topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What was the name of big computer magazine (late 90's)?  (Read 4243 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What was the name of big computer magazine (late 90's)?
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I forgot the name of this magazine.  I had an issue of it once in 1997.  It was really big, I would say around an inch thick, and the paper was not the typical glossy magazine paper, but more like newspaper.  I don't even remember if it was free or not.  I found a copy when I moved into a studio in my sophomore year in college, and it was sort of what really got me into software and stuff.  There was a nice, long article in the one I had that was essentially a email client shootout.  It had a really nice section on Pegasus email, and because of it, I started using Pegasus and didn't stop until this year, when mouser and everyone here converted me to the Bat!.

Thanks!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What was the name of big computer magazine (late 90's)?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:10 AM »
There was Computer Shopper which was huge (physically). At it's peak it was up to about two inches thick. Another magazine that was very thick, but in the normal magazine format was Byte.
Maybe you were thinking of either of these.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:18 AM »
There was Computer Shopper which was huge (physically). At it's peak it was up to about two inches thick. Another magazine that was very thick, but in the normal magazine format was Byte.
Maybe you were thinking of either of these.
Ah!!  I think you got it, I'm pretty sure it was Computer Shopper.  Whatever happened to it?  I think I see it online, but I can't tell if it's the same magazine.  Also, if it the same, is the quality the same as before, or is the magazine significantly different (smaller size, etc.).  You never know what changes happen over the years, especially as the internet became more prevalent.

edit:  just found the answer to a lot of my questions in the user reviews on amazon's page:
http://www.amazon.co...hopper/dp/B00005N7PF
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:20 AM by superboyac »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:42 PM »
definitely was computer shopper.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:09 AM »
Bought my first computer from that mag in the 80s. Spent a month dreaming of all the possibilities, and then settled for what I could afford. Back before the days of activation and viruses only spread through infected floppy disks.