topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007  (Read 155694 times)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Definitely, quite a list!

lesbian..
penis..
prostitute..
are these "profane" words?
Took me a minute to figure it out -- but the color code tells the story. Blue words listed have candidates for the filter but are not themselves in question.
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Cavalcader: Words in blue are headwords in the existing Moby database, on which you can click to see more synonyms, while red words are just synonyms.  ;)  Sorry I didn't make this clear.

Tomos: Good point! I'll try to just retain words that are "unquestionably profane" to serve as the default list.

I'd like to allow users to freely & easily edit this profane words list after installation based on the default one.
If it's been edited by the user, it won't get replaced next time he upgrades, unless he "restores default".  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tomos: Good point! I'll try to just retain words that are "unquestionably profane" to serve as the default list.
-Mobysaurus
thanks for not taking offence Mobysaurus,
I was thinking after i posted I was maybe being a bit too smart for me own good  :)
Tom

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cavalcader: Words in blue are headwords in the existing Moby database, on which you can click to see more synonyms, while red words are just synonyms.  ;)  Sorry I didn't make this clear.
No problem -- I see it now after browsing the pages a bit.  :)

I'd like to allow users to freely & easily edit this profane words list after installation based on the default one.
If it's been edited by the user, it won't get replaced next time he upgrades, unless he "restores default".  :)
That's a great idea -- the profanity category definitely varies from person to person, and culturally as well.
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
as an aside - hopefully not too off topic  :)
6. How Does a Word Become a Curse Word?

Our parents are totally going to ground us for talking about this, but if you must know, a "curse" was originally just a bad type of prayer. Thus, the first curse word was likely "damn," as in asking God to damn someone to Hell, which was considered taboo because of the religious power it wielded.

Condemning people to an eternity of suffering isn’t something to let everyone just go around doing on a daily basis, so the government stepped in, leading to the first censorship laws. Among the first victims was William Shakespeare, whose works were considered quite racy for their time, and not just because he sent his fair share of characters to Hades. The Bard’s plays were littered with sexual innuendo, and eventually, these types of references became swear words as well.

Depending on what the sexual mores of the current generation were, formerly innocuous words could suddenly become unfit for polite company. The Victorians, for instance, instituted the practice of referring to the thigh meat on a chicken as "dark meat" because saying the word "leg" or "thigh" at dinner could be enough to give your hostess a case of the vapors.

And in the 17th century, the "c-word" that formerly referred to a certain barnyard fowl took on another, er, more inappropriate meaning, leading to the invention of words like "rooster" and "weathervane" to keep the newly dirty word from crossing genteel lips.

Sometimes these avoidance tactics went a little too far, though. Case in point: the 1952-53 season of "I Love Lucy," during which, despite the star’s stomach being about the size of the Superdome, censors prevented the show’s writers from even once mentioning the word "pregnant."

See also: Maledicta Journal, a scholarly journal dedicated to bad, bad words, published by Reinhold Aman [wiki] (a colorful character himself!).
via:
https://www.donation...pic=6160.0;topicseen
Tom
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:37 AM by tomos »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's a good question! Here's probably a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia....&fulltext=Search

Thanks for looking into it.  :Thmbsup:

Cavalcader, check out the new alpha (1.0.44) - Safe Search!  ;)

You can edit the word list and it won't get replaced with each update unless you choose to restore default.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The next feature to add to moby will be "auto-detection of inflections and spelling variants"  :)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cavalcader, check out the new alpha (1.0.44) - Safe Search!  ;)
Nice! I'll check it out. :D

The next feature to add to moby will be "auto-detection of inflections and spelling variants"  :)
Aha -- fuzzy logic. Sounds good!
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

cemole

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Where do all the birds fly?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We were previously talking about the presentation of the word list that Mobysaurus  suggests. I came across TheSage's English Dictionary and Thesaurus as the "Program of The Month of September 2006" in the Freeware-Guide website. They have come up with a "tree-view type" of an approach (not sure that's the right term, but gets the point across), which I find useful (although a bit resource-heavy maybe). It kind of reminds me of Visual Thesaurus.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:31 PM by cemole »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- post deleted, old version in mind
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:52 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- No, the miss-feature is still there, but I was temporally confused by some talk of "Double click to search".

