topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 348001 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online/CompuTech (my) programs
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2008, 06:02 PM »
EDIT: Thanks tomos! :)

SnapSuite 2008 Visual Basic Edition Revision 2 Beta 2

(Download below)

Information:
This is the latest build of the VB .NET SnapSuite. It is an unscheduled build (aka "nightly build") but appears to be perfectly stable.

This is the same progress as the above post states, however it may contain additional bugfixes, features or developer-related GUI items.

This build is NOT intended for normal usage! It is for evaluation and testing. Many GUI items do not work and the program should not be used in an environment with valuable data. This program has been tested on Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows XP Professional Edition (32 bit for both). Other operating systems may not be compatible.

There are no known bugs at this time (excluding GUI items that lack commands).

Download (This build is NOT intended for normal usage!):

EDIT: IF YOU DOWNLOADED THIS VERSION, PLEASE GET THE LATEST ONE BELOW
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:42 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Here is a small visual update for what will most likely be the final layout for SystemCare.

It has changed dramatically, but this should allow most users to still understand how the new interface works without much (if any) effort.

PLEASE let me know if you want to see something changed! It takes 30 seconds to open VB and edit a GUI item.

Screenshot URL:
http://img525.images...113200880148pql8.png

Note how the middle, long buttons ("Easy Maintenance Modes") are positioned under the programs that they control when clicked. :)

-Brandon

EDIT: FYI, this post was made in SmartBrowse :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:14 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ToDo list update
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2008, 11:04 PM »
Here is just a to-do list update for anyone that is curious. (I sat in math class again today, between group problems, making about half of these items. :P)

If anyone wants to see any additions or changes let me know :)

ToDo list for SnapSuite:

AutoType:
Find way to activate a window
Get all 10 AutoType keys working properly

FastNote:
Make FastNote be able to retain data in a variable
Save FastNote variable data to a file
Save FastNote data to a user-selected file
Be able to open files in FastNote
Be able to clear the text are in FastNote
Ask the user for confirmation before opening a new document in FastNote before saving
“ before clearing the text area before saving

KidDraw:
Make KidDraw functional drawing board
Add ability to clear KidDraw drawing board
Add ability to save contents of KidDraw drawing board to a jpg
Add ability to open image files in KidDraw for editing

MediaControl:
Add ability to play back media content (both audio and video)

SmartBrowse:
Add “Enter” key functionality for SmartBrowse address bar Go button

SystemCare:
Add ability to run selected SystemCare programs systematically via checkbox controls
Add functionality for all SystemCare buttons
Get command line options for Windows Defender
Put Task Manager launch code into SystemCare
Put Control Panel launch code into SystemCare
Add button to change settings for Disk Cleanup
Add advanced tab to SystemCare

Other:
Add functional, built in, automatic updater
Add Options tab to main GUI
Add FAQ link to Support Tab
Add FAQ to IncrediSims site
Announce latest updates on forum
Make on-the-fly window resize
Make downloader
Make installer
Make help file
Add screenshot area to website
Add video tutorial to YouTube
Use AHK to determine compatibility and to auto install missing programs
Find out the Program Files variable in VB 2008
Change all directories to support portable and other non standard usage
Add command line options to AHK programs to run specific commands

---

Just an FYI, anyone that helps me gets mentioned in the About box in SnapSuite for as long as I develop it (so if you helped on say, this version, and 2 years from now I make another major version, your DC name will still be there). I do need help often. ;)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #278 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Exciting news!

SnapSuite now has an installer/uninstaller.

Pros:
Functions the same as my dev version. All working features are available.

Cons:
Forced install in C:\Program Files\SnapSuite 2008 (possibly able to change in future)

This installer will let you test out the main functionality that has been unavailable due to my own fault of simply uploading the core EXE and none of its "helper components".

I have been testing and tweaking code files and the installer while I type up this post, and everything appears to check out fine. Installs fast, makes the desktop shortcut correctly, launches, and the uninstaller is fast.

