topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your favorite Registry Viewer + Editor?  (Read 26682 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Your favorite Registry Viewer + Editor?
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:54 PM »
When I lost the old Win 2000 I also lost many programs, including a Registry Viewer and a Registry Editor. Sadly I am the type who can never remember a name, at least not the names of these apps, so I am in the market for a free or cheap new app to handle the registry keys. Back then I had both a viewer and an editor, but maybe The Best FREE handles both jobs? - or the cheapest of the best $$ versions? (the new PC took whatever little money I had)

Tell me what you think may be The Best FREE Registry Viewer and Editor
- or The Cheapest of The Best $$ versions - Whats your favorite, and Why??
icon_question.gif

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your favorite Registry Viewer + Editor?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:45 PM »
This is what I use and I agree with the assessment below.

"41 Best Free Registry Editor
I've used the full version of Resplendent Registry Editor for years and have never had any reason to look for an alternative. Recently a subscriber asked me what was the best free registry editor and that made me realize I've never looked at that particular product category. The first product I checked out was Registrar Lite [1], the free version of Resplendent Registry Editor and I'd have to say it's an impressive freebie. To start with, it works totally reliably - an essential feature for any registry editor. On top of that, the user interface is simple, the functionality excellent and, perhaps most importantly, it has a really fast search. I did, however, miss a "search and delete" option - that's unfortunately only available on the full product. That said, it leaves Regedit for dead. If you know a better free registry editor, drop me an email. NOTE:  It looks like Resplendent have pulled the Lite download page from their site. You can still get it though from various download sites including MajorGeeks [2].

=>index

[1] http://www.resplendence.com/reglite  Freeware, All Windows versions, 2.0MB.
[2] http://www.majorgeek...com/download469.html"
http://www.techsuppo...ree_utilities.htm#41

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Patteo - I agree with you wholeheartedly. I love Resplendent Registry Manager and whilst the free Lite version is great i really think it is worth buying the full Pro version.

Not only is the search brilliantly fast but you can store bookmarks, compress your registry and do simple one click backups. It also has an excellent replace function. On top o that you can edit registries on other network machines (if you have permission) and also conveniently edit .REG files.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:20 AM »
+1 for Resplendence Registry Registrar! I bought the Pro version about six months ago and don't regret a penny of the purchase price.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:41 AM »
I've used RegCmd (free) to edit my registry for years now.

you'll find it here: http://aezay.dk/aezay/regcmd/index.html (Danish author ;) )

Very simple, but has bookmarks and the features I need. Resplendence Registry Registrar looks great, but personally I'd never spend that much on a registry editor.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 04:37 AM »
I've used RegCmd (free) to edit my registry for years now. you'll find it here: http://aezay.dk/aezay/regcmd/index.html

I am trying out both free apps - €45 for the Pro is just too much for me at the moment.
Thanks a lot for answering!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:40 AM by Curt »

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 05:03 AM »
If I were your wife you would not use 45 Euros on a Regsitry Editor  8)

http://www.pcmag.com...,1895,1766392,00.asp might be an alternative. I think there are a few others but main attraction is undo/history. Last I looked no freeware editors lets you undo changes, how I found this. You can get all their tools for 20$ btw. http://www.pcmag.com...,1895,1847182,00.asp order by date and you see they still throw out small programs.

Registry monitoring, defragging you can get elsewhere for free. Erunt can do backups http://www.larsheder...e.t-online.de/erunt/

Regworks Lite also has undo http://www.regwrks.com/ 15$

Registry Workshop http://www.torchsoft.../rw_information.html is more like the fat Resplendent Registry Manager - but may be more actively maintained. When last version of Resplendent came out they had not yet done the "Feature Comparison Chart" page between pro and lite - still not done! Be sure undo is not in lite though. Should be checked out before paying up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:07 AM by dk70 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 05:08 AM »
I've used RegCmd (free) to edit my registry for years now. you'll find it here: http://aezay.dk/aezay/regcmd/index.html (Danish author ;) ) Very simple, but has bookmarks and the features I need.

General Information:

- Use this application as an alternative for the registry editor that comes with windows (REGEDIT.EXE).

- Registry Commander can do what all other registry editors can't such as cut/copy/paste, advanced search, change value type (string => binary), bookmark of keys and values, support of other types than just strings, dword and binary values.

- A thing I never understood is why no registration database editors showed the size of the value data, this is properly one of the things that made me create this application!

Features in Registry Commander v1.04:

- Registry Commander uses some standard shortcuts defined from back in the DOS days in applications such as Norton Commander.

- A column always displays the size of a values data.

- Supports all 12 data types in the registry, defined in the "winnt.h" header file. Most other registry editors only handles Strings, Binary, DWord & Expanded Strings sometimes even MultiString, that's only 5.

- Copy or Rename/Move entire keys and values from one key to another.

- A history list has been added to quickly jump from current key to a previously key.

- Cut or Copy keys and values from one key and paste them into another, using the clipboard.

- With the reg:// protocol, you can create links to a specific key in the registry, it works the same way as http:// does.

