topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SubmitToTab - a Firefox add-on  (Read 45551 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SubmitToTab - a Firefox add-on
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:31 AM »
SubmitToTab is an extension that adds an option to your context menu to submit an online form to a new tab or window. The context menu option only appears when you right-click on a submit button.

initially i had made a feature request for ZillaRank in this post and this is a Firefox-only solution.. ;)

contextmenu.gif

https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/483

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SubmitToTab - a Firefox add-on
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34 AM »
Yes! Love it. I'd love to see something like this brought into the IE sphere as well...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:47 AM »
Yes! Love it. I'd love to see something like this brought into the IE sphere as well...
Darwin, why not just use Firefox? :P but seriously, i myself would like something such as this when i'm using other browsers such as K-Meleon & etc..

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56 AM »
What's the purpose of submitting a form to open up as a new tab?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:59 AM »
I actually use Maxthon (which, admittedly, is a front end for IE) and ironically uinstalled Opera and Firefox yesterday. I'm just too used to working with Maxthon and the plugins written specifically for it and for IE. Firefox was ok, actually, and I liked it - I just kept coming back to Maxthon (it's the Groups feature and that fact that I've got it configured out the ying-yang that keep me tied to it - setting up another browser and learning to work with it would be more than I can bear!).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:59 AM »
in addition to the menu, you can simply hold the control key while clicking on a submit button to have the form submitted in a new window -- very convenient.

This is actually a very useful thing.  There are lots of times (let's say when using the quick search function at the top of this forum), where you want to keep the current page open and then open the results of the form submission (search results) in a new tab or new window.  So this addon lets you choose when to keep the current page open and open the results in a new tab.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Darwin, why not just use Firefox? :P but seriously, i myself would like something such as this when i'm using other browsers such as K-Meleon & etc..

Darwin: If it's the IE7 look that's keeping you away from Firefox, check out the attached screenshot ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 01:02 AM »

My take on the idea is that you can continue reading the page that you are on while the form is submitted on a different tab/window. This way, you can submit the form and then hit the back button on your browser and continue with whatever it is you are doing (or indeed simply keep reading the page that you happen to have been on) while the form is submitted (or opened) on the new tab/window. You can then switch between the tabs/windows. Multitasking! Men aren't good at it. This will help. Ooh. Aah.  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 01:07 AM »
Heh, heh, nice one sri. It's not the look though it's the plugin support and support of groups in Maxthon that keep me here. I have a set up 5 pages that open up with Maxthon - can't live without that. And I love Roboform, which rules out Opera altogether. Then there are a myriad of little things that I can't list right now. I don't know... Like I said, as luck would have it I uninstalled both FF 2 and Opera 9.23 in a fit of what has been referred to elsewhere on the forums today as "software bulemia". I've been binging on software installations and got panicked and started purging. I'll be reinstalling them soon enough I suspect (I already regret the FF uinstallation as I didn't save its settings and I had it pretty tweaked)... I used them all on and off but live in Maxthon. I've never actually seriously tried surfing in IE7, just pales in comparison to either Maxthon 1.6.1 or Maxthon 2.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 01:09 AM »
i'll re-quote my post from this thread.. ;)

... i'm not sure of the terms so i'll use a scenario: let's say, i'm reading a post and i want to to use the search feature. normally i'd go to the top of the page & type-in the keyword and click on the Search button. then a page is generated with the search results, i want this page to be in a new tab/window so that i can continue reading the post..

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:11 AM »
In my opinion, Firefox can do everything (with add-ons) that Maxthon can.

FF > Maxthon

in terms of features brought forward by the add-ons.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Yup. Fair comment, but I'm stuck in my ways! I just can't be bothered to learn how to do it all in FF, not that it would be so difficult... Sigh, colour me LAZY!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 01:20 AM »
yes, agreed.. my browsing sessions are so intertwined with Firefox that even an occasional fling with K-Meleon puts me off-stride.. ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:28 AM »
Well put. It's an organic, fluid, symbiotic arrangement. I know that Opera and FF are wonderful browsers but it's like being outside on a crisp fall day in a t-shirt with the memory of how cozy the jacket that you're holding in your hand is... it just doesn't feel right.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 03:36 AM »
Nice feature... One use for this would by for making forum posts / forum registrations for forums when you're unsure how stable the forum functionality is. I bet most of us have experienced this: type a long post to some forum / forum registration page and press post only to get a error page or a blank page or a you-didnt-fill-in-the-important-fields-AAA-BBB . And so the form is not submitted. And pressing back in the browser gets you back but all you'd entered is gone.

Let me also back up Darwin a bit... These features makes me stick to Maxthon over Firefox:

1. groups (that is, saving multiple tabs to a .cgp file. Like a .url favorite but with multiple URLs. Very hand, easy to backup and manage.)
2. external utilities (a toolbar where I can add any external tools started through the command line AHK scripts, other applications and so on -- can be started with some maxthon variables as command line parameters like current page URL and title)
3. alt + Z (open last closed tab. I know I can right click tab in FF and do that but I want that hotkey)
4. automatically adding more tab rows when a lot of tabs are opened
5. Powerful Text Filter functionality (that is allowing you to regexp replace content in any page. It's sort of like the 3rd party tool proxomitron but built in; got added in Maxthon2. Very powerful and customizable)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Don't know if you realize it, but you have always(?) been able to do this in Opera without resorting to extensions or customizing. If you simply shift-click any link or form buttons, it will open in a new tab (or window, depending on your settings). If the form button you pressed submits the form, the results will of course be submitted to the new tab or window as well. Should you, like me, prefer to stay away from the mouse when typing in a form, you can achieve the same result by hitting shift+enter to submit, instead of just enter by itself. This keyboard shortcut extends to other parts of the interface as well, and will work in elements like search boxes to.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:22 AM by Dirhael »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 08:36 AM »
There's a reason some of the smartest people love opera -- i guess this is just another one of those reasons.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Don't know if you realize it, but you have always(?) been able to do this in Opera without resorting to extensions or customizing. If you simply shift-click any link or form buttons, it will open in a new tab (or window, depending on your settings).

This works in IE as well...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:10 PM »
This works in IE as well...

Actually while this may work for *links*, it does not seem to work for form buttons, which is what the firefox extension does.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Oh... does in Maxthon, though (I think! Drat - forms, forms everywhere and not a single one to test this on... I'll have to go looking).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Oh... does in Maxthon, though (I think! Drat - forms, forms everywhere and not a single one to test this on... I'll have to go looking).
you can always try it on DC forum search, the quickest you can find.. :)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 07:29 PM »
great extension for searching in library catalogs to, thanks for the tip, id never even thought to look for something like this  :-[ 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Nope - didn't work, opened a new instalnce of this page when I tried a search from the field above and held down the shift key while clicking "search". Opera 1, Maxthon 0...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 07:52 PM »
thankfully Firefox has extensions to fall back on when there are anomalies such as these.. :) anyway, at least you tried..

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 11:08 PM »
The addon works for me, yay, thanks for the tips lanux!  :Thmbsup: