topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is there an alternative for Babylon Rightclick Translation software?  (Read 10779 times)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there an alternative for Babylon Rightclick Translation software?
I couldn't found any alternatives until now. :(
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
I find Ultralingua is far superior to Babylon. But of course that's my opinion only. You'll have to try it out for yourself. :)

Ultralingua.jpg
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All freeware /donation ware:

www.QuickDic.de  (DE/EN)

http://www.ego4u.com/en/lingopad (DE/EN/++)
http://www.ego4u.de/de/lingopad

Online:
dict.leo.org
http://www.dict.cc/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Damm it, guys!   :mad:  What about trying to answeer the question? Shame on you!  :D  - and you, Nighted!!! :o You should know a lot better than to call the inferior superior!  :down:
don't ever tell me that I have wasted my money! :P  I loooove my Balylon and you have nothing that can compare to it.  ;)

Sorry, I just jad to get something off my back.  :-[

masu @ right click the Babylon icon and click > Configuration... > Translate > Change... :

babylon.jpg

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- of course you all answered the question in mind, but I really don't care, because masu was right when saying "I couldn't found any alternatives" - meaning there are no alternatives to find because Babylon is The Best. I believe  Ultralingua to be fine, but of course it can never be "far superior" to the best, can it - even if it should happen that it actually is better than The Best...

Sorry, for being in such a mood for war! I have just spend FOUR hours copying and moving, what should have been done in less than half an hour. I really need a better PC. And this frustation I had to take out on you. Please, forgive me!  :-

Its late at night around here, so Good Night - and may peace be with you...  :D

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Curt, why is Babylon so much better?
Just asking. There's a discount active now (still, $40!).
And I bought it, lost the license, and they wanted to charge me $7 for retrieving it. A big no-no.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- yes, their policies are tuff. Also, I was disappointed not to see any real new development from version 6 to 7 even though the upgrade price was $52 (incl the $7 insurrance and VAT). Babylon is fine by itself, but it's biggest advantage is the possible use of add-on dictionaries - I have quite a number. Some of them were expensive, but most were free. Together they allow Babylon to answer almost any question faster than any other I have tried.

Despite of all this, I believe my next program in the field of stand-alone dictionaries will be the PRO version of WordWeb, though it can easily / will be much more expensive than Babylon.

So, now that it has been half a year since my purchase of Babylon 7 I am merely a modest fan.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use Farr :)

Create your alias that searches dictionary. Then create a special hotkey version of Farr(hotkeys tab in advanced config). Put t "name of your alias" %cliptext% into ext edit box. This will activate farr and put selected text into farr.

There are already preset dictionary aliases in Farr. In this case you can just put "lookup %cliptext%" in hotkeys window if you do not want to go through alias creating hassle.

I know this is online method but free and efficient.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:12 AM by kartal »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was a happy 1-Click Answer (Alt+RightClick) user for several years before I switched to Babylon. It also comes as an add-on merely for Firefox. Free, and also for Linux.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My problem with babylon is that the OCR doesn't work well
When I click on a word, it often gets the surrounding words, or symbols and the translation obviously fails.

Is webpro able to translate to languages other than english?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It is my (poor) understanding that WordWeb itself is English > English only - I want it for the (expensive) crossword compiling extra parts which supports several languages. For translating several languages Babylon is still among the best, I think. Your comment on the OCR has never been an item for me - yes, it will mark the "s and such, but the translation itself is okay. Maybe you tried an older version? The present is #7.

WordWeb is available as a powerful Pro version and a cut down free version. The free version is used by millions of people from all over the world, many of whom may not be able to afford a commercial dictionary. WordWeb Pro was originally just an add on for Crossword Compiler - the world's best puzzle maker since 1993. However it has since grown in a strong stand-alone product, regularly updated with new words and senses.

The WordWeb database is based on Princeton's WordNet project, however there are many thousands of corrections and additions to this base. The WordWeb database is also internationalized, and has information about pronunciations, derived forms, and numerous other features.

The WordWeb data is also available as an online dictionary, and as a set of tools for developers.

http://www.crossword-compiler.com/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:59 AM by Curt »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really like ultralingua, it's really fast and efficient.
But it doesn't have pronunciation... unless I'm wrong. Does it?

And it does conjugation... nice.
I don't think babylon does that.

There's another program called gramatica by the same company. It does grammar. I wonder how good it is compared to say word grammar checking. anyone?