topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 345291 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SnapSuite 2008 is now officially complete
« Reply #450 on: June 03, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Finally! ;D
Yes, I can now call SnapSuite '08 finished - final, done, completed. Woo hoo!

There are 3 known bugs (they can be seen at the MazeCraze/SnapSuite website) - but I cannot locate a fix for any of the 3 - and they are not usually noticeable/you have to tinker to find them. So with normal usage you might encounter one, but the other two are abnormal.

I removed the "Help" buttons, rearranged some labels, and fixed up some item naming and a tiny bit of code, (just in case I need to pull some for a future project, ahem). I also fixed 2 bugs, and I hope that the outline on KidDraw makes it easier to see just where your drawing "pad" ends.

All in all, I think it came out alright - its too confusing and is too reliant on text. But it works, and I can't find any major issues - or anything that would prevent anything from functioning correctly.

I will post it up to DcUpdater when I get time, probably this week (I say that a lot :-[, but I will try to remember it and set it up to work this week). I would attach a screenshot, but most of it looks near identical to previous screenshots (and the last update), so it is pretty much pointless.

-Brandon

EDIT: You can visit the MC/SS website by clicking here (saves you time from typing it in): http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:09 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SnapSuite 2008 Final is now available!
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Alright, it is up! I did a quick check and there shouldn't be any DcUpdater issues like the last time, so everything should go smoothly.

This is the *final* '08 version, unless some major issue arises and I have to fix it. It is "3.0 Final".

If you have an older version WITH DcUpdater support, fire up DcUpdater and let it do its thing.

If you have an older version WITHOUT DcUpdater support OR you need a new copy, click the link here and install a fresh copy.
http://mazecraze.dci...m/SnapSuite 2008.exe

Assuming all goes well, onward to other small projects and SS 09! :)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help
« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Some cool news, not overly interesting but whatever :P

Using AutoHotkey, I was able to *FINALLY* figure out how the heck to detect if, and WHERE, a program is installed. This means that I will probobally end up taking a step backwards and using AHK again for the "Starter" sub-app in SS. But this time it will work as originally intended - look for a list of programs, if it finds it in the registry it will add a button to the GUI to launch it. Otherwise, one less button for you. :)

Currently it is detecting Firefox 2.0.0.13 and 3.0 RC 2. I am going to install Opera and a few other apps later and see if I can't get those working as well. 3 cheers for the Windows Registry (:o the registry is useful for once!). ;D

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2008, 09:51 AM »
You should be able to do this relatively easy in VB.NET.  I used to do this in Classic VB all the time - detect the installations of various applications.  Depending on the Application you are either looking for specific registry keys or attempting to instantiate an API object for the application and detecting if it gets created or fails (like for Office Apps).

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #454 on: June 09, 2008, 04:42 AM »
TBH I looked over the net and through my VB '05 book and it all looked confusing to me... I might make some dummy project and give it a go, however. :-\

In this case it seems I am able to scan out the keys for the programs individually, but I only have half a dozen right now.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #455 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Determine if an Office App is installed:
http://www.freevbcod...ShowCode.asp?ID=4423

Determine If An Application Is Installed:
http://www.devcity.n...ty20040426.htm#ni030

Should get you started.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #456 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Thanks for the links, printing both pages out now. :)

I went back to the website and redid it again, this time hopefully more professional-like and easier to understand. A couple links don't work (the old Maze Craze version, for example) so I will get those done later, but I updated some information and re-worded some things. All webpages are brand new, I was able to practice up in Dreamweaver due to my clan website I run (off-topic). Hopefully it is better than before. (I can't get the darn favicon to work though!)

http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/

-Brandon

EDIT: Also, I was browsing the net today about AERO, and I found this cool Microsoft guideline set for developers, so I printed it out - it gives several tips to help new programs "fit" into Windows Vista and keep the UI consistent. I did a bit of tweaking on SS 09 (and I broke something, I'll admit it :-[) and it looks and feels more normal in Vista. Kind of strange having the XP Control panel menu with Vista-like apps, but from what I've heard the XP Control Panel is favored over any other one, so... :-\
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:44 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New SnapSuite 2009 screenshot, changelog
« Reply #457 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21 AM »
Alright, some more-than-noticeable GUI changes, fixes, removal of things, adding of things, etc... definitely not your usual update like I planned.

Basically, I revamped the GUI to be more Vista-like, but it still looks good on XP. I also did the following major changes...