- Able to change a value's data type. E.g. you can change a string into a binary value without changing the contents of the data.

- Ability to interpret one value for another, without modifying the data. This would allow you to view a string saved as a binary value.

- Search part of or the entire registry database, not only can you search by a keyword, but you can also search by size or data type.

- Registry Commander allows you to bookmark keys or values so you can access them more quickly.
-Author of Registry Commander

Considering its an early version and hasn't been updated since Christmas 2003 - and is FREE - this seems to be a fine app!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 05:18 AM »
If I were your wife you would not use 45 Euros on a Regsitry Editor  8)
Should be checked out before paying up.

My wife?! Ehh, yeah, right; we both are living in the "liberated" Denmark, I know,  :-[
I'm not too sure secular liberation is all that liberating...

- but I will check out your links. Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:26 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 05:56 AM »
Erunt can do backups http://www.larsheder...e.t-online.de/erunt/

Yes, Erunt can do backups, but have you ever tried to install a backup from Erunt?
- I am not sure how important these words from the readme might be:
Technical information:
ERUNT saves only registry files which are in use by the system. It obtains information about these files from registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist. Registry hives not listed there, for example those of other users of the computer, cannot be saved by ERUNT.)
?

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Dont think that is a limitation really and yes it does work. Convenient, especially for those with disabled System Restore and no other backup. If I did lots of of registry editing I would want a real undo feature though, Erunt dont replace that. Can easily replace backup/restore feature in Resplendent Registry Editor http://www.resplende...trar_features_backup in case you thought that added value to purchase.

I once had to restore registry files through Windows Recovery Console ("Restoring the registry with ERDNT - Emergency Scenario II" in readme) Would have been more successful had I used Erunt with Autoback.exe as startup program.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Would have been more successful had I used Erunt with Autoback.exe as startup program.

I have ERUNT AutoBackup in Start. Now I need someone to hopefully repair the old Win 2000 station so I can use that one for external backups - I imagine.

tymrwt33

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 08:50 PM »
RegEditX - simple and trouble free. Good search function. Free.

CobbleHillGuy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • a/k/a "Hopeless Churl"
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:34 PM »
Yes, Registrar Lite's download page has been pulled, but only because it's been replaced by Registrar Registry Manager, which has a free Lite Edition. Here's the URL: http://www.resplendence.com/registrar.

I've used the full version of Resplendent Registry Editor for years and have never had any reason to look for an alternative. Recently a subscriber asked me what was the best free registry editor and that made me realize I've never looked at that particular product category. The first product I checked out was Registrar Lite [1], the free version of Resplendent Registry Editor and I'd have to say it's an impressive freebie. To start with, it works totally reliably - an essential feature for any registry editor. On top of that, the user interface is simple, the functionality excellent and, perhaps most importantly, it has a really fast search. I did, however, miss a "search and delete" option - that's unfortunately only available on the full product. That said, it leaves Regedit for dead. If you know a better free registry editor, drop me an email. NOTE:  It looks like Resplendent have pulled the Lite download page from their site. You can still get it though from various download sites including MajorGeeks [2].

=>index

[2] http://www.majorgeek...com/download469.html"
http://www.techsuppo...ree_utilities.htm#41
Cobble Hill Guy, the "Hopeless Churl"

djkarmad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 01:25 AM »
Yes, Erunt can do backups, but have you ever tried to install a backup from Erunt?
- I am not sure how important these words from the readme might be:
Technical information:
ERUNT saves only registry files which are in use by the system. It obtains information about these files from registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist. Registry hives not listed there, for example those of other users of the computer, cannot be saved by ERUNT.)
?

Actually ERUNT allows simple restoration from normal mode and Safe Modes through the "ERDNT.EXE" that is included in every Backup folder made by ERUNT. Simply run the specific ERDNT.EXE in that folder and presto.

You can also (amazingly) restore from lowly Recovery Console using the BATCH command. ERDNT automatically creates a ERDNT.CON file which is actually a batch file executing the restoration.
Run BATCH ERDNT.CON from within the ERDNT folder you want to restore and you're off and running.

I install ERUNT on every person's PC I work on. I do make a change to the AUTOBACK Startup group entry:
Add  /days:7 which will limit the total backups number to 7. Mom doesn't need 31 backups of her registry files.  8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I've rediscovered NirSoft (Nir Sofer Software),
and their RegScanner and so many other small, but fine and free programs.

Description:

RegScanner is a small utility that allows you to scan the Registry, find the desired Registry values that match to the specified search criteria, and display them in one list. After finding the Registry values, you can easily jump to the right value in RegEdit, simply by double-clicking the desired Registry item. You can also export the found Registry values into a .reg file that can be used in RegEdit.

Advantages over RegEdit find of Windows:

RegScanner utility display the entire search result at once, so you don't have to press F3 in order to find the next value.

In addition to the standard string search (Like in RegEdit), RegScanner can also find Registry values by data length, value type (REG_SZ, REG_DWORD, and so on), and by modified date of the key.

