topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Duplicated coding snack, does it count? (Mouser & community feedback)  (Read 5115 times)

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello dear Mouser/Jesse and DC community.

Here's a couple questions I'd like to ask for having your feedback at this time:

- Should a duplicate coding snack be welcome at the board? https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/Themes/dc2/images/dc/boardicons/rice_bowl48.png
Duplicated coding snack, does it count? (Mouser & community feedback)

- Is it eligible for a donation reward?

As I am about to engage on re-coding a few tools that may have been implemented (e.g. Need a specific type a renaming utility or script for nickodemos), this is currently relevant.

My take? The more options for the user the merrier (IMHO) It's duplicated work, but it's still work toward a fellow member :-*

I guess the donation credit eligibility is for Mouser to answer, but still it is rather interesting to learn what the community thinks about duplicated tools here at DC.

Thanks!
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Duplicated coding snack, does it count? (Mouser & community feedback)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 11:43 PM »
I agree. Anyone is free to code whatever they like! If you feel like taking on a coding snack request that has already been answered, then go for it! Similarly, anyone is free to donate to anyone else for whatever reason they like, including donations for "duplicate" coding snacks.

The only point of clarification I would add is that if someone has posted a bounty/reward when requesting a coding snack, I wouldn't expect to claim the reward from the original requester if someone else has already answered the call and provided a solution. At least not without their pre-approval.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 07:04 AM »
- Should a duplicate coding snack be welcome at the board?
- Is it eligible for a donation reward?

# yeah, it's often been the case here that there's been two, or more, solutions created for a coding request. I'd say that we the users find it great. So then it's your call if you want to go for it or not.

# Donations can be given to anyone on the site, anytime, :) so that question is moot.

Great to see you active here Victor :up:
Tom

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 02:38 PM »
Yeah, it is great for users to have multiple solutions to a certain request  :-*

Now, from the Administrative side of things, it may be preferable for programmers to do new/fresh & unique releases since a diversity of novel releases makes the community more appealing in the larger picture (from the administrative side's POV...)

I would guess Mouser/Jesse would prefer to see 10 programmers making 10 fresh/unique new programs here on DC rather than having them all creating different forms of the same tool

(This may be perceived as "meta discussion" but it's relevant since -as a programmer- I often get the "I can do/implement that snack better" vs "making a new/novel program from scratch" dichotomy more often than not when browsing the "Coding snacks" sections)

Definitely grateful for your replies & absolutely eager to see more discussion/opinions on this topic as the next batch of snack releases is being done!
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would guess Mouser/Jesse would prefer to see 10 programmers making 10 fresh/unique new programs here on DC rather than having them all creating different forms of the same tool

From my experience with him, I think it would be preferred that programmers do whatever appeals to them. Nothing has ever been really rigid or required in this framework as I've seen in my time here. That's one of the reason that I think it's such a cool place and thrives.