topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: February 2007 Discounts: Chameleon Startup + more (40%) and Notezilla (30%)  (Read 6583 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
February Giveaway and Discounts
Supporting Members, you've only got until February 14th to enter this month's Free Shareware Giveaway.  The Discounts run until February 28th.

This Month's Special Discounts and Giveaways:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:27 PM by mouser »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Supporting Members, you've only got until February 14th to enter this month's Free Shareware Giveaway.  The Discounts run until February 28th.

This Month's Special Discounts and Giveaways:

Great Mouser. Thank you for getting us the discounts on these fantastic programs!!!!

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Make sure you guys check out the thread on the very highly regarded free Stickes program:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7130.0

That's the thread where Notezilla was mentioned - seems like you should try both tools out and see which one suits you best.

Chameleon Startup Manager looks excellent but of course there are quite a few alternatives so check around.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chameleon Startup Manager (40% discount)
This app looks great, but does it really make the startup faster? Disabling services and apps is one thing, but I'd think that rearranging the startup order would at best give the illusion of a quicker startup, not actually speeding things up, maybe even causing the startup to be slower. has anyone tried this (or other similar apps) and found "scientific" evidence one way or the other?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TucknDar, I've tried apps that delay startup and the short answer to your question is no. However, where I find this functionality useful is when there are certain apps that take a long time to start and bottleneck my system startup. Often these are nice to have running in the background but are non-essential for getting down to work first thing in the morning. Delaying their startup by a couple of minutes means that you've got a fully functioning computer before they start, so you can get on with checking your e-mail while they load in the background. The only app I have (though no longer use much) that this feature was useful for is ActiveWords.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, Darwin. I'm not surprised by your answer, but it was quite helpful. Currently there aren't really any apps that causes me problems like that, so I'll save my $ for something else  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No worries, TucknDar, there are lots of free alternatives anyway, so if you need this functionality in the future, it won't cost you! WinPatrol 2007 (which is in beta but due to be released Feb. 12) is one of them - there is a Pro version as well, but this particular functionality is also part of the free version. There is also Startup Delayer, which has been discussed extensively, and generally favourably, on various threads in the donationcoder forums... To a name but two.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:05 AM by Darwin »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Thanks for announcing NoteZilla (Sticky Notes Program) discount - http://www.conceptworld.com/NoteZilla/

Regards,
Gautam Jain