Please include the mouse in the hotkey settings!

Point the cursor to the word, and press a button & click the mouse
- it is easier and faster, says this long time Babylon user  :up:

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- No, the miss-feature is still there, but I was temporally confused by some talk of "Double click to search".

Please include the mouse in the hotkey settings!

Point the cursor to the word, and press a button & click the mouse
- it is easier and faster, says this long time Babylon user  :up:

Good idea. On-screen character recognition has always been one of the features i want to add to moby, however it seems v tricky to me and I'm not sure how to code it.  :(

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On-screen character recognition has always been one of the features i want to add to moby, however it seems v tricky to me and I'm not sure how to code it.
One idea might be to just send a doubleclick to the active window at the current pointer location. That'd select the word in most programs -- then all you have to do is copy it to the clipboard. OCR might be overkill for that particular functionality. :)  Actually, the user could doubleclick the word desired (so that clicks aren't accidentally sent to the wrong place) and Moby could do the rest, but a <hotkey>-click might be pretty neat.
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:08 PM by Cavalcader »

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Am I the only one experiencing this? Mobysaurus takes just about forever to start up.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Am I the only one experiencing this? Mobysaurus takes just about forever to start up.

Hello tide and welcome to our forum!  :)

It's not uncommon for a .NET application (like Mobysaurus Thesaurus) to take quite some time starting up when you *first* launch it (cold startup) after turning on your PC, or re-launch it after you have it closed for a long while.

Usually for me its cold startups take about 10-15 secs and 2 secs for warm startups afterwards.

Same to all .NET assemblies, the Mobysaurus Thesaurus executables cannot be started "straight away", they store "temporary code", in other words. Your operating system actually first loads .NET Framework components (the translator) into the memory and they will further compile the original assemblies to native code that will specifically run on your PC. So it would take longer for a .NET app to start up; and if Mobysaurus Thesaurus is usually the first .NET program to run on your PC, there are gonna be quite some hard disk activities during the launch because the system has to load all these .NET framework components into memory for the first time before any actual "temporary code" translation can begin.

Anyway, "excuses" aside :P, definitely not looking good if it takes "forever" for you to start it up. :(  Hmmm, how long does it usually take and  does it start up like a turtle in a coma every time, if I may ask?

Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

- anderson

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the welcome, Anderson!

I just timed it. It took 31 seconds for "cold launch" and 10 seconds for relaunch and those are pretty much consistent. This is on a 2.6 GHz XP SP2 machine.

The Thesaurus is a really nice program - once it gets going!

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just timed it. It took 31 seconds for "cold launch" and 10 seconds for relaunch and those are pretty much consistent. This is on a 2.6 GHz XP SP2 machine.

That's really not cool.. :( Sorry for the inconvenience, tide.

I'm looking into this performance issue right now; in the mean while, could you tell me how much memory do you have on your PC? (will def help me diagnose the problem)

Thanks!  :)

carlz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The product is terrific!  Is there a way to start the application minimized-to-try, so that it can easily included in the startup group, and always be available?

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The product is terrific!  Is there a way to start the application minimized-to-try, so that it can easily included in the startup group, and always be available?

Thanks carlz, very nice suggestion! I have added the option to "auto-run and minimize-to-tray when windows starts". When you enable this option, the program adds a key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in your registry so it'll be auto-loaded next time Windows starts up. Likewise, if you disable the option (default disabled), the registry key will be removed.

Screenshot - 23_01_2007 , 3_58_56 AM.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007

Check out the first post of this thread to get the download link of this new version.  :)

Just a thought:
I tend not to recommend allowing Mobysaurus Thesaurus to auto-start with Windows because it may slow down Windows system startup.
Read topic Speed Up Mobysaurus Thesaurus Startup to see why.  :)

And the option does not imply that the program automatically goes to tray every time you minimize/close it. For that, you'll need to check "Minimize to tray" and/or "Close to tray" in options.

Thanks again!  :Thmbsup:

- anderson

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have added the option to "auto-run and minimize-to-tray when windows starts". When you enable this option, the program adds a key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
That's a neat idea, but why not just use the StartUp folder for more user control? The reg "run" key is more for security software or stuff that might have negative side effects when it's not running. (It also starts a little earlier in the login process.)