If you want to give it a go, grab it below (hey, that rhymed ;D)

-Brandon

FYI: ALSO, I am in the process of revamping the SystemCare GUI. If you want the normal GUI back from screenshots past, click the "Advanced" subtab (I am assuming that is a word...?). The new GUI is geared more tward people whom wish to bug me constantly on MSN asking "how do I do that one thing again with that cleaning thingy???" - now I can slam down on Caps Lock and declare "Open SnapSuite. Click SystemCare's tab. Then CLICK THE BIG FREAKING BUTTON" ;D

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that the comment above is not about anyone here at DC. I just happen to collect many a friend when word gets around that you can fix PC problems. And since no one that I IM seems to RTFM for anything anymore (or even the little help text at the bottom of every tab...) I seem to get all the idiotic questions. Hence the above.

EDIT: PLEASE GET THE LATEST VERSION BELOW
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:42 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2008, 08:36 PM »
I have some VERY exciting news :)!

I was tinkering around with VB's interface (common for me) and stumbled upon this list of options (and it just so happened I wanted to change a couple of them anyways). So I start looking around editing options...lalalala. On the last option tab I find settings to publish SnapSuite (I knew you could do it, but didn't yet know how). So I started messing with that, and noticed an updater feature (and began smiling like a crazed man).

30 minutes later...

I am now including (successfully) everything into one easy-to-use, VB managed installer. It installs .NET 3.5 too (if you don't have it yet) automatically!

I am going to finalize everything and will report back soon.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2008, 11:22 PM »
OK, here we go. This is version 1.0, Beta 3.

Changes:

VB Managed installer and auto updater (YEA!!! :beerchug:)
Removed "Updates" tab
Added advanced tab to SystemCare
Added Antivirus and Antispyware tab to SystemCare
ALL SystemCare buttons now work
Added icons to AppLaunch
Added link in AppLaunch toolbar to email me program suggestions for AppLaunch
Added icons in AutoType
Added NON-FUNCTIONAL buttons in KidDraw toolbar
MediaControl now works 100%
MediaControl "Play" button is highlighted in XP and boxed in Vista
"Support" tab is now organized
Added FAQ tab to Support
Added Forum tab to Support
Added SnapSuite Website tab to Support
Added Roadmap/Status tab to Support
Added Brandon/Walt donate buttons to About toolbar
Added DonationCoder.com tab to About
Added WtfCody.com tab to About

Enough changes? :)

I really hope everyone likes this release. I am now over 50% done with the total program, and :feedback: never hurts ;)

-Brandon

THIS VERSION IS OUTDATED, GET THE LATEST ONE FROM http://WWW.INCREDISIMS.COM:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:53 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2008, 02:53 PM »
As a couple of you have probobally noticed, I have already made use of the updater system (fixing a bug with the cleaning mechanism). Unfortunately, I have found yet another bug with CCleaner's launch system (where it opens the CCleaner GUI instead of running a silent cleaning). I am going to test out this new fix and see what happens (if it works, you should see another update available within a short while). The new update is now available.

-Brandon

P.S.: FYI - if you don't know how to check for updates and install them, all you need to do is run SnapSuite, and you will be notified if a new version is available. If you choose to install the update, it will do so automatically.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Last night: A Story of Idiocy
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2008, 05:37 PM »
A story of idiocy (that is a word, right?)

If you have talked to me on AIM or MSN (or any other of my 5 thousand instant messaging accounts), you know that when I am working on a program that I get really P.O.ed really fast if something doesn't work the way I expect (or just doesn't work, for that matter).

To make a long story short (never mind that, after typing this I think that this ship has sailed), I was working a little on getting my Notepad clone (FastNote) working. The problem with me, is that I don't exactly pay attention to what I do. I will just screw with something until it works. After it works I will tweak and perfect it. And another problem: I have this extreme trouble with variables. Working with variables, making variables, spelling the word "variable"... ;D. I can't say why, it is just this weird problem.

Step 1:
So I am messing around, editing this stupid line of code and getting nothing but error messages. I am googling and copying and pasting and (for some reason) trying to get VB 6.0 code to work in VB 9.0... (obviously, to no avail). Nothing is working. I just end up screaming (literally) at the computer screen (multiple times).

Step 2:
I repeat this for about 2 hours...and then I realize my problem. And no, you won't believe how stupid it was. And no, it STILL did not fix my problem. But it got me farther than I was.