• Added statusbar at the bottom of the main window
  • Added clock to the statusbar, updating every 1000ms (1 second)
  • Added "Common Tasks" to the statusbar - instant systemcare options, and turn off computer
  • Removed the about box in the main window
  • Added the Windows XP type sidebar to the main window
  • Added buttons for misc tasks in the sidebar
  • Added an about window
  • Added a progress bar in the statusbar to show if the instant systemcare option is working or not
  • Disabled resizing on some windows
  • Disabled minimize/maximize buttons on some windows
  • Major bug check on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista SP1 - 2 major bugs found/fixed
  • SnapSuite icon added to title bar (16x16)
  • SnapSuite icon added to EXE (128x128) (there is an issue with this icon, not sure why)
  • and more stuff I can't remember right now...

I have a couple things I want to fix up before I post anything here at DC (except screenshots), such as the white background on the SmartBrowse Trace Cleaner button, and add icons to the statusbar buttons.

On the screenshot (below), items that are "greyed out" or "disabled" are not complete. I do this for private testing purposes so people don't break things (people don't tend to read the important warning you give them, even when it is all CAPS, bold, italic and underlined in 24 pt Arial ;D).

This is ideally the final GUI layout, minus the icons and enabling the buttons. I also want to make SmartBrowse clean up after itself on exit, so that is another thing on my to-do list.

Feedback/comments?

-Brandon

EDIT: Compare the below image to the previous one, here: https://www.donation...=8345.0;attach=29817
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:22 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SmartBrowse 2.1 announced
« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Alright, here is some news that Mac lovers will smile about (assuming you use Windows to run SnapSuite)

I somehow lost (yes, totally lost) the code for SmartBrowse, so I re-downloaded the code that it is based off of (IE7Clone) and went to work. The result? A way faster and cleaner (code-wise) program. I announce SmartBrowse 2.1!

It is as simple as it's predecessor, however there are now Copy and Paste buttons, along with a couple other improvements. In an attempt to keep the program as simple as possible, it includes:

• One toolbar - Back, Forward, Address, Print, etc...
  • A tab bar - all tabs can be closed (up to having 0 tabs open)
  • No right click menu (some will not like this because it means that the "Open In New Tab" option is no more, but that can help memory wise, and keeps the amount of tabs down that people will look at once and close 45 minutes later)
  • No history
  • No RSS
  • A basic popup blocker, via IE7Clone's backbone code (that I have not created myself)
  • No settings
  • Basic printing abilities, including preview
  • A simple status bar with the "lock" icon for security at-a-glance, along with a progress bar for page loads and other info
  • Dual-form (just the main window, and the individual browser windows, managed by the tabs) - no extra overhead
  • Simple interface, no extra "crap" to work around
  • Small file size
  • Credit given to the creators of the tab control and IE7Clone itself
  • ... some other stuff

I am not trying to make this look integrated with SnapSuite 2009, and you will notice the GUI is similar to that of SB 2.0. The idea of this update is code cleanup, feature removal (I only partly removed things with 2.0, and I apologize for that - I have learned to be able to trace things into various forms and follow code to designer (and vice versa) much better, making this a much-needed update for SmartBrowse.

At this time I am not complete with the GUI, so no screenshots. In a nutshell, it is the most basic tabbed browser you will find. Simplicity, no advanced, confusing options, keeping workflow priority and maintaining the task at hand.

NOTE 1: I can add things back in at a later time, if desired. Right now the goal is a simple, easy to use browser with minimal options to get in the way.
NOTE 2: SmartBrowse is, obviously, based off the Internet Explorer engine. Keep IE updated via Microsoft Update!!!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44 AM »
Alright, after a large bit of confusion and a bit of frustration, I have now somewhat figured out how to run multiple threads at the same time. Why is this important? To keep the GUI responsive and let another "worker" do what needs to be done. This became an issue when I attempted to put a ProgressBar to show how SystemCare was moving along into the GUI. It refused to move until everything was done (making the bar itself pointless). So I created another GUI window with an idea, lucking out on that - the window that shows the progress bar ALSO has to run the SystemCare commands - so I made a big 360.

The result: A semi-working, Vista-like window showing what SystemCare is up to. I hope to get it running 100%, but at this point, I am happy it works!

I added a screenshot of the Recycling window along with the SystemCare Status window, to this post, for comparison - I got the size exactly the same as the Vista window, and got the other controls as close as I could. IMO its not too bad.