RegScanner can find a unicode string located inside a binary value.

RegScanner allows you to make a case sensitive search.

While scanning the Registry, RegScanner display the current scanned Registry key, as opposed to RegEdit, that simply display a boring "Searching the registry" dialog-box.

Using RegScanner:
RegScanner is a standalone executable, and it doesn't require any installation process or additional DLLs. In order to start using it, just run the executbale file - regscanner.exe
After running RegScanner, you should select the desired scan/search options.
There are 2 main scan modes:

Load all keys and values starting from the base key:
If you select this option, all values under the specified key and its subkeys will be loaded. For example, You can view all Internet Explorer settings of the current user, by loading all values under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

Load only values match to the following find criteria:
If you select this option, only values that match to the specified find string will be loaded.

- In addition to the above options, you can also filter the scanned Registry values by key modified date, by value data length, or by value type.

Searching DWORD/Binary values:
Starting from version 1.40, you can search DWORD/Binary values. In order to specify a DWORD value to search, you can type (In the Find string text-box) a decimal value (for example: 255) or an hexadecimal value (for example: 0xff).
In order to specify a binary value that you want to search, type (In the Find string text-box) a sequence of hexadecimal bytes, with or without spaces between them.
For example:
013fc7a127cc4a
01 3f c7 a1 27 cc 4a

Searching the Registry in a remote computer:
Starting from version 1.40, you can search the Registry in a remote computer on your network. In order to do that, you should login to the remote computer with admin user. Also, be aware that searching the Registry in a remote computer might be quite slow.

Notice about transition effects:
If you want that RegEdit will be opened as fast as possible with the right Registry value, you should disable the 'transition effects' on your system. (On Windows 2000, go to the 'Display Properties' window, select the 'Effects' tab, and uncheck the 'Use transition effects...' option.

Versions History
New to version 1.40 (21/09/2006):

New search option: Registry item contains the specified DWORD value.
New search option: Registry item contains the specfied binary value
New option: Scan a remote computer.
New option: Copy the selected key to the clipbard (Ctrl+K).
As opposed to previous versions that only scanned the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys, now you can also choose to search under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_USERS, and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG.
regscanner.gifYour favorite Registry Viewer + Editor?
Its not advanced, but might be sufficient for most.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:13 AM by Curt »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Many of the NirSoft utilities have been essential for several years for me. Excellent software!

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Maybe Registry Explorer is worth a mention.  http://www.regxplor.com/

I like the fact that I can just copy a registry key and paste it into Windows Explorer.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it defaults to the Windows Explorer view.  In my case this is the thumbnails view which makes multiple edits a pain.

cdblu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 06:00 AM »
registry workshop..worth trying..not freeware though..i've been using it for few months now..among notable features it has..undo history, registry backup and restore, export values or keys or both, command line support, bookmarks, favourite, compare registry, multiple local registry window, edit registry file etc.

screenshot here: _http://www.torchsoft.com/en/rw_screenshot.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:02 AM by cdblu »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:56 AM »
registry workshop..worth trying..not freeware though

screenshots here: http://www.torchsoft...n/rw_screenshot.html

- yes, this $30 Registry Workshop seems worth trying  :up:

Key Features:

Multiple undo and redo. The undo history can be saved to disk and reloaded at startup. screen shot

Search and replace registry keys, values and data with super fast search algorithm. On a typical PC, you can search the entire registry in about ten seconds! screen shot

Compare registry between computers and/or .REG files with super fast speed.

Connect mobile device (Pocket PC, SmartPhone, etc.) registry via ActiveSync.

Cut, copy and paste registry keys and values.

Drag and drop to move or copy registry keys and values.

Edit .REG files and .POL files in the same way as editing system registry.

Backup and restore registry.

Defragment registry with preview.

Easy and flexible Favorites management.

Quickly browse registry with address bar, bookmarks and visitation history.

Support of linkage aware ability. You can use context menu to navigate to referenced key, open containing folder or open URL if the key or value contains a ProgID, ClassID, folder, file path or URL.

Jump to the same key in HKLM or HKCU by context menu.

Allow to open multiple local registry windows.

Allow to open secure registry keys when running under the administrator privilege.

Edit binary data in BYTE, WORD or DWORD format.

System Requirements
Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)
Windows 2000
Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Regcool and Vilma are both free alternatives:
http://home.tiscali..../zdata/regcool_e.htm
http://www.vsft.com/regexp/

RegCool and the developers other programs are always in beta ...  ;)

Regards,

Brahman
Regards, Brahman

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 04:39 PM »

andrew_x

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 04:44 AM »
Regedt32.exe + RegMon are sufficent to perform any registry-related tasks.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 06:33 AM »
RegEdt32.exe is not present in Windows XP (it just starts Regedit) and whilst regedit does the job it is very slow to use when you have a large registry and has poor search facilities and almost no frills (like bookmarks  or global replace etc.)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Has anybody done a comparison of these? Registrar Registry Manager and Registry Workshop seem like the best options by only looking at the marketing propaganda on their websites. I think I will try out those two.