topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Power Desk 6 Pro, half prize until Friday  (Read 27133 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Power Desk 6 Pro, half prize until Friday
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:29 AM »
[After-after edit: at this link you can have PowerDesk 6 Pro at only $10, so the rest of this post is really of no matter!]

[After-edit: I checked the rebate giving link after I first uploaded this post, and it was O.K., but eight hours later now its not giving rebate anymore. Sorry! Here is the valid link from the e-mail: https://shop.avanque...amp;prefcurrency=GBP  - and it gives rebate :) ]

---
I've received an offer by e-mail from VCOM to buy Power Desk 6 Pro at £15, normally £30, $40, within 48 hours. You might have heard about Power Desk before, I haven't, so I'm not sure if this is a good offer or if it doesn't matter.

Features:

6 Powerful Utilities;

File Viewer
Open the right file the first time without having to guess which file is which. Get improved file preview options to view the contents of a file in a preview pane or as a thumbnail image. This is particularly useful for browsing files from digital cameras, whole directories of images, or MP3 players where you can even view by artist name, album title, or your own personal notations.

FTP
Access PowerDesk FTP in an easy-to-use, drag-and-drop interface that lets you view FTP sites as though they were ordinary folders.

Sync Manager
Compare and synchronise files - especially useful for those who work on files that are shared between two computers, but also for backup.

Size Manager™
Discover how hard drive space is being used. Efficiently manage storage space and identify the drive hogs.

Dialog Helper
Enhance File->Open and File->Save dialog boxes with: a list selection of previously opened files and folders; a file viewer pane that supports over 150 file formats; Dialog helper to resize the annoying fixed size dialogs

Archive Manager
Easily compress and expand files from over 30 popular compression formats. Look within many archives to see the entire list of files and selectively view the contents or extract selected files with a simple drag and drop operation.

File Finder
Forget where you saved that important file? No problem. With PowerDesk® Pro 6, you can quickly locate files through searches by almost any criteria with its powerful "search engine" type tool. Search by keyword, file type, size, or date range and see the "hits" displayed in a single-line reference. You can also search inside Zip files and archives, too!

Great File Management
After using PowerDesk for a few days, you'll be wondering how you lived without it! Windows Explorer can't do a fraction of what PowerDesk enables you to do! Here's just a few of the features of PowerDesk Pro:

Dual pane operation - Makes it so easy to drag and drop files between different folders and drives.

Layout Manager - Save complete layouts under single click icons or add these layout icons to your desktop, so PowerDesk starts up up exactly where you want it to!

Add Notes to Your Files! - With a right-click of the mouse, you can add notes to help organize your files. Displayed in a mouse-over window or details view, these notes can remind you of what's in a file without having to open it!

Customize Your File Folders with Color - Easily customize and prioritize your file folders with eight distinct colors.

File Info column - This feature prominently displays specific details about each file in the file pane viewer. MP3 files will show a song title and run time. Images will show the size and resolution. Word documents show the document title, etc.

MP3 Collection Management - Create and control playlist files for portable MP3 devices as well as multimedia applications, such as WinAmp or other MP3 devices. Use the randomize feature to ensure a complete play of the files in random order. Includes cool tools for MP3 users for playing previews of files, searching for files, as well as renaming and editing groups of files in a single action.

File Viewer - Want to open the right file the first time without having to guess and open multiple files? PowerDesk Pro 6 has improved file preview options, which allow users to view the contents of a file in a preview pane or as a thumbnail image. This is particularly useful for browsing files from digital cameras, whole directories of images, or MP3 players where you can even view by artist name, album title, or your own personal notations.

-VCOM

banner_0307.jpg

Normal prize verified to be £30 at Bluesquad

Do you know about this app and have a say on it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:58 PM by Curt »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Power Desk 6 Pro, half prize until Friday
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:01 AM »
I have version 5 I think, and the one thing where power desk pro excels is the built in file viewer.
I am used to windows commander yet when I am trying to organise/clean, i find the instant file viewer pane in power desk to speed things considerably - it also previews more formats (at least the pro version does) and you can quickly see inside pdf, office documents etc. without starting anything. I think it might use the engine from quickview or whatever that tool was called.

For example I had an attachment directory for poco mail which had thousands of files, from attached emails (text) to images to pdfs and all sorts of files. I managed to trawl through with powerdesk and delete most but keep the useful one, it would have taken forever had i had to open each file in an image viewer, text editor etc.

The other file management features are fine, although i didnt remember it does context menu extensions. It could be new or it could be that i already have stardock and wirekeys modifying this and powerdesk's changes were kind of unnoticed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:05 AM by iphigenie »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I have version 5 I think, ....
.... or it could be that i already have stardock

Are you running PowerDesk and Stardock at the same time??

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Are you running PowerDesk and Stardock at the same time??

Oh, now I might understand: PowerDesk will replace Explorer, but Stardock has more to do with the desktop, or how is it? I'm not familiar with any of these two apps.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:00 PM »
the powerdesk in question is mostly a fancy file manager

dcm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:04 PM »
I tried a registered Powerdesk Pro 6, and it crashed my XP installation.