The problem: I didn't declare the freaking variable!!!

The new problem: I get an error saying that I cant put that declaration there (or some pointless reason). Because if I do at runtime the "variable may return a null value". But that was the problem- I WANTED a null value. The USER sets the value.

My logic: Now repeat steps 1 and 2. Maybe a few times, to make sure you get it wrong some more.

After several hours of confusion and yelling and IMing countless people for help (getting little done), I decided to take the code out. This is normal- SnapSuite has tons of code that is dormant, converted to comments for future repair (*cough* :P). But when I put the code up above the current lines, the error went away (bringing 3 new ones, but I knew what these meant). So I fixed those.

Now, I have this semi working, discombobulated...thing. And I keep getting errors. And I keep fixing them. And I end up with a whole new command...whatcha-mah-call-it. So get this (this is what the final version does):

When you click in the box [FastNote's edit box], the program turns on the variable. Then when you click save, it uses the variable. I don't know why this has to be this way, but it works and ... it works.

NOW, after 6 hours of working, yelling, and googling for stuff that doesn't help me, I have a semi-working Save function for FastNote.

<end-of-TV-show/foreshadowing voice>
Problem is, what about opening? :o
</end-of-TV-show/foreshadowing voice>
 ;D

-Brandon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45 PM »
This is why I don't like using languages that don't require declaring variables ahead of time explicitly.  Saves untold mystery errors.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #284 on: January 22, 2008, 06:43 PM »
A little update here...

head back over to the website for SnapSuite (http://www.incredisims.com/) and check it out. I am trying to get rid of the horribly ugly Microsoft Office Live look, and trying to make the website more user friendly and to-the-point. All pages have been reviewed and most of them have been updated.

Feedback? (IMO, I think it looks good. :))

-Brandon

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #285 on: January 22, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Looks crisp and clean - business like. My only complaint is that the menu bar is too wide, requiring one to scroll horizontally. Of course, I'm on an aging notebook with a letterbox monitor, which is likely the source of the problem.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #286 on: January 22, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Looks crisp and clean - business like. My only complaint is that the menu bar is too wide, requiring one to scroll horizontally. Of course, I'm on an aging notebook with a letterbox monitor, which is likely the source of the problem.

Yea, I am on 1280x1024 and it almost hits the right edge (2.5" away I assume). I have to do something about that. :read:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #287 on: January 22, 2008, 08:08 PM »

Yea, I am on 1280x1024 and it almost hits the right edge (2.5" away I assume). I have to do something about that. :read:

Fixed! It should look a lot better on lower resolutions now. :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Much better! Looks good  :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #289 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43 PM »
Much better! Looks good  :Thmbsup:

Thank you! :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48 PM »
New beta version!

New/updated features:

Now includes SystemCare Windows Update tab- no external browser needed!
New, 32x32 vista-style icons
Larger, mutl-line support for AutoType
Updated AutoType Send buttons
FastNote and KidDraw have construction icons overlaying the main portion of the tab
Larger SmartBrowse URL bar
SmartBrowse URL bar is now able to use AutoComplete for your URLs, AND does not require you to backspace over the "Enter URL here" text anymore (it auto clears).
SnapSuite website updated
SnapSuite roadmap updated

List of things to come in the next update:
Save and open functionality for FastNote
Tabbed browsing? hmm... :read:
Image viewer? :-\

This should prove to be a much better looking update- I still have my 16x16 Silk icon version, just in case someone wants me to revert.

-Brandon

(Download from http://www.incredisims.com/) OR update your current version via running it from Start > All Programs > CompuTech Computer Maintenance and Coding > SnapSuite 2008 Visual Basic Edition)

NOTE: Will be done uploading in approximately 10 minutes from now (time of this post)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #291 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58 PM »
FYI: There is a text label on the "Start" tab, with the text "Label1" on it. Just ignore this for now- it was an idea I had and (as you can see) I did not yet start on. My mistake. :-[

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07 AM »
One more post to finish off the day (my time, at least) here...