-Brandon

(FYI: The new SystemCare layout actually is usable, and doesn't have 50 extra things in it - I actually think I got it "right" this time! - screenshot soon)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SmartBrowse 2.1 screenshot, final version set for tomorrow!
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Alright, after several hours of agrivation and breaking it about 6 times, I can *ALMOST* call SmartBrowse 2.1 "Final".

I took IE7Clone - an open source example browser - ripped out most of the additional stuff (RSS, Phishing Filter Notifications, Popup Notifications, and tons of other stuff) - I tried to make it a simple tabbed browser. The result can be seen in the screenshot below (ignore my taste in music, if you would please :P).

This image shows 3 things:
1) The new and easier to read "Web Security Level" notification icon. Hover over it for the encryption type.
2) The large, yet out-of-the-way Menu Bar. It keeps things big enough for high-res but small enough to keep the web in focus.
3) SmartBrowse can handle Java, JavaScript, Flash, and more; exactly like IE 6/7 does.

I just need to add one or two more things (cleanup on exit, for example) before I call it finished. But it shouldn't be much longer (I am up till 3AM+ now coding, so I have lots of time on my hands). Sit tight!

-Brandon

EDIT: IE7Clone was also used for 2.0. This version is 100% fresh, totally redone. I took out EVERY last thing that wasn't needed. It is easily 2-3x faster.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2008, 07:51 AM »
@ SmartBrowse 2.1
Can you explain why anyone would want to not have the right-click menu?
I use it all the time and cannot understand not having it should be a feature!
- but maybe that is one reason I am not attracted to Mac...
However, it is impressive if it really is much faster than the really fast predecessor!  :up:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2008, 01:03 AM »
I can add a right click menu back in if you want, it isn't any difficult task, but I simply figured that most of the options you would use are in the menu bar.

It is much faster, but I noticed that on some websites (I am not sure why, but it is only a select few) SB refuses to follow links. This was a problem with 2.0 as well, and I think it may be a flaw in the Visual Basic WebBrowser control. I cannot currently fix this, but if I do happen to find a fix I will release an update ASAP.

As of now I am planning to send it out to the server either later tonight/this morning (11PM here) or later tomorrow. I have had several friends try it and look at a few screenshots as I go along with it and the overall feel seems to be:

• It is "odd", but "easier" not having a right click menu
  • The lack of a home page option is "strange" (SB pulls your existing IE browser home page, and I could not find a code example to show me how to give an option for this)
  • Not having a double-click in the empty tab bar space make a new tab is "wierd" (Control+T makes a new tab, however there is no hotkey to close a tab).

But other than those 3 negative feelings everyone is complimenting how it runs and how simple it is to use. So I think it will be a much more pleasant (and speedy) experience than before.

Curt - if you want I can hold off and add a right click menu with options, but it will mostly be a re-creation of what is in the menu bar...

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2008, 03:10 AM »
Alright, jumping back to SnapSuite...

I have made the SystemCare component fully functional, and made the "Report a bug", "Donate!" and "Instant Uninstall" buttons working. The Instant Uninstall does just that - you don't like SnapSuite? One click- it is no more. The way uninstalling should be.

I am kind of being lazy about Starter, as I am kind of lazy :P so nothing on that yet, but I did change the boring colored Toolbars (the bars at the top with buttons) to be the Vista toolbar color (via mspaint :)).

I guess I will call this an alpha and see what people think - it is stable, but I have tried to not use any error "ignoring" techniques, because I want to get RID of them, not hide them. So please DO use the "Report a bug" button, and it will lead you right here to post the problem. :)

SmartBrowse 2.1 Beta IS included, so please also comment on what you like/don't like, what works/doesn't work... etc.

-Brandon

EDIT: Download link removed due to located bug. New version is being released later today. 13 downloads total for Alpha 1
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:05 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2008, 09:13 PM »
If you are getting an error when trying to start SmartBrowse, you can go to "C:\Program Files\SnapSuite 2009\SmartBrowse\SmartBrowse.exe" to run it - not sure why it isn't running... :huh: :( >:( :read:

EDIT: Same thing with MediaBurn, crap! That's why it's alpha though :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:21 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just an update... (SnapSuite, SystemCare Online)
« Reply #465 on: June 18, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Alright, I have found a couple other bugs that I need to fix, along with adding icons and whatnot. I will work on these this week and see if I can't have a new update out next week.