On the flip side, the StartUp folder lets you temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key) and you can drag & drop items in and out to change their behavior. The shortcut properties sheet also lets you specify whether to start minimized, maximized, or "normal". What would the benefit be of a registry-based start? ;)

BTW, HKCU is usually better than HKLM unless you need one local account to make the loading decision for all accounts. Again, it takes away a layer of control for the individual.
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:32 PM by Cavalcader »

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

That's really not cool.. :( Sorry for the inconvenience, tide.

I'm looking into this performance issue right now; in the mean while, could you tell me how much memory do you have on your PC? (will def help me diagnose the problem)

Thanks!  :)

I'm running with 512 Megs.

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BTW, HKCU is usually better than HKLM unless you need one local account to make the loading decision for all accounts. Again, it takes away a layer of control for the individual.

Thanks, modifying in HKCU is indeed a better choice, no drawbacks as I see it. :up:  (updated ver 1.0.52 reads/writes only in HKCU->Run)

On the flip side, the StartUp folder lets you temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key) and you can drag & drop items in and out to change their behavior.

True. However I think users can still easily enable/disable the auto-run behavior in Moby just as what they can do with it in Startup folder; and even easier sometimes. (Just go to Options -> check/uncheck "auto-run")

Every time Moby starts, it checks out "Run" in the registry; if it finds a key named "MobysaurusThesaurus", the program checks the option "auto-run and minimize-to-tray when windows starts", and auto-updates the launch path if it's different from where the executable is located.

The shortcut properties sheet also lets you specify whether to start minimized, maximized, or "normal". What would the benefit be of a registry-based start? ;)

Would anyone want Moby to auto-start in any other way than "minimized"?  :D :D

(btw, the program always remembers its last window state - size, position, and max/min/normal)

It seems to me that the same level of convenience is offered to end users when they decide whether or not to allow auto-start, and in truth registry manipulation is much easier to program and adds less overhead to the code (if the program has to add/remove/check/update the shortcut/reg key)  ;)

P.S. you know I always let moby stay in my system tray, this 1.0.52 ver prevents it from auto-hiding from me even if I ignores it.  8)  (am I being unreasonable? :P)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, actually modifying in HKCU is indeed a better choice, no drawbacks as I see it. :up:  (updated ver 1.0.52 reads/writes only in HKCU->Run)
Good deal!  :D

On the flip side, the StartUp folder lets you temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key) and you can drag & drop items in and out to change their behavior.
True. However I think users can still easily enable/disable the auto-run behavior in Moby just as what they can do with it in Startup folder
Yup -- except for the part about "temporarily bypass running those items at login (shift key)". Still, if it's easier to program the reg check, that's a reasonable consideration too.  :Thmbsup:

The shortcut properties sheet also lets you specify whether to start minimized, maximized, or "normal". What would the benefit be of a registry-based start? ;)
Would anyone want Moby to auto-start in any other way than "minimized"?  :D :D
I doubt it. Just detailing all the benefits of the startup location. :P

P.S. you know I always let moby stay in my system tray, this 1.0.52 ver prevents it from auto-hiding from me even if I ignores it.  8)  (am I being unreasonable? :P)
You mean it overrides the "hide when inactive" thing in the XP tray somehow? Definitely not unreasonable -- I think that function is pretty unreliable anyway. I've got a number of programs that don't stay visible even when I set 'em to "always show". Very annoying! Here's hoping they made sure it works reliably in Vista...
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Just a thought:
I tend not to recommend allowing Mobysaurus Thesaurus to auto-start with Windows because it may slow down Windows system startup.

I guess you could argue the opposite though - that the one time you don't really care much about an extra few seconds is at startup, when you are likely going on a walk to make yourself a cup of tea anyway.

(Unless you are on an airplane with your laptop and freaking out about the wasting batteries during the 10 minutes bootup).

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(Unless you are on an airplane with your laptop and freaking out about the wasting batteries during the 10 minutes bootup).
Heh! MS did put some effort into optimizing the startup process for XP -- maybe they've tweaked it some more in Vista. Still, for battery considerations, maybe it's better to do the initial boot/login on A/C power and then use hibernate mode until you're ready to use it. The tradeoff for the potential battery savings would be a little less security protecting the logged-in account. 8)
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie