topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firewall Tester  (Read 6394 times)

rsteward

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firewall Tester
« on: September 26, 2022, 09:44 AM »
I'm looking for a windows application that i can list out IP address and Port to see if the Firewall is open or not. 

Occasionally my company audits FW rules and removes ones they deem unnecessary.  I'd like to have an app i could put all the servers:port i access and allow me to quickly check what is available and what access is broken.

Currently i'm using "telnet <hostname/ip> <port>" but was looking for a better streamlined approach.

Any suggestions?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firewall Tester
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 06:25 PM »
For your purposes, 'cstatus' from a fellow DC member could fit the bill. On first glance it doesn't look like it, because the initial interface is for checking how fast (or available) your DNS servers are. But if you look a bit further, you'll see there are more tools included inside this one, including an IP check tool. When you open that section, you will see that it can check which IP addresses are available in a given range, but you can also check if ports are open on the machines that have an IP address inside the selected range.

rsteward

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 08:49 AM »
That looks good, i'll give it a shot.

rsteward

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 01:39 PM »
I don't think cstatus is going to work for me.  I have many servers where PING is not enabled and have to use the telnet command to see if the port is open. 

For your purposes, 'cstatus' from a fellow DC member could fit the bill. On first glance it doesn't look like it, because the initial interface is for checking how fast (or available) your DNS servers are. But if you look a bit further, you'll see there are more tools included inside this one, including an IP check tool. When you open that section, you will see that it can check which IP addresses are available in a given range, but you can also check if ports are open on the machines that have an IP address inside the selected range.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 02:31 PM »
I don't think cstatus is going to work for me.  I have many servers where PING is not enabled and have to use the telnet command to see if the port is open.

Checking ports has nothing to do with ping.  As Shades mentioned, in the cStatus program, choose Tools > IP Scanner from the menu and use that to check for open ports.  Check out the third screenshot on this page: https://www.hnsoft.p.../Screenshots_cstatus

Additionally, the de facto network scanning tool is nmap.  It's a commandline program that's available on just about any platform, but you can use the Zenmap GUI if a GUI suits you better.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 03:32 PM »

nmap is great at what it does, but Windows quite often flags it as malware. Or at least a piece of software the user needs protection from (according to Microsoft). When you get it from the creator's website, it is a false positive.

On a general note: in your network you have telnet enabled, yet ICMP (ping) disabled? Telnet is kinda infamous for being unsafe, in (much) more ways than the ICMP protocol is.

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 05:59 PM »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 07:15 PM »
TCPing should work. I have found it very useful.

Simplest form: tcping.exe host port

Numerous options are available. I use this a lot to just check a port quickly.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 10:44 AM »
On a general note: in your network you have telnet enabled, yet ICMP (ping) disabled? Telnet is kinda infamous for being unsafe, in (much) more ways than the ICMP protocol is.

They're probably just using the telnet client for diagnostic purposes (I do quite frequently as well) and not the server. Since they're separate components, there's no risk to having just the client installed.