topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommendations for project/schedule management software (besides MS Project)?  (Read 16142 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are there any other good programs for making schedules for projects besides MS Project?  We use MS Project at work, but I don't really like it that much due to a variety of reasons, and was wondering if there was anything better (free or commercial).  Scheduling is the important feature here, I'm not as concerned with making to-do lists or other project management issues besides scheduling.

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Funny, I have just been evaluting for work too. Hansoft.se is the only solution I found which looks good but it's darn expensive. The better ones are always hosted, I'm looking for intranet solution.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've done some light research on this about a year ago and the ones that I remember are:

http://www.openworkbench.org - OpenWorkbench is open source software formerly called Niku and now sponsored by Computer Associates

http://www.ganttproject.org/ - Another open source software which focuses on Gantt charts and scheduling

Other alternatives are listed in the wikepedia entry -
http://en.wikipedia...._management_software
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:46 AM by patthecat »

MarkPhillips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We make a really good project management software that you can host internally, Vertabase Pro http://www.vertabase.com (and its very well priced -at least in my opinion  :) ).  A free trial is available on the website. If you have any questions on it, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've looked at some of the "Web 2.0" project management solutions, especially Basecamp: http://www.basecamphq.com. Great little app, but a bit light for real project management IMHO.

One of our departments here also uses dotProject. It's web-based and we host it internally, but I HATED using it. Klunky, hard to use, more confusing than MS Project though I wouldn't have thought it possible. The IT guys seem to like it though.

Zoho also has a project management component of their suite, but I haven't really tried it yet. Free (for now) for one project, >1 starts @ $5.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Probably not quite what Superboyac had in mind, but does anyone know of free project management s/ware for construction i.e. building a house?
AccuPlan looks OK, but not free. I had a go at Open Work Bench - found it too hard to learn OOTB and its forum is clogged with spam.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To add to the project management software list:

OpenProj - free, open-source desktop project management software for MS Windows, Linux, Unix, or Mac.
Capable of opening MS Project files.  Similar features as MS Project.
http://www.openproj.org/openproj

GanttPV - open-source project scheduling software for MS Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Primarily for gannt chart type resource scheduling and tracking. Not as full featured as OpenProj and seems simple to use.
http://www.pureviolet.net/ganttpv/

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow! cool stuff!

And what about L
FastTrack. Looks impressive.

There are other smaller ones like FusionDesk or Achieve Planner (more for personnal use and life projects/goals...)
Or huge guys like Primavera... I believe that primavera is pretty much considered likE THE project planning application.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:28 PM by Armando »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Anyone know an open source .NET one?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

csiemens

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Project Insight at www.projectinsight.net is reasonably priced with monthly, software-as-a-service pricing, and resource allocation is one of its real strengths. A lot of the PMs I talk to say it's got all the heavy-duty management features they need while still being easy enough for "civilian" team members to use.

MikeMcLoughlin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

This is not really a project management application as such but I use Axosoft OnTime for managing my software development. I find it ideal for my needs and there is a free single-user license available (which is what I have).

http://www.axosoft.com

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:32 PM by PhilB66 »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Phil, Thanks.
Your last link doesn't work here.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What I would like is a project management application that does work for multiple projects in parallel - many of them can be used to have multiple projects, but somehow not connected. I want to know what time creep in project A might imply for project B, so I can make a forceful argouument against said creep. Also if A has some delays, perhaps something can be moved up from C that could be done now with the people waiting on A.

I have used many many tools but short of treating everything like a big permanent project with the real projects as subprojects (something which always comes with compromises, eg you lose a lot on budgeting, time tracking etc.)...

I know it is hard enough to do a decent project management tool - but i dont know in what world people are only on one project at a time - in my world we typically had 3-4 in build, 3-4 in planning, plus some infrastructure/support tools projects.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Phil, Thanks.
Your last link doesn't work here.

Link removed. There are a few discussions about project management software here on DC but I could not find the one I was linking to.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a very useful site to find the Project Management program that best suits you:

In fact, it's not limited to Project Management, you can find software for a lot of different areas/functions:

I'll have what she's having

greatfargo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I used Primavera and MS Project.  However, I would recommend Asta Power Project.  It is comparable to Primavera in functionality and to MS Project in easiness.  It is the standard PM software in UK and other countries all over the world.  It is now available in the US with support.  You can visit their web site to see comparison between Asta Power Project and MS Project & Primavera.  Moreover, it is much cheaper than Primavera.  They offer as well a free trial for 30 days to test the software.

It has multiple editions; single user, network (allows concurrent users), and enterprise.  Asta Power Project can customize the enterprise edition for your company.  They have a whole team for enterprise support. (www.astadev.com)

vklimko

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There is another great tool that has been around on the market for a while called Genius Project for Web, their site looks great also

http://www.geniusins...nius_project_for_web