topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: orbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.  (Read 67942 times)

elva7025

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
orbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:11 AM »
Orbitwww.orbitdownloader.com) is an indispensable tool for download acceleration. It has a smart download logic accelerator that features intelligent dynamic file segmentation and safe P2P downloading technology to accelerate your downloads. It is a light-weight, powerful and easy-to-use application. Also it is well-known for its intuitive and user-friendly interface. Most of the features present in other download manager clients are present in orbit, including bandwidth prioritization, proxy servers, download categories, queue processor, enhanced virus protection on download completion. Additionally, Orbit can get flash games and audio/video from Web pages and grab videos from YouTube or other video sites. :up:

Feature laden, stable, user friendly, good looking. As a programmer, I really cannot mention how good Orbit is. I tried lots and lots of download managers and none other comes close. It used to be a very good example of commercial software; and now as a free product, I think it is priceless. :-*
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:45 PM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: orbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:49 AM »
take it easy, man. your last 3 posts have been about THAT download manager. ppl might mistake you as a spammer.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:57 AM »
i agree with lanux, in general if you join a forum and on your first day make 3 posts all about the same program it doesn't give a good impression.

however, it should be said that this post in this section is 100% appropriate and welcome  :up:

looks like an interesting new free program and definitely worth checking out.  just please dont make 10 posts per day about it!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:10 AM »
even as we speak, mouser. our friend has posted yet another post of the same thing.

btw, i post here as not to distract users from the other topics content.

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Note:
Softpedia guarantees that Orbit 1.0.0.2 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. But right after install Orbit is trying to connect to DuDu.com (chinese website) and scanning with Ad-Aware SE Professional the things are getting worst :

- Adware.DuDu * 3 objects
- Adware.DesktopMedia * 1 object

So try this at your own risk, can be just fp or not.
Source: http://www.neowin.ne...php?showtopic=511043
Saw this at neowin forums. So could the mod disable the download link or check it out?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:50 PM by AdIyhc »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Look at these homebrew user reviews GALORE! How hilarious!  ;D

http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/10-5-308,.html

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 01:11 PM »
LoL except for one honest poster at the end. :D

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 01:13 PM »
NOTE: there has been some discussion of the possibility this program might contain adware.. please read this entire thread.!

Ya, Orbit 1.0.0.1 right after install is trying to connect to DUDU.COM
:

Name: Adware.DuDu

TAC Rating: 4

Category: Adware

Description:
Adware.DuDu is a Chinese application that shows advertising while
browsing with Internet Explorer. It is part of a bundled install and
installs without user consent. There is also an English version of this
application.

from http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/afdf36354f7b03e0?dmode=source

the domain name registrar data can be viewed & verified here:

http://www.idotz.net/whois.cfm?domain=orbitdownloader&tld=com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 05:26 PM »
orbit explicitly says it is free and contains no spyware and adware.  i agree it very much pays to be on the lookout for scams but until someone can verify that this is not a false alarm i think people need to be very careful about spreading false rumours.

i have installed it in a virtual machine and see no sign of adware yet.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 05:48 PM »
ad-aware does not report anything..

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 07:02 PM »
ad-aware does not report anything..

Report from the latest Spyware Doctor:
(Windows Vista RC1, Orbit 1.0.0.2)

C:\Program Files\Orbit is where Orbit was installed, in this case.

orbit_malware.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 07:07 PM »
spybot finds nothing.

moby, your image above shows it is reporting english translation .ini files as malware??

another thing:
this program is reporting this as "xupiter" which it says ads an ad-based IE toolbar .  from testing orbit in a virtual pc i can say it does not do this.

if i had to guess i'd say these are false alarms based on the fact that the program puts a hook in internet explorer in order to catch and help with downloads.  that's just my initial guess though, im not confident enough to answer this for sure.  hopefully more people with more experience can report.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Well, according to the support team, Orbitnet.exe (which is the p2p backend used to help speed up downloads) connects to a bunch of servers so it can be ready to help with the speeding up of them. Some of the servers it uses are in a subnet range with causes some Anti-Spyware programs to think that its communicating with DUDU.com (even though it isn't doing anything harmful).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 07:39 PM »
see this:
http://research.sunb...r&threatid=14913

it reports on a different but similarly named program called "Orbit Explorer" which i guess is spyware.

it seems to be extremely likely that "Orbit Downloader" above is being FALSELY reported by this program as spyware because the spyware scanner is falsely thinking it is "Orbit Explorer" which just tells me not to trust spyware doctor..

to summarize: we still don't know for sure, but it's looking to me like Orbit Downloader is not spyware/malware..  the investigation continues in the irc channel, we will continue to report updates! stay tuned!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 07:40 PM »
zero - i dont really understand the answer about speeding up stuff.
i'd still love to have the orbit downloader people tell us:
1) why does it connect to their server
2) what information does it send+receive

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 08:11 PM »
moby, your image above shows it is reporting english translation .ini files as malware??

