topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Remoting Software Questions  (Read 11546 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Remoting Software Questions
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:28 AM »
I haven't had a chance to look very far into this, but I just decided that I might like to set up a remote connection to my home computer so I can access it from elsewhere. Has anyone here used the Microsoft Remote Desktop software? Is it easy to get set up? Is there a quick guide somewhere on how to set it up properly?

Thanks!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remoting Software Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I've used microsoft's rdp. It's simple, and has the advantage of being accessible in any winxp pro.
I could set it up in my local lan, but couldn't set it up on the internet (i didn't bother to find out how to configure my router for that).
But there's a problem with that protocol: IIRC, as soon as the remote user logs on, the session is terminated for the local user.
Also, i think that vnc might be a better option, as it allows you to access your computer through a browser window, and i think it is faster.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:27 AM »
What do you mean about the session ending for the local user? Does that mean all files and programs opened would be closed and it would log the local user off?

If it messes with the keyboard and mouse controls or just goes to a "switch user account" screen, that shouldn't be a problem. Nobody uses my computer but me. But I do leave programs and files open when I leave that I might not want closed out.

I figured RD was like VNC except that it was included in every version of WinXP Pro. That way, like you said, any computer with Windows RD could access my computer.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:02 PM »
I'm not exactly sure if it logs out the local user, but i think not. I think it goes to the dialog you mentioned.
I see what you mean. Also, rdp doesn't need an extra program running ;)
If you only intend to use it on other computer with winxp pro, that might be the best option. But if you use other OSs, go for vnc. It also doesn't need anything installed on the client machine either.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48 PM »
What do you mean about the session ending for the local user? Does that mean all files and programs opened would be closed and it would log the local user off?

On WinXP only a single session is supported.  That session can be remote (via RDP) or local (on the console).  When an RDP connection is started, if there is a different user logged on to the desktop, the RDP client (the remote user) will be presented with a dialog that says the machine is in use and gives the option of logging that user off in order to log the new, remote user on.  If you're logging on remotely using the same credentials as the user logged on to the console, the desktop will be switched to remote use automatically.  While the session is remoted, the local, non-remote console (display, keyboard & mouse) is disabled except to allow ctrl-alt-del to regain control (which will disconnect the remote session).

It's similar to if the workstation is locked, and you press ctrl-alt-del - if you're not the user who locked the workstation, you can log on, but in the process the existing user is automatically logged off.  If you are the currently logged on user, you simply get the desktop.

I believe that in both cases you must have admin privileges to force the logoff of the current user.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:16 PM »
mwb1100: If your information is correct, then it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd want to log in as myself (only have one user account anyway--like I said, nobody uses it but me) so it should all be fine.

jgpaiva: VNC doesn't need to be installed on the PC I'm remoting to? How does it connect? Is there an install-free, USB version of VNC?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I've tried and been quite happy with
Remote Admin and Remotely Anywhere

Whatever you use - it's one of the real pleasures to be able to remotely connect to your home pc - definitely worth the trouble.

I keep trying to get someone on DC to do a big review of these tools, but the tasks has driven both of them insane (Josh + Ken)..  :tellme:

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:40 PM »
I keep trying to get someone on DC to do a big review of these tools, but the tasks has driven both of them insane (Josh + Ken)..

Is that what did it ?!
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 01:41 PM »
I keep trying to get someone on DC to do a big review of these tools, but the tasks has driven both of them insane (Josh + Ken)..  :tellme:

That actually explains a lot!

Hmm...  :-\  Has anyone tried to remote from a computer you're remoting to? Or trying to have the remote computer remote back to the one you're sitting at?  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:18 PM »
Has anyone tried to remote from a computer you're remoting to? Or trying to have the remote computer remote back to the one you're sitting at?

yes, general works ok for testing though hard to do anything.  Just remember you can't usually use your real ip, you have to use loopback 127.0.0.1 (at least that's my experience).

SexyLilDarkPaw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but there is many versions of VNC and assisting tools.

tightVNC, RealVNC, WinVNC, Ultr@VNC, and im sure there is more i don't know lol... 

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 03:30 PM »
It is a bit annoying only being able to have one logon user, that's probably the single biggest disadvantage of RDP to a workstation.

Also, you "take over the box" with RDP, sometimes it's nicer to keep the local user logged in, so s/he can see what you're doing. Iirc there's a commandline switch for this, but didn't mess much with it.

I haven't found anything else that matches RDP in speed and ease of use, though - it's king of the hill in this regard.

For RDP across the internet, I'd recommend running through a SSH/SSL tunnel or via VPN.
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 04:43 PM »
jgpaiva: VNC doesn't need to be installed on the PC I'm remoting to? How does it connect? Is there an install-free, USB version of VNC?
The VNC program i used had 2 working methods:
- the client would connect through his browser and would use the remote machine there.
- the client would connect through a small program (which i think doesn't require administration privileges)

Hmm...  :-\  Has anyone tried to remote from a computer you're remoting to? Or trying to have the remote computer remote back to the one you're sitting at?  :P
Yep, i did that. With VNC, it works ;)
But you get some strange results. It's quite funny :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:43 PM »
It is a bit annoying only being able to have one logon user, that's probably the single biggest disadvantage of RDP to a workstation.

Also, you "take over the box" with RDP, sometimes it's nicer to keep the local user logged in, so s/he can see what you're doing. Iirc there's a commandline switch for this, but didn't mess much with it.

I haven't found anything else that matches RDP in speed and ease of use, though - it's king of the hill in this regard.

For RDP across the internet, I'd recommend running through a SSH/SSL tunnel or via VPN.

yes, general works ok for testing though hard to do anything.  Just remember you can't usually use your real ip, you have to use loopback 127.0.0.1 (at least that's my experience).

I just heard about SSH/SSL and tunneling and loopbacks in the IRC channel very recently. I would like more information because the primary method of remoting would be across the intertubes. (It would be nice to be able to continue working on projects on my breaks at work or if I go out of town.)

Thanks!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Something I should have mentioned before: LogMeIn (https://secure.logme...p?page=products_free) is a site that enables remote access to PC's, and they have a free account option.

The remote control isn't particularly speedy (definitely slower than RDP), but it works well enough for me (occasional remote usage), and it's a very simple install.  The biggest advantage is that it takes care of dealing with PC's behind firewalls with no problem.  The PC that's going to be remote controlled makes periodic outgoing connections to the LogMeIn host, and when a remote client wants to connect, the LogMeIn host acts as a proxy between the 2 machines, so there's no need to configure the firewall to allow an incoming connection to the host PC (GoToMyPC works the same way).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:01 PM by mwb1100 »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 12:42 AM »
Iirc LogMeIn uses VNC?
- carpe noctem

cettolox

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 05:33 AM »
LogMeIn does not use vnc.

I'd like to add CROSSLOOP (free). It uses vnc for desktop sharing and takes care of firewall/proxy matters.

Both controlling and controlled install a single exe, then can act as client as well as server. Then one decides to "host" or "join", and the centralized crossloop server helps to make the connection.

Quite easy, even if I prefere LogMeIn.

/Stefano
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:28 PM by cettolox »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Hm, I still think I read somewhere that LogMeIn is either based on VNC or uses [an enhanced version of?] the VNC protocol, but can't find anything right now...
- carpe noctem