Along with that, I have uploaded a new version of the SystemCare Online app (now Alpha 2) - it now includes a disclaimer, renames the main window, and checks the radio button for the category you chose (helping make more sense of the options). Just get the new version as you would have the old, from here: http://mazecraze.dci...20Online%20Alpha.exe

I am also working on a new PlayMe (2.0) that does NOT include video support (I can add it back in if someone wants it), but it is a much smaller window (approx 200x100 I am guessing) with a kind of child-like interface (I created the buttons myself, it isn't as bad as you think), but it includes:
  • Song name
  • Play button
  • Pause button
  • Stop button
  • Volume slider
So it is a "full" media player, but it uses an "Open File..." dialog instead of grabbing known songs - this is because I had a couple people complain that they kept their music in places other than My Music (you unorganized people! :P) and PlayMe/MediaControl wouldn't list their music. Screenshot soon.

I also have switched back to using Core FTP Lite for the server (in case anyone cares, or uses FTP), because SmartFTP is now shareware for everyone (it used to be only for corporations and whatnot). Would anyone know of a better FTP client to use? Core FTP is a bit Windows-2000-ey.

Anyways, thats whats going on with my stuff.
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #466 on: June 18, 2008, 06:57 PM »
Alright, I found the problem that was preventing SnapSuite from launching any external EXEs (same problem as I had with 2008, I didn't setup the shortcuts properly - my fault entirely).

I have uploaded an updated version, and I have optimized and organized a lot of the code to make sure it is easier to maintain. It might give a slight boost in speed, but nothing you will notice (unfortunately).

Here is a list of things I am working on, and planned release dates - these aren't set in stone, but I would like to accomplish them.

• SnapSuite 2009 - Fall 2008 (if it takes that long, 1.0 might be NANY, but I doubt it)
  • SnapSystem 2010 - Summer/Fall 2009
  • KidOS (NEW!) - Summer/Fall 2009
  • PlayMe 2.0 (NEW!) - Summer 2008
  • SnapSystemOnline final (client version) - Summer 2008
  • SnapSystemOnline final (web version) - Summer 2009
  • SystemCare 2.0 (NEW!) - Fall/Winter 2008

and the finisher that may bring back some friendly competition...

• Maze Craze 3.0 - Winter 2008

(Maze Craze 3D is currently in planning and early development still, sorry)

Anyways, now that your all excited :P download away!
-Brandon

EDIT: Download link removed for version 1.1 - 76 downloads - WOW! Thanks guys!!! See page 20, post 2 for new version!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:38 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PlayMe gets playlists! (SnapSuite 2009)
« Reply #467 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43 AM »
Cool news - I was able to find some example code on the internet and make PlayMe playlist-compatible. Several friends have been bugging me for this option for quite a while now, and I am proud that I was able to accomplish it.

The aforementioned version of PlayMe, 2.0, will go into KidOS (more on this later). This version, 2.1, will go into SnapSuite 2009.

As of current, here is how it works:
  • Click PlayMe, PlayMe launches as usual
  • Drag your file(s) onto the Playlist area (white space to the right)
  • PlayMe makes the playlist, prepares the files, and begins playing the first file in the list
  • You can use the WMP controls to skip and repeat songs, as normal

NOTE: Currently (as of this writing) songs cannot be removed from the playlist unless you close and re-open PlayMe. I am trying to get this working (literally) right now. I also plan to have an OpenFileDialog ("Open..." window) to select songs from if you don't want to be bothered opening an Explorer (or whatever) window.

Screenshot below :) (feedback is welcome, as always)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #468 on: June 24, 2008, 10:37 PM »
As scannie pointed out to me...
That is just a WMP control and a listbox
True. (Minus the 2 buttons that are still not working >:(, not seen in that image) But what is the point? It is simple. Thats the idea.

I have tried a tabbed program with all the bells and whistles before. It sunk like a rock. So I am taking the simple, clean route this time - each part is individual, not combined. Don't blame me because it is the only media player that doesn't lag ;) (surprisingly, because it uses WMP - and WMP is slower than PlayMe)

(this post was not pointed at scancode, but it kind of amused me that it is *too* basic :))

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maze Craze 3 Announcement!
« Reply #469 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04 PM »
As you may have noticed from my updated forum sig, Maze Craze 3.0 is under alpha development. Alpha you wonder? Why alpha? Well, I have decided to re-do the entire game, all new levels, all new models, and (hopefully) improved gameplay and better performance. And this time someone might actually be capable of completing the game :P (I have still been unable to do so!)

Unfortunately, the game is still 2D, top down - however Walt is still working on 3D models so maybe... but not this release, that's for sure.