Well, if it determines that the main components of Orbit (exe, dll) are malicious, I'd certainly appreciate it for offering me options to remove its minion helper files.

this program is reporting this as "xupiter" which it says ads an ad-based IE toolbar .  from testing orbit in a virtual pc i can say it does not do this.

some of xupiter variants do not install toolbars, them pop up ads base on your urls and/or search terms

Please be noted that Orbit is a new and not-yet-popular program and as a result the majority of anti-spyware software vendors are not yet alerted, which does not give "all-clear".

hollowlife1987

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 05:12 PM »
So far the only thing I see in it that COULD be "something" is a string reference to http://www.sina.com

Upon further review of sina.com it appears that an anti-virus corporation acquired it.
http://www.virusbtn...._news/2004/01_13.xml

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11 PM »
I'd appreciate if the author, when possible/convenient, could stand out and help us clear this fog of mystery.  :)

- Anderson

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 04:09 AM »
spybot finds nothing.

I tested this in a VMware.

If you start Orbit Downloader "orbitnet.exe" gets started and establishes a connection to the Internet. Orbitnet.exe can be closed and Orbit Downloader still works. If you close Orbit Downloader, it won't close "orbitnet.exe" for you. It'll stay running.

Screenshot - 12.11.2006 , 11_06_17.jpgorbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.

I don't think it's malware, because it's very easy to spot. Just saw Zero3K's post... it should be some helper task to speed up downloads. But why won't it close with Orbit Downloader?

Anyway, Orbit Downloader looks a lot like FDM with less options. So if anyone needs a free download manager I'd recommend to use http://www.freedownloadmanager.org instead of this little clone.

Screenshots: http://www.freedownl....org/screenshots.htm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 04:16 AM by wr975 »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Hi,

I would like to add that Opera 9 incorporate a pretty decent downloader.  No need to have a special tools for this.  It evens accept bittorrent download !
.merle1.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 09:30 AM »
Hi,

I would like to add that Opera 9 incorporate a pretty decent downloader.  No need to have a special tools for this.  It evens accept bittorrent download !

Opera's BT support is far from the best thou, plus, what if I decide to move browsers? Can I take opera's d/l manager with me?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Just an update for everyone:

We take very seriously the responsibility for being a reliable source of information for people - and making sure that people never install a malicious program from some recommendation on our site.

We welcome authors to post about their programs (especially in this section), and we have endeavored to solve this issue definitively rather than leave it as an open and unresolved issue  :up:

Anyway, after several of us investigated the program, we then spoke to the author in the chat channel (thanks to Zero3k for arranging this), and I feel fairly confident saying that this is not a malicious or spyware program. I would feel comfortable installing this on my pc.  It's very unfortunate for them that they picked a name "orbit" that is shared with a known spyware program, which is causing some false alarms.

The authors seem to me like good people, and they are genuinely interested in writing a free downloading tool.

As I understand it are workong on a kind of peer-to-peer addon which might eventually connect to their server and show information from their site in their program, like news, or current files available on the network, etc.  This is not spyware or even adware, in my opinion.  It's the same thing itunes and many other programs do.  If you don't want this, don't use it, but it's nothing evil.  As long as they are not installing any toolbars or hijacking the browser or sending information about your surfing habits to the server, etc., then there is nothing malicious or harmfull about the program.

After some discussion, i do think the authors are going to make some changes to clarify things and make the connection stuff optional, which should help allieve some of the concerns people have had.  They've also concluded that they should not have been so crazy with all of the posts they've made recommending the program.. i think it's just a case of them still learning the unspoken rules of the internet.

I've invited the authors to stop by and post and say hello - so hopefully we will hear from them as well.

As always, it is a good idea to be cautious and be careful about installing software - but i want to also remind people not to jump to conclusions and state that programs are malware until you know for sure, because such rumours spread rapidly and can be hard to overcome if you are a developer and they are unfounded.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:23 PM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 10:36 PM »
i've been catching up with all the discussions in-between. i understand that in no way that the developers can be made responsible for something that is made on their behalf (referring to the 1st poster). even when i wrote my reply, it was to prevent the poster from getting on the wrong foot, thus creating a negative connotation of the software.

in any case, authors are welcome to post their views and explain the inner workings of their software.

orbitdev

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Hi all:

I'm the developer of Orbit downloader, Our official support email address is
< orbitdownloader  at  gmail.com >. Welcome for your suggestion.

1. orbitnet.exe is an optional program which uses the DHT p2p network to locate additional
  copies of the program you are downloading, much like torrent does,so that it can download
  pieces of the file from different servers and combine them, in order to speed up download.
  You can't disable it in current version, But in next version,you can disable it during
  installation & options menu.

2. We never install any toolbar/adware/spyware to system, We are contacting with the anti-virus vendor
to solve the mis-alarm problem.

3. Orbit Downloader have no relationship with adware "Orbit Explorer", Orbit name come from NASA's website,
 we think it is cool, and we do some google search to find it contain any adware/spyware before, but unfortunately, we doesn't find it.

4. Orbit Downloader was building from scratch, It have no relationship with FDM.

Thank for every advice. We want to do better, and don't be evil :(

Sincerely
Orbit Team

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 10:49 PM »
I'm glad you took the time to post and welcome to the site; thank you for clearing up the misunderstandings.  :Thmbsup: