topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: --> Results of the Accessibility Game Programming Contest Are Now Posted !!!  (Read 36723 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm thrilled to announce that at long last the results of the Accessibility Game Programming Contest are now Online!

A huge congratulations to everyone who participated - we got some really fun and creative entries, and it was great to be able to bring some light to the issue of accessible gaming.

I'll probably be tweaking the contest result page for a day or so to correct any mistakes and add a little info here or there - so feel free to message me about any changes you'd like to see in your entry.

-mouser
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 01:03 AM by mouser »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations to Hanan and the other winners! :Thmbsup:

Thanks Michelle, Mouser and the whole crew that made this possible! 

What a blast!  I really enjoyed the opportunity and I really learned something too!  I will definitely use this experience to consider "everyone" when I design in the future. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:36 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Thomas G

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool, It was so pleasant.
Special congratulation to Farmsteader and Hannan Finnerty of course but also for all the others winners.
Thank to all the donation coder team  :Thmbsup: for this great moment (and for the prices too  :-*)
I hope there will be another contest like this one soon.
Best regards,
Thomas Gaudy

scriptedfun

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • scriptedfun.com
    • Donate to Member
I'm now a proud owner of TGE and TGB indie licenses!!! And I'm so excited to receive my first issue of GD Mag. Thank you so much! I am sure that these will be very, very helpful to me in my dream to pursue game development as a career. You did a great job with optimizing the prize distribution, mouser.  :D

I am so grateful to DonationCoder, to the sponsors, and to the IGDA Game Accessibility SIG for all the time and effort that they have put into making this contest possible. You have provided us with a wonderful opportunity to participate in this (very, very fun) challenge, and I am sure that everyone is pleased with how everything turned out.  :Thmbsup:

Congratulations to all the winners! I hope that a lot of people will enjoy playing the games.  ;D
Chuck Arellano - Game Programming Video Tutorials for Beginners at scriptedfun.com

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations to all the winners!

I want to thank DonationCoder.com for organizing and hosting the contest. If it wasn't for this contest I probably would have never attempted such a project, especially in such a short period of time. I found the whole experience very rewarding.

I'd also like to thank Michelle Hinn and the IGDA's Game Accessibility SIG. I learned a great deal about accessible games during this contest. Designing an accessible game is both challenging and extremely rewarding.  Designing Asteroids of Orion to be an accessible game has probably made the game as a whole better than if designed without accessibility in mind. I will be taking Michelle up on the offer to take Asteroids of Orion, and any of my future projects, to a higher level with the help of IGDA's Game Accessibility SIG.

Thank you to the sponsors. I can attest that having such wonderful prizes was a large motivating factor in my participation. I am very pleased with my winnings and plan to make many exciting games with them in the future. The first of which is to be Asteroids of Orion 2!

And to the all the folks on DonationCoder.com forums and #DonationCoder on IRC, I want to thank you for your encouragement and feedback while I worked on the game. It made AoO a better game than it would have been without your contributions.

I also want to thank Garage Games for making Torque Game Builder available through the trial edition. I had never touched TGB before the contest and I had never worked on a 2D game so most of the concepts were foreign to me. However, TGB is so well made that I was able to go from zero to prize winning entry in only three weeks. I was also able to develop the game quickly due to the help of Torsion from Sickhead Games. :Thmbsup: The added benefits of developing in a IDE with debugging probably made me three or four times more productive that I would have been with TGB alone.

Asteroids of Orion benefited greatly from the excellent artwork of Charles Oines :beerchug: and fellow Donation Coder Hamradio. :greenclp:

And a great big thank you to James Sterrett. When I became aware of the game contest there was only three weeks to the deadline. I had no idea what to build, but knew I could build something if I had a game concept that I could use. I sent out an email to James and he came back with the whole concept of AoO in less than 24 hours. Without James' contribution AoO would have never been made.

Thank you all and I look forward to the next contest. [hint hint]

arawkins

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Awesome, thanks mouser, IGDA Accessibility SIG and all of the sponsors for giving us this great contest, it was a lot of fun :D

Also congratulations to Farmsteader and Hanan, and all of the other devs, it was a lot of fun playing all of your games and seeing where everyone went with it. Some truly impressive and inspirational stuff!

I only wish we could have some kind of party. Vegas? 8)

-Alan Rawkins

James Sterrett

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Woohoo! :beerchug:

Tinjaw and I had a lot of fun with the contest, and have plans to create more games, including further development of Asteroids of Orion.  In fact, more plans than we have time.    :P  But, our plans are materially assisted by the Torque CP license and the Dark Game SDK!   8)

Congrats to everyone else in the contest - I haven't played all of them yet, but I'm working on it!   There are some really clever ideas in them.  :eusa_dance: 

mslaybau

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Without being too redundant, I would also like to congratulate not just the winners but everyone who entered; there were a lot of interesting ideas in the entries.
Competitions such as this are great motvators, and I look forward to the next!

vrgrrl

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, VRGrrl is "Michelle Hinn" of the IGDA Game Accessibility SIG...and that's me! :)

I really, really want to say what an honor it was to see how much work clearly went into every entry and how excited I am to see game developers -- even if this was a first crack at creating a game -- take up the challenge that came with what some might at first say "limiting" rules. Some of the most creative designs can come from a rule such as "one switch" or "audio only" -- and I think that clearly we had some amazing examples of creativity from, hey, INSIDE the box. Add in a constraint and the human spirit can really rally to find solutions in new ways -- and this only results in games that open up game play options!

Did you know, for instance, that many experimental game play groups I've seen at GDC's over the past few years are still striving towards that audio only game and wouldn't it be amazing if such a game existed? Contests such as what DonationCoder has helped bring about helps demonstrate that it's not only possible (and amazing) but that it exists and has existed (some of our entrants have already had some experience in this area even!). And one-switch games? They are the new "one button games" that the mobile gaming industry is salivating over. Look up my last name at www.gdconf.com (hinn) and you can see the variety of game accessibility sessions I'll be running at the conference a few of the winners will be attending! I look forward to meeting you all there and to give you all the grand tour if you are first timers -- it's a big conference but it's also "home" for me. :) It's my favorite conference of the year!!

I'll soon be in email contact with all the winners to let them know more about the IGDA SIG and how to join in the community of developers creating games that are fun for all!

Again, congrats to all!!
Michelle (vrgrrl)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
By the way, even though Michelle doesn't post here too much, the entire concept of the contest was Michelle's and she arranged most of the prizes, so she's the one that made this whole thing possible.. Thanks Michelle  :Thmbsup:

ilikepandas

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D ;D Wow-Top Prize!!! :D :D I wasn't expecting that!

Thanks to everybody at Donation Coder for having a fun competition with lots of great entries!

pob

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice one Mouser.

Congrats to all who entered and especially to ilikepandas for a phenomenal effort in such a short time :Thmbsup:

vrgrrl

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This was such a fun and great contest that I'm excited to do this again next year -- this time mouser and I know what it takes to run a slightly alternative sort of contest and can better plan things out. So we appreciate everyone's patience with us!!

And an extra special welcome to the DC community to all our contest sponsors -- what generosity and support for accessible gaming. Enjoy all the winning games that your generous donations sponsored!!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any hints? I'd like to get a good head start on things.  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All prizes should be processed this week - i'll be in touch to get your (shipping) info, etc.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All prizes should be processed this week - i'll be in touch to get your (shipping) info, etc.
I was asking for hints on next year's gaming contest! The way I procrastinate, I probably should have started last week.  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the next contest will be: Cody's Tower Defense
A tower defense game staring cody :)