Short and sweet: I found a cool program to make flash slideshows, and I used my Photoshop 3D knowledge to take a screenshot of every SnapSuite tab (and sub-tab) and PS it to be 3D. I made a big slideshow out of it, and it looks good IMO, with the exception of the program name & logo at the end. But I don't really mind.

Download below - opinions more than welcome!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2008, 08:12 PM »
OK, here is another infomational tidbit for those of you that are interested...

I have been trying to find the source of an error that occurs when you try to run Trend Micro's Housecall web anti-virus/anti-spyware scanner via SystemCare. It turns out that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in Vista is blocking it on my machine. If this happens to you (you get an error when you try to run it) then disable DEP.

Also, a new updated beta will be coming *soon*. (As in a couple days, not a couple hours like usual)

This has a few additions, some graphical changes, and I am beginning to like the interface myself (enough to use it on a normal basis for multiple tasks).

My To-Do list is slowly decreasing in size, and I will keep everyone posted (excuse the pun :P) on what is happening.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2008, 12:56 AM »
I was going to post a small snippet of something I was concerned about a couple days ago, but I think I will pass on doing that.

Not much going on: still working, not much accomplished. Latest WindowsCare version uploaded to server; thats about it. If you havn't already updated WindowsCare, either:

A) Run Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal and go to the Options menu (top right) and select Update
B) Run uninstall Advanced WindowsCare and run SnapSuiteStart.exe (if you can find the folder SnapSuite installs to, that is! I don't even know where the heck it goes...)
C) Go to http://www.iobit.com and get the new version manually.

-Brandon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:00 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2008, 12:59 AM »
EDIT: SCRATCH OPTION B!

THE NEW INSTALLER ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL THE YAHOO! TOOLBAR. I have to edit the auto-install to adjust to this change. Please do not try to update SnapSuite VB Edition using option B OR update WindowsCare in the AHK version of SnapSuite normally - it will install the toolbar and may have problems during the install.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04 AM »
Paint, I say! Paint!!!

Well, I have followed a tutorial on making a paint application via MSDN, and I think I may be able to incorperate it to get it working as KidDraw. Don't count on saving or opening, though (at least not soon...). Not much else going on.

It is totally 100% code from the tutorial, but here is the image of it (and my lovely picture :P)

Enjoy!

-Brandon

EDIT: Current SnapSuite VB beta users should get an update notification- I had to refresh the files on the server. Update normally.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:14 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20 PM »
Well my luck never seizes to screw me over. I came home today and was talking to Walt on MSN and, while doing so, attempted to install KidDraw alpha on my PC (I hadn't yet tested the installer). When I ran the installer, it told me that I needed a prerequisite package to install (strange, but that was fine).

So I went back and built it in VB Express Edition. Then I get this streaming list of errors and warnings- weren't there before, debugged before with no problems, but now all of the sudden we have issues. And lots of them.

In an attempt to still get at a usable exe, I told VB to debug it and use the last good known code to do it. When I did this, the entire thing crashed down like mountain on a Subaru (no offense to Subaru owners :P).

Right now, the entire project is broken (as in, I can't get into it in VB to fix it because it crashes VB...) and I am going to have to do a recoding of it (a minor annoyance, but still).

If anyone has the knowledge and time to try and recover my now crippled project file, I have some DC credits and a lot of "thank yous" to give ;)

-Brandon

File:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Update to above post...

The same thing has happened to the SnapSuite VB files- I may have to reinstall VB to get it working again, but it is giving random unrelated errors for some reason. Will update when I can. :o :huh:

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Update:

For some reason, after VB Express went haywire, multiple (I lost count at eight) reinstalls/repairs/total uninstalls with Revo Uninstaller ALL failed.

I am now left with no functional C++ OR VB IDEs, and anything using either (I don't know if it is one or both) the .NET framework OR the C++ 2005 redistributable files fails to launch (Wordzilla's Pop-Up cody, Halo, Switcher for Windows Vista...)

I will probably have to ditch this PC until Vista SP1 and see if I can get it working then (and until then either use my old backup XP desktop or just do nothing and wait it out).

Sorry about this everyone, will keep you all informed though!

-Brandon

EDIT: Changed smileyface to "eight"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:04 PM by wreckedcarzz »