topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: AutoClose  (Read 8695 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: AutoClose
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:38 AM »
I have looked at SmartClose and read about CloseMany, and others, but I need another 'version', say “AutoClose”.

Every now and then 3 of my programs will hang and not close properly. Because of this I am using Microsoft UPHClean (“UPHClean is a service that once and for all gets rid of problems with user profile not unloading.”) – but it is far too gentle; these 3 programs will not always shut down, and will sometimes ask me annoying questions.

This is where I was thinking about DonationCoder  :-* . It seems to me that you must be the right experts to write a small program (“AutoClose”) to close certain programs when Close Computer is clicked. Not demanding any actions from me, but working as an integrated part of the normal Close Computer: “Close certain programs when Windows is closing computer, and if they will not close, then brute kill them.”

Please!?

The problem about lost changes is of course my problem. When I click Close, I want my PC to close! I want to be  able to click Close Computer, and walk away, knowing that of course it will close, as I told it to.

I use a StartUp program, so I will not expect AutoClose to handle any startup.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:50 AM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: AutoClose
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 12:01 PM »
if i understand what you are saying:
you have certain programs that when the computer tries to "shut down", they don't exit -
but instead they display that dialog that shows them just sitting there refusing to exit properly.

you want a tool that can kill these processes when your computer is trying to shut down, is that right?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Curt, I use a program called Quick Shutdown to shut down my computer.  It has options to "kill" and "force" applications to close so you don't have to deal with that dialog, and it works pretty well.  Another benefit is that you can set it to shut down just by double-clicking the icon in the tray, or you can right-click it and quickly select other options (restart, sleep, etc.).  It's a great program and now it's one of the first ones I install on new computers.
http://www.winutility.com/qsd/

polski8

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I personally use "enditall2." it will end any and/or all of the programs on your computer, all os's supported. It will force a program by program shutdown, and keep at it until the program is closed. Of course, you have to execute it first, then shut down. You also have the option of protecting certain programs from ever being shut down, and there are some which are protected by default so you won't crash your system. so if you have programs that you know will hang, protect the rest, execute enditall2, and the rest will stay up until you decide to close normally. Very useful if you have memory problems with too many trs's and you want to run graphics-heavy software or games. If you later decide to un-protect a program, just highlight it, hit protect again, and it becomes unprotected. Maybe someone knows of a shut-down utility which will automatically run enditall2 first, then shut down your computer if you don't like 2 extra clicks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:56 PM by polski8 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:55 AM »
useful if you have memory problems with too many trs's and you want to run graphics-heavy software or games
whats "trs's" ?  :tellme:  :)
Tom

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Maybe TSR? But it's not used anymore.
http://en.wikipedia....te_and_Stay_Resident

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:46 AM by wr975 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: AutoClose
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Curt, I use a program called Quick Shutdown to shut down my computer.  http://www.winutility.com/qsd/
I have now tested Quick ShutDown for some days. And because it works just fine, I never tested the other programs that were recommended - but thank you guys, for taking the time to address my case!

Quick ShutDown is O'Kay!

But I was disappointed by one little mis-feature: my Quick ShutDown version (294.400 byte) will only give me the choice between "on single click: this OR on double click: that", instead of the more obvious choice: "on single click: this AND on double click: that"

There is room for improvement, but the program is from 2003, so will there be any update?
Hmm...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:45 PM by Curt »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Glad you like it.  I love those little programs that make life a little easier.  That's true about extending the click options, that would be nice.  I personally use the double-click to shutdown, and just right-click the icon for anything else.  I also customize the tray icon so it's not that weird window with a moon icon...I replace it with the red XP shutdown icon:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Glad you like it.  I love those little programs that make life a little easier.  That's true about extending the click options, that would be nice.  I personally use the double-click to shutdown, and just right-click the icon for anything else.  I also customize the tray icon so it's not that weird window with a moon icon...I replace it with the red XP shutdown icon:
-yeah, I too replaced the icon.

You might want to test this updated piece of Swedish quality: Brutus 2006
"Lock, log off, restart, or shut down Windows with a single click!"
http://www.proffs.nu/brutus.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:34 PM by Curt »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Oh yeah, Brutus looks nice.  I might use it to create a shutdown or restart shortcut.  Cool find!