topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - Mobysaurus Thesaurus - 1.0.55 - Jan 30, 2007  (Read 155697 times)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a bit excited about this new "Suggest Roots" tab in v1.0.35.  8)
Very nice! You don't let any grass grow under your feet! :Thmbsup:

What would you think about a "safe search" option, especially for people that might be using Moby in an office or customer-support setting? It could complicate things if language like bull* (or worse) popped up at the wrong time. :D
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

Keith.

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a back button?

Is there a way of getting the web address of a page when using find online?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Is there a way of getting the web address of a page when using find online?

a good solution would be to do what website watcher does, have a button that when you press it launches your default browser at the url of the offline page.  that way you can easily open the offline word page in your real browser for more intensive web work.

Defenestration

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just installed Mobysaurus (1.0.36) for the first time and it crashed after I denied it access to the web. :(

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
Just installed Mobysaurus (1.0.36) for the first time and it crashed after I denied it access to the web. :(
-Defenestration (October 25, 2006, 09:37 AM)

Hmmm...

Why would you do that to it!   ;)

Did you mean it crashed when you were trying "Find Online" or during something else?

Thanks!

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had literally just installed it and then double-clicked on it's Desktop shorcut to start it. Before any window was displayed, my firewall alerted me that it wanted to connect to the Internet and I clicked Deny. I then got an error sayinjg that it had "encountered a problem and needs to close" (ie. it crashed :) ).

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Before any window was displayed, my firewall alerted me that it wanted to connect to the Internet and I clicked Deny.).
-Defenestration (October 25, 2006, 11:00 AM)

Weird. AFAIK, moby does not at all connect to the Internet unless "auto-check for updates" is enabled.  :(

Which firewall is currently active on your PC?  :) I think I'll have to test moby with it.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe it's something caused by .NET.

I'm using Look 'n' Stop 2.05p3 with Phantom's rule-set (although using the supplied Enhanced rule set should be equivalent) which you can get from http://wilderssecuri...owthread.php?t=98973.

So if you remove the rule in your firewall that allows Moby to connect, do you get an alert when Moby starts ?

If you then deny that connection, what happens ?

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm using Look 'n' Stop 2.05p3 with Phantom's rule-set (although using the supplied Enhanced rule set should be equivalent) which you can get from http://wilderssecuri...owthread.php?t=98973.
-Defenestration (October 25, 2006, 11:17 AM)

I couldn't get Look 'n' Stop installed. It seems that the installer tried to install a unsigned device driver and the "Continue Anyway" window kept flashing, which made it impossible to proceed, then I had to kill the installer through task manager.  :(

So if you remove the rule in your firewall that allows Moby to connect, do you get an alert when Moby starts ?
If you then deny that connection, what happens ?

No. If "auto-check for updates" is disabled (default), moby doesn't by itself attempt to connect to the Internet at all. If enabled, moby will try to connect to DC server to download a 6-byte version info file to determine if a newer update is available. This request might get blocked by firewall but no error message is displayed to the user, let alone crashing the program itself. (Tested with ZoneAlarm and native Windows XP SP2 firewall)

It might be possible that the Look 'n' Stop firewall prevents .NET Framework 2.0 web component (which moby uses) from loading, which causes the framework to display an error message.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I couldn't get Look 'n' Stop installed. It seems that the installer tried to install a unsigned device driver and the "Continue Anyway" window kept flashing, which made it impossible to proceed, then I had to kill the installer through task manager.  :(
Because the driver is unsigned, it automatically selects "Continue" for these pop-ups (2 or 3), but should continue installing and request a reboot at the end.. I'm running XP Home SP2.

Did you uninstall ZoneAlarm and reboot before installing LnS ?

LnS has always alerted me before when blocking anything that didn't already have a rule.

I will try a couple of other firewalls in a bit and see if they alert and also cause Moby to crash.

I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this crash ?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I will try a couple of other firewalls in a bit and see if they alert and also cause Moby to crash
FWIW this doesn't happen with 1.036 if I forbid access (using Sygate.)

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just tried it with KIS 6 build 406 Anti-Hacker and I get no alert or crash when starting Moby, so I guess LnS has a problem with .NET apps. I'll report the problem to the LnS author.

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tried Outpost firewall 4.0.969.7020 (584) and if the system's loaded down it doesn't let Moby through, so I get either
[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

or

[attachimg=#2][/attachimg]

Then it got through, and I saw

[attachimg=#3][/attachimg]

No problems from Moby. :) (Dunno about the difference between the two initial dialogs, though.)
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The problem lies with Moby. It makes a local connection to listen on any ports, and when this is denied it causes Moby to crash.

http://cjoint.com/data/kBaO64QHyo.htm

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The problem lies with Moby. It makes a local connection to listen on any ports, and when this is denied it causes Moby to crash.
-Defenestration (October 26, 2006, 06:24 PM)

hmm.. that's a bit intriguing. Coz afaik strictly 100% of all code blocks related to online updating are protected head-to-toe against unhandled exceptions, which means nothing would cause moby to crash by itself.  :)

btw, what firewall was that in the screenshot?

