topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free MKV video repair files  (Read 3913 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free MKV video repair files
« on: September 01, 2021, 05:26 AM »
I am trying to repair an mkv file.
I convert from the dvd file types to mkv.
Some problem is with two VOB files.
It takes me hours to obtain the corresponding iso file from the original dvd format disk (blueright).
I have obtain the mkv file with errors and when watching in two chapters there are viewing problems and audio difficulties.
Can I repair this type of errors ?
Note : trying to copy the VOB files with the windows explorer give me error don't found the original file.
obtaining the mkv files I received several errors.
The video is mostly viewable and with no problem.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free MKV video repair files
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 05:30 AM »
What do you think about :

https://mkvtoolnix.d...wnloads.html#windows

:-\

Another utility comes with VLC Player ...
 :-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 06:17 AM »
The first tool don't solve the problem.

when I convert to mkv format the spanish message was :
Es inválido o está dañado en la posición <xxxxx> intentando solucionar

It's invalid or is damaged in the position <xxxxx> trying to solve....
 :-* :P

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 02:13 AM »
DVDs and BluRay discs are riddled with DRM. Some of those DRM solutions scramble up the content/structure of a DVD/BluRay disc pretty severely. The original disc will work in most hardware players, but it is not a given that software can unscramble the content. Most of the time it is best to use a tool that extracts all the content from a disc onto your hard drive. The extractor is more often than not capable of fixing whatever the DRM broke.

Then you use software like MakeMKV with the extracted content on your drive to create the final video file. Yes, that is time-consuming and requires a lot of free hard disk space every time you such a thing, but it is the most sure-fire way of getting a single video file from a bunch of .VOB files. Never had satisfying results with software that promises to do both those actions in one go.

From what you are writing here, you appear to have the same problem.

And please, look up the difference between a DVD and BluRay. Yes, both are using a plastic disc as a medium. And that is where all other similarities end. A BluRay disc can easily contain 10 times more data than a DVD can ever hope to manage. Which is why viewing and hearing a BluRay movie is many times better than any DVD.

Because of all that extra data, it will take a whole lot longer to extract content from a BluRay disc than from a DVD. Depending on the processing power of your computer, this difference can indeed be hours.

MKVToolnix is not really a tool for repairing broken .MKV files. It is great at editing such a video file (adding audio tracks or subtitles for example). The repair function in VLC is not too useful. Yes, it is able to repair a video file and it will let you view as much of the broken video file as it can. But it won't store those repairs, so the next time VLC opens the broken video file, VLC will need to go trough the whole repair cycle again.

With ripping discs, the result really depends on how proficient you and your tools are. The concept of "garbage in, garbage out" really applies. The most success I always had was doing each step separately, using tools  that do one job and do that job well. The loss in time and the need for ample free storage space were (way back when) a price I was willing to pay for successful conversion.

Nowadays, I can't be .rsed to go through all of that crap again as video streaming sites and a good enough internet connection are too cheap and convenient.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 04:51 AM »
DVDs and BluRay discs are riddled with DRM. Some of those DRM solutions scramble up the content/structure of a DVD/BluRay disc pretty severely. The original disc will work in most hardware players, but it is not a given that software can unscramble the content. Most of the time it is best to use a tool that extracts all the content from a disc onto your hard drive. The extractor is more often than not capable of fixing whatever the DRM broke.
The dvd or blueray are not under DRM in this case.
It just because the dvd or blueray has lost readability.
so a few portions of the movie are not seen clearly.
I need a clever software able to minimize the errors and give the best vision.

Best Regards.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:25 AM »

FWIW I don't think you're going to find a magic pill to 'fix' the 'errors' (how would said app know what was an error without something to reference against, like the original files  :huh:)

My experience parallels what shades said, ie rip the disc to your HDD regardless of the format, then convert it using the software of choice (YMMV but I use DVD Smith Movie Backup to rip to HDD, then X Media Recode to transcode).  Sure it might take some time, but if the end goal is to have a local copy in a readable format then that;s the price you have to pay

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 04:41 AM »

FWIW I don't think you're going to find a magic pill to 'fix' the 'errors' (how would said app know what was an error without something to reference against, like the original files  :huh:)

My experience parallels what shades said, ie rip the disc to your HDD regardless of the format, then convert it using the software of choice (YMMV but I use DVD Smith Movie Backup to rip to HDD, then X Media Recode to transcode).  Sure it might take some time, but if the end goal is to have a local copy in a readable format then that;s the price you have to pay

Understood.
There is not solution then.
The track is damaged and is not possible to recover the images quality.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 03:44 AM »

Depends how the track is damaged, if it's data corruption due to the azide layer detiorating then no, you've got no hope.
If it's due to a scratch on the DVD then you can polish it out, I've recovered quite a few CDs/DVDs doing this.

FWIW, I still use RipIt4Me if I need to rip a DVD.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 03:46 AM »

Depends how the track is damaged, if it's data corruption due to the azide layer detiorating then no, you've got no hope.
If it's due to a scratch on the DVD then you can polish it out, I've recovered quite a few CDs/DVDs doing this.

FWIW, I still use RipIt4Me if I need to rip a DVD.
Thanks 4wd.
 :-* :P