No help from support yet...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:04 PM »
I tried a registered Powerdesk Pro 6, and it crashed my XP installation.

No help from support yet...

Ooops! Certainly not a good sign!
Since how long?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 05:59 PM »
The $9.95 price that I mentioned in an earlier thread is still valid here:

http://web.avanquest.../PowerDesk6_0307.htm

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 06:09 PM »

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Sorry bout that.  Try this one.

http://web.avanquest.../PowerDesk6_0307.htm

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Try this one http://web.avanquest.../PowerDesk6_0307.htm
Yes, that was fine, and I bought it - because of the prize...  :-[

What is it with my browser; I can't follow a re-direction like your's, but I'll have to cut off the first part of the link? Instead of http://www.avanquest...amp;prefcurrency=USD it must be https://shop.avanque...amp;prefcurrency=USD

Maybe its some plugin I have forgotten  :tellme:

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30 PM »
Linkification I would guess. Text Link http://piro.sakura.n...ul/_textlink.html.en dont have this problem because of the way it works. Less aggressive, does nothing to content unless you doubleclick. Not as thorough as Linkification but good enough.

Yeah Power Desk is nice for going through everything and cleaning up. I bought it because of convinience, not going to replace TC, but is better with some things and covers weak spots in TC.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Just a stupid question.

If you are already very happy using Directory Opus 8, would you derive any more joy using Power Desk 6 Pro.

I have found Directory Opus 8 to be an excellent File Manager, viewer etc with it extreme customisability, you can almost make it behave like Norton Commander or in fact almost any two pane file manager/viewer to ease a transition over.

I mean do you (I) really need another File Manager even if it's on offer for $1.99.

I think I need someone here to tell me how wrong I'm.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 12:48 AM »
Just a stupid question.

If you are already very happy using Directory Opus 8, would you derive any more joy using Power Desk 6 Pro.

I have found Directory Opus 8 to be an excellent File Manager, viewer etc with it extreme customisability, you can almost make it behave like Norton Commander or in fact almost any two pane file manager/viewer to ease a transition over.

I mean do you (I) really need another File Manager even if it's on offer for $1.99.

I think I need someone here to tell me how wrong I'm.

No. You're better off with DO and free utils as needed.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 01:25 AM »
Thanks Ken,

Just another thought about Dopus. One of the things that is so great about Dopus is the support community at http://resource.dopus.com/

You can get almost any questions (on Dopus) you ask and even those you did not ask (or did not even know how to ask) answered in a flash.

I mean it is really that friendly a community, almost as good as www.donationcoder.com  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Well... happy DOpus 9 user here (and before 9, 8 and before 8, 6) but just thought I'd drop a note to note ( :D) that the $9.95 offer is still alive and well. I'm a bit of a software-a-holic and a total file manager junkie, so this is STILL tempting. I'm walking away, though, walking away...

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 06:23 AM »
What discipline!!! Amazing!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Thanks, Jeff! Not so much discipline as the result of lessons hard learned - I keep buying licences for software that I don't need just because it's on sale and then wind up never using it (and with DOpus already installed, I *know* that I would never use - why would I need to?). One of those situations that exemplifies the expression: "I'm saving so much money I'm going broke"!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17 AM »
... exemplifies the expression: "I'm saving so much money I'm going broke"!

tell me.. 

Try this one http://web.avanquest.../PowerDesk6_0307.htm
Yes, that was fine, and I bought it - because of the prize... 

- but I still haven't found any use for this "Power"Desk.   :-[ 

... STILL tempting. I'm walking away, though, walking away...

Keep walking!   ;) 

[Edit: This was my post number 600. Guess I talk too much...]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:54 PM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 08:27 AM »
wow, Darwin.. now i know to whom to forward my wish list.. :-\

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 09:48 AM »
I know the feeling... I've been tempted to pick up PowerDesk for my work computer, but now that I can use DOpus from my USB drive, there is no reason to use anything else.

C

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 08:27 PM »
One of the use I like from Power Desk is the easy encrypting and decrypting of files using icons on the toolbar. It is a relatively simple explorer replacement to use and does not require hours of training.
JR
JR

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 09:45 AM »
... exemplifies the expression: "I'm saving so much money I'm going broke"!

tell me..

Sorry, Curt, hadn't noticed this request for clarification when it was posted. The expression means that one spends all of their money on items that are on sale! You know how it is when you go into a grocery store to buy milk and bread and you walk out with three bags of junk food because it was all on sale? Money that you didn't intend to spend, spent on items you didn't need in the first place. So, by jumping at all of the money saving offeres ("saving money") you wind up spending all of your money and thus break your bank ("go broke").

Hope that's clear...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:04 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Just FYI - this discount is still active. Verified (though didn't purchase! See posts above) today.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Just FYI - this discount is still active. Verified (though didn't purchase! See posts above) today.

Holy smokes, Batman! I just noticed the "File Finder" entry in my context menu and put it through its paces. Wow! It's PowerDesk Pro 6's search feature.

Hmmm