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's the Properties dialog of Process Explorer (http://www.sysintern...ProcessExplorer.html)

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's the Properties dialog of Process Explorer (http://www.sysintern...ProcessExplorer.html)
-Defenestration (October 26, 2006, 10:16 PM)

Thanks! I ran Process Explorer and checked Moby's runtime behavior.

It seems that Moby listens to a random port (69xx, 70xx, etc. ) when running for no reason.

It really shouldn't since no one tells it to, port listening is absolutely unnecessarily and it does nothing for the program. Dunno why this happens  :-\ Anyway, I'll try to figure it out.

Thanks again for letting me know this issue.   :Thmbsup:

Process Explorer is a super powerful & handy program, no wonder Microsoft bought Sysinternals

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Explorer is a super powerful & handy program, no wonder Microsoft bought Sysinternals
Yeah, those're a couple of creative guys. They've done a lot for the Windows community, and not just in all the free tools they've posted. Hopefully they'll be able to make a difference at MS too...
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

http://cjoint.com/data/kBaO64QHyo.htm
-Defenestration (October 26, 2006, 06:24 PM)

After "debugging" for a long time (which almost killed me ;D) I can now say with confidence that this port listening issue is not in any way malicious nor is it any bug in Moby code.

Moby is developed in Visual Studio .NET 2005, which offers this brand-new option to "Make single instance application".

single_instance.PNG

port_listening.png

What it does is only letting the end-user have just one copy of the program running at the same time. If another session of the same program is initiated, what you'll see is the first instance of that program gets focused and brought to the front on screen.

If the application is compiled without "Make single instance application" checked, it does not listen to any port. Also I made a compilation of Moby without enforcing "single instance", it turned out no port was opened/listened to.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything online, or in MSDN archives, that talks about this issue.  :(

However, thank god I was able to capture this fleeting "connection established" event:

communicate.PNG

It basically showed that the second Moby instance launched was communicating with the first one that was already running, after this split-second contact, the second instance closed itself and the first one was focused and brought to the front. And that established connection was dropped.

So based on Overview of the Visual Basic Application Model, I'm guessing this port listening is necessary for a "make single instance" application to:
1. Raising the "StartupNextInstance" event
2. Pass command-line arguments to the first instance
3. Tell the first instance to focus self
etc. before the second instance auto exits.

I do encourage everybody to test this out on Visual Studio 2005 Professional or Express edition, with Process Explorer, which is a marvelous free tool for monitoring application runtime behaviors.

Thank you again Defenestration :Thmbsup:, I'll def use Process Explorer heavily to test & improve Moby before releasing.

- Anderson

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it could be an option to whether to use the embedded browser within Moby T (which is good as a default) or use some other web browser.

Thank you cemole!  :Thmbsup:

1.0.39a allows you to look up in your default (external) browser and there are a few additional option to fa ciliate this.  :)

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, Anderson, with debugging and stuff, you never did comment on my note awhile back:
What would you think about a "safe search" option
...etc.

Is there any chance you'd consider an optional vulgar/profane language filter?

1 this is a quality alpha, not a bug-ridden one. ;D
Heh! Love it.  :D
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:42 PM by Cavalcader »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, Anderson, with debugging and stuff, you never did comment on my note awhile back:
What would you think about a "safe search" option
...etc.

Is there any chance you'd consider an optional vulgar/profane language filter?

Sorry, Cavalcader, my fault, plz  :trout: me! And thanks for reminding!  :Thmbsup:

We def need this option as moby's user base grows. It should not be hard to implement, with ability to allow a custom blacklist, and base on which to filter out vulgar/profane synonyms/headwords.

Do we have a relatively comprehensive list of vulgar/profane words to serve as the default blacklist?  :-[

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's a good question! Here's probably a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia....&fulltext=Search

Thanks for looking into it.  :Thmbsup:
My Linguistic Profile:
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's a good question! Here's probably a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia....&fulltext=Search

Thanks for looking into it.  :Thmbsup:

Warning: Very Offensive Content

http://www.wordzilla.org/index.php/Profanity_word_list

Please feel free to edit this list, ppl!

Note:
This is for the profanity list in Moby so as to let users (optionally) filter out offensive words, we do not in any way, encourage usage of these words!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.wordzilla.../Profanity_word_list

some strange inclusions there !

lesbian..
penis..
prostitute..
are these "profane" words?

shouldn't heterosexual be included if lesbian is??
Although "gay" isnt, just "gaysex" ...

its an odd world we live in  :)
Tom