I have already done several new models in Photoshop (using my 1337 skillz! ;D) and I can change graphics easily now instead of asking Walt to do everything and sending it over to me at 2kbps. (I don't mind "kicking it old school", but that is too far)

Anyways, I am preparing a teaser version of the game and hope to have it ready in a day or two. Also planned for this release - 4 player "Madness Mode" (single PC still, but nonetheless!).

ETA: November/December 2008

-Brandon

NOTE: I may include Maze Craze 3 as part of SnapSuite 2009, or as a separate installable program - I am currently undecided :-\

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maze Craze 3 screenshots, notes
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2008, 04:22 AM »
Alright, hopefully I have some old players excited - I am enjoying re-making the game myself, however difficult it may be at times to get things just right.

Changes thus far:
  • There is a new control system, it isn't really explainable - you just move a bit faster and take off quicker than you would expect
  • No friction yet (part of the reason for the above)
  • Reduced gravity (Man-on-the-moon feel)
  • All new textures
  • Simple main menu
  • Quick loading time
  • New animations and effects!!!

Here are two preview screenshots, the first level will be slightly more complex (5-10 more wall blocks to go around) come next post. I have made all the objects/graphics myself in Photoshop CS3, so opinions are completely welcome! For those of you familiar with PS, I used drop shadows selectively on the Main Menu items but not in the gameplay itself, however I am a heavy Bevel/Emboss user. For those of you that just said "Huh?", that means that there are shadows on menu items, but the game items appear 3D. (I REALLY need to fix that ugly Finish flag... it is horrible...)

Also - I was able to count at least 7 places where you could get people to use the same PC to VS each other, dunno how 7 people would be comfort-wise but I figured I would point it out (if it can be done then I usually end up doing it just to say I did it :P).

I have a working model right now but it only has the one single player level seen below - I want to add a level or two more before I release little "building block" versions.

Enough talk, more screenshots!
-Brandon

EDIT: Oh yea, for all you cheaters on 2.4 - there is no more "Stop" option for the ball. Muhahahahahaha... :lol:
EDIT 2: Also, there is no health and a better anti-cheat system. Now, if you leave the room area, it places you back at the point you spawned at, but does NOT restart the whole level (so enemies and other items continue as-is).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:34 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maze Craze 3 info update, new screenshots
« Reply #471 on: June 29, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Alright, I have been working on Maze Craze for about half the day and have most of the events done, so it is mainly level-making time. The first levels are small, but the higher ones will be higher in resolution (but with a limited viewing area, so watch out for enemies and mines!!).

I have added several features onto the game based on things I personally think would go well, and would be nice if other games found some way to do the same.

In-game menubar:
The bar, not seen in the screenshots above, allows you to Load, Save, Restart (current level), or Close the game with a single click. Saves are confirmed with a message for peace of mind :Thmbsup:
(NOTE: There is a bug in the loading system - a fault with Game Maker, not Maze Craze - where if you load a saved game from a previous version, the background and other level options may change back to those of a previous version)

High scores:
After every level, you are presented with a prompt to enter your name into the highscore box (provided you are one of the top 10). It serves as a confirmation that you completed the level, and might make a little competition among people...

Explosion/other effects:
This one is the "OOooohh.." factor. Provided you are on a fast enough PC, you will see nice smooth effects when you detonate a minefield (or slam into one). I am also trying to make fireworks for every level completed (WIP).

All 3 are shown below, and I have uploaded a version to the Maze Craze server BUT it is outdated now and I am not going to provide a link (if you get the link via trial and error, enjoy - no looking through my FTP though mouser! ;D). I really want to show everyone how it runs but I want the first test upload to be a semi-long enjoyable game, not a "wow I beat that in like 60 seconds, *yawn*" kind of thing.

Anyways, here are the pics!
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SnapSuite 2009 gets an error cleaning
« Reply #472 on: June 30, 2008, 01:58 AM »
Speaking of SnapSuite 2009, I have not left that behind in the dust from that mine I slammed into... I mean, wha? ;D

I was attempting to update my personal "SuperStart" PC program starting controller (made in AHK), when I gave it a shot in VB '08. I have yet to complete it but I was fiddling around with the options and I forgot to enable something for SnapSuite 2009 that any programmer here should slap me for.

Spoiler
Option Strict: OFF

I went "Ahhh!" and flipped it on - errors everywhere! (I expected 5 or so, but got ~20) After fixing them, the program seems just a tad "zippier". Also, the Immediate Window no longer floods with items.

