topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Dot Net Preacher Show  (Read 6276 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
The Dot Net Preacher Show
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:28 AM »
A new podcast on .NET   ;)  :

The Dot Net Preacher is about preaching the good word of .NET to the uneducated heathen masses and bringing them into the light of .NET to save their souls from the mortal dangers of PHP, J2EE, Ruby, Python and other false idols.

Let the religious wars begin!  8)

Ok, well, it's a bit different than exactly that... But about .NET all the same.

The Dot Net Preacher Show

RSS Feed (iTunes)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Dot Net Preacher Show
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:32 AM »
Hey nice site there, did u code it from scratch?  :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Hey nice site there, did u code it from scratch?  :)

"Code from scratch"? Huh? Can you speak English please?  :huh:

Heck no! .NET is all about being productive, and the only thing I coded was a tiny bit of HTML - think less than 100 lines.  8)

Creating a generic type of web site should never take more than a couple hours. The installation took me less than 5 minutes. The hard part was finding the skin to buy. :)

The site runs DotNetNuke with NetSyndicate for the podcast. I'm about to add some forums shortly. The whole thing there will take less than 30 minutes. Probably less than 15. Writing the first post and rules (or lack thereof) will take longer. :)

I'll be putting up different intro music that you can get for free as well. Yes - I'm a bit sick of the RIAA stuff like everyone else, and really want to promote musicians who offer free music. Don't take that as I'm all for free stuff - they'll get a bit of free advertising and the next time they're in town, you may just want to take in a concert or visit the bar where they are playing. It's only a different business model. Musicians need to eat as well.  :P

I've got some really good interviews recorded as well from some top notch people. Those will be available later on. I still need to do a lot of editing and the like.

Anyways, I hope people enjoy the show~!

Cheers!

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 09:45 AM »
"Code from scratch"? Huh? Can you speak English please?  :huh:

No offense but I was asking:

Did you code it from scratch or modified a 3rd party script? If latter, typically the developers would appreciate a short "powered by" string at the bottom. I wasn't sure what system you use to run the site so...

Google "code it from scratch" if you do not think the phrase is grammatically sound or is *Martian* English.  ;)

Anyway great show, keep up a good work!  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 10:24 AM »
No offense but I was asking:

Absolutely none taken! :D

Did you code it from scratch or modified a 3rd party script? If latter, typically the developers would appreciate a short "powered by" string at the bottom. I wasn't sure what system you use to run the site so...

I'll be making how the site is run clear in future podcasts. DNN doesn't need a "Powered By" link from me. They're doing very well.

I regularly plug DNN and encourage people to try it out all the time. The value from those endorsements far exceeds a little link on a web site.

I suppose I could go on about licensing issues here, but if you're familiar with the MS way of thinking about Open Source, then you already know that things like the BSD license (DNN is BSD) are very welcome in the MS community.

The GPL forces people to contribute. (Viral licensing and all...)

The MS way, or BSD way, or -Insert something here- way is more about community and a sense of honesty. How we go about that may differ though. For example, there are many large sites running DNN that don't have links to them, but allow DNN to list them as DNN users. That's a huge endorsement and fits in very easily with different business models. Forcing links can deter many people from using a particular solution.

Enough about that though.

Google "code it from scratch" if you do not think the phrase is grammatically sound or is *Martian* English.  ;)

Heck - I was just joking around! What I meant was that with .NET I get a lot of very productive tools, and that there's no need for me to actually do a lot of coding when I can reuse things.

Programming is becoming less and less about good code, and more and more about good reuse of good code. That's not just .NET though. However, .NET puts those kinds of tools in your hands very easily.

Anyway great show, keep up a good work!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks! I hope that people find some value in it. I'll be trying to keep them relatively short and keep the quality high.

Oh - And I've just finished the forums and the first post, but not put them online yet. I'll get that done once I proofread and get another beer!  :beerchug:

BTW - The post did take longer than configuring the forums! :D

Cheers!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 02:15 AM »
i don't understand the topic but i love the production of the show. i hope it becomes very popular.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 02:23 AM »
i don't understand the topic but i love the production of the show. i hope it becomes very popular.

Thank-you!

At the moment I've got tonnes of bandwidth and can easily accommodate it. I'm kind of hoping that I can bust my bandwidth limit! :D

I've put a fair amount of investment into hardware and the like (spent another $600 two weeks ago) in order to keep the production quality relatively high. I don't have a studio, and the voice could be better, but it's a start.

If you're interested in programming at all, the first show (Shown vs. Load & Properties) has a sample application and you can figure things out pretty easily as I comment the code extensively. You can get Visual Studio Express here for free.

Cheers!