a voilation of the copyright?  I would think Google among others is in major trouble as well.  It would violate copyright if you attached a copy or content from the copyrighted material without permission.  I would argue it does not violate copyright to point to the location where the author stores the material for public availability.

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I think for something you are going to expect other people to access, possibly at some distant point in the future, putting the info into a proprietary, application-based format is probably not a good idea. You'd be better off with something that will be accessible from any machine, using standards-based technology.

I was going to suggest Tiddlywiki from the little bit that was posted on the front page. I've had to give up OneNote at work, and I just finished moving all my data into Tiddlywiki. I find it to be slick and very capable, if not quite as easy to use as OneNote. But because it's standards based, I think Tiddlywiki is actually better for a project like this.

Pros: No special software needed; works in any web browser - Single file for easy backup/distribution (as long as no pictures are used) - Accessible on local hard drive and also over a network.

Cons: Requires familiarity with wiki formatting to create formatted content.

After reading this, I still think it's a good idea, but maybe instead of just starting with the default Tiddlywiki, we could put together a customized version based on the info provided here? That would reduce the reliance on having to format your own content, it could be a lot more "fill in the blanks".
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I've actually just started with TiddlyWiki.....brand new to it before this effort.  It seems quite capable for this and many other of my Organization Obsessions.  I especially like:
  • open source standard
  • easy and intuitive to use yet highly powerful configurations/extensions
  • lends itself well USB pen drive (for protection) and single file approach for easy transfer to others
  • has tons of plug-ins, themes, macros, variants, distributions
  • active and helpful community
  • perfect for misc bits of information that are somewhat apples and oranges

I could see TiddlyWiki being one of my new must-have software apps, easily replacing M$ OneNote.  Right now, I'm playing with themes, plug-ins, macros and the like to get the exact customized TiddlyWiki I want.  For example, I find it very easy to get overwhelmed with all the tiddys open (even with the close others/all macro)....but there are some great plug-ins that address this like the breadcrumbs plugin, singlepagemode plugin, and tiddlersbar plug-in.  Once I get it the way I want, I'll then focus on content and layout.

My concern about making a distribution is if we use some of the copyrighted material referenced in above posts.....despite my sarcasm, I would definately want to ensure we obtain permission before including any copyrighted material.

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Well, there are ways to obtain copyrights - sometimes just asking for them!

For inclusion in a not-for-profit project, with an embedded link back to the source site, the copyright holders of these various pieces might be amenable to having them included in the project.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Wow, so just posting a link or URL to a website which contains copywrited material is a voilation of the copyright?  I would think Google among others is in major trouble as well.  It would violate copyright if you attached a copy or content from the copyrighted material without permission.  I would argue it does not violate copyright to point to the location where the author stores the material for public availability.

No, what I was saying is that as far as I know, posting a link back to a site that contains copyrighted material is ok.
We all post links to sites all the time - with and without copyrighted material.

The problem comes when you copy or take any content from a site and add it or use it on another web site or claim it as your original material.
I don't do that and I don't think others here do either.
I'd need permission (where needed), credit, and proper attribution before I used anyone's material.

Well, there are ways to obtain copyrights - sometimes just asking for them!
For inclusion in a not-for-profit project, with an embedded link back to the source site, the copyright holders of these various pieces might be amenable to having them included in the project.

Exactly. I've asked for permission to use their document here, I haven't heard back yet.
Until I hear back, I posted a link back to the site that contains the document - which you can download in .pdf or .doc for yourself.

If they say sure, use the document, fine, it can be added here.
If they'd prefer not to, a link back to their site will work as well.

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I have a pretty good TiddlyWiki shell for this.  I am utilizing a the  MonkeyPirateTiddlyWiki distribution, featuring "TagglyTagging".  If/When we have permission to make it available here (as it contains some copyrighted info, I will do so.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Wow! This is a great thread. Particularly for those of us with dependants. I'll be working through the suggestions and will get some of this implemented so that if anything happens to me, my wife isn't left beating her head against the wall because she doesn't know the password to access our credit card online, when the house insurance is due, etc. Thanks johnfdelcua and laughinlizard  :Thmbsup:

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 03:10 PM »
Guess we didn't get the copyrighter's use blessing.  A shame because I have a pretty powerful TiddyWiki which utilizes built in forms to input and store the information and include views.  Things like personal information, bank accounts, assets, insurance, home inventory, investments, annuities,   legal docs (wills, trusts, power of attorney, etc.), affiliations (work, military, church, school), web/software accounts (urls, userids, passwords, keys), and final directives (who to notify, special music or readings at funeral, etc.).  I'm quite impressed with the TiddlyWiki capabilities.....the forms plug-in make the data entry very intuitive and the encryption plug-in ensures it stays completely secure. 

I'm now looking to change the structure/content to alleviate the copyright so I can make it available for others to use.

chrisa52

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 03:25 PM »
I've been thinking of a similar app for quite a while.

The best I've been able to come up with is some sort of wiki; running either on a small server behind a firewall on your home network or as a personal wiki on your local machine.

I think a wiki 'add-on' to do the other functionality you want might work.
It's Later Than You Think.

Fosdick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Here's a FREE program from State Farm Insurance that I've been using for a while.... very detailed, complete, and easy to use although its not the most modern looking GUI.

Its called "Family Matters" and the current URL for download is:

http://www.statefarm...enter_fammatters.asp

Try it.... it may just get you organized and solve your problem.  :up:
thumbs up
smiley

ivanv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 07:28 AM »
Finally, something I can chime in.

I keep everything in a KeePass file. I just attach scanned copies to individual entries in the DB, they can be PDFs, DOCs, Excel files, or anything else.

This way it's very secure, although the only thing I haven't figured out is how to securely allow somebody else access to my file in case of emergency without making it too insecure.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 08:24 AM »
Sorry - I'm a bit late joing this thread!

I was looking at some of the interesting uses of Tiddlywikki particularly with regard to storing 'emergency' or 'personal' info.

I am wondering if there would not be security issues here:

I'll be working through the suggestions and will get some of this implemented so that if anything happens to me, my wife isn't left beating her head against the wall because she doesn't know the password to access our credit card online

Tiddlywikki is using html which in unencrypted form would sit inside the browser cache of any computer it was read on. Wouldn't this leave extremely personal data totally exposed..? This would be especially true if running from a USB stick on multiple computers?

Just a thought...