If you don't know what that means, basically the development tool forces me to correct issues that may make the program "think" and "do" things other than what it is supposed to "do". This keeps everything all simple for the program, the development program, the compiler ("code-to-EXE"), and myself.

Now go forth and yell at me! :P

(New SnapSuite update soon, I promise :))

EDIT: If you are attempting to use any of my older software and cannot download it, please visit the main website and download it from there (http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/). I am changing both the FTP folder tree setup and the website itself, as to help make the website easier to work with. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:17 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SnapSuite/MazeCraze development paused for a week (approx)
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2008, 05:08 AM »
Falling backwards, I have begun to lag behind on working on just about everything while making a dual boot Vista/Xubuntu system (for the third time, and I am sticking to it this time - I swear ;D)

I have 5 levels almost complete on Maze Craze, SnapSuite has some minor upgrades but I am having issues with some new additions so that has been put off. That, and some funky stuff on the FTP is keeping me from uploading anything (if I had anything to upload). So its a pause for a bit.

I will have something soon, though!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SnapSuite 2008 flagged as trojan!!!
« Reply #474 on: July 08, 2008, 12:03 AM »
SiteAdvisor flags SnapSuite 2008 as trojan! - RANT/LONG STORY AHEAD

Alright, I was sending a PM to mouser about the FTP acting up again- I closed down Core FTP and tried again to get Dreamweaver to upload the home page for the MazeCraze site - and it worked. I got mad because at this point I have a PM that I spent 15 minutes working on and it is pointless now. But oh well, that's life.

Continuing on, I was checking the home page to make sure the changes were there - and I noticed that SiteAdvisor was RED. "Red?!?! Why???" were the words going through my mind. As far as I know I am the only user of *.dcisv.com...

Apparantly, SnapSuite 2008 2.4 is a "trojan". OOOOhhhh!! THAT'S WHY! At this point I am steaming mad, because it completely insults me when someone calls me a virus writer or says something I make is spyware/etc. FYI: I did look into and attempt it a while back, but it is not satisfying at all, and is more of a pain than being productive and helping someone. All the code I made for those has been formatted over and destroyed, and no one has any copies of it.

About 45 seconds later, I posted a comment on the Dcisv.com SA page under the comments - and headed to send an email to the McAfee "team". I managed to make a somewhat logical email without too much anger; after about 5 re-writes, that is. Here it is:

Spoiler
At the domain http://dcisv.com/ there is a false positive trojan of "SnapSuite 2008 2.4 Stable (SnapSuite 2008.exe)"

I am the developer of this software and am both puzzled and somewhat insulted by this. My programs are clean of any "badware" and a large portion of that program is actually made to speed up computers and help remove such software. I would be happy to provide raw files (no installer) and/or source code (VB .NET 2008) if needed, in order to show that this is a clean file. My program installers are compiled with Inno Setup, and install only the program's required files, along with optional desktop and start menu shortcuts.

Please do note that the program includes several freeware third party programs to assist the application when performing maintenance operations on a computer. They are as folows: Steven Gould's "CleanUp!", IObit "Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal" (portable edition), "JkDefrag", "NTREGOPT". All of the aforementioned programs are clean as well and I do have permission from the developers themselves to distribute the programs. The program also includes a compiled AutoHotkey script, programmed by me. I can supply the source code for that as well if needed.

Also, the program can be found at http://mazecraze.dcmembers.com/ - these files are identical. I own the subdomains "mazecraze.dcisv.com" and "mazecraze.dcmembers.com" - they are hosted via FTP. I do not own the servers they are hosted on, but can supply the information as to whom owns them if that data is needed as well.

Thank you,
-Brandon Seal

(Yes, blame me because I said I "own" the subdomains - but I didn't feel like explaining it all, so saying that is just easier and less confusing. I do sincerely thank Mouser for giving me web space (EDIT: and helping me with it!))

I fully intend on continuing to keep in "contact" with McAfee until this is resolved, including making some angry phone calls. This stuff gets me completely flaming ... mad.

Here is the link to the report... http://www.siteadvis.../downloads/14327440/
(I will NEVER make any harmful software unless it is for PERSONAL use and it will NEVER be distributed to anyone)
If anyone would like raw files or source code to confirm this (VB .NET 2008) I am happy to send it to you. I felt obligated to make this post because I do not want anyone here at DC to doubt my programs, or more importantly, my word.

Thanks for reading my rant guys, I feel better now :)
-Brandon M. Seal
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:17 AM by wreckedcarzz »