topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to change folder in CHS  (Read 3820 times)

flowergardener

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to change folder in CHS
« on: May 19, 2021, 11:17 PM »
I cannot change the folder where CHS stores the database and backup. I edited the ConfigDir.ini file to point to a different directory but CHS insists on pointing to the original one. I have shut down CHS and reloaded after making the change but it still goes to the original.

I also reinstalled CHS and changed the installation directory but it still insists on using the old one. I even deleted the old directory but CHS still created new files in the old directory.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to change folder in CHS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 05:55 AM »
I cannot change the folder where CHS stores the database and backup. I edited the ConfigDir.ini file to point to a different directory but CHS insists on pointing to the original one. I have shut down CHS and reloaded after making the change but it still goes to the original.

I also reinstalled CHS and changed the installation directory but it still insists on using the old one. I even deleted the old directory but CHS still created new files in the old directory.
-flowergardener (May 19, 2021, 11:17 PM)
are you using the portable version of CHS? (The databse would then normally be in the same directory as the software unless you put it in a folder with restricted write pesmissions e.g. 'Program Files'.)
or is the database in the 'Documents' folder? (this the default for the installable CHS).

FWIW I've never messed with the ini file. But I have moved from installed version to portable version (to test an alpha version) -- I simply unticked start with windows on the one I didnt want to use, and vice-versa on the other. I dont think there's any advantages (anyone?) to having one or the other.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to change folder in CHS
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 05:08 AM »
It sounds like you did things right - edit ConfigDir.ini file to point to a different directory.  Make sure you remove the // characters at the start of the line saying its a comment line to ignore it.
Alternatively, as tomos says, the portable download starts out with a ConfigDir file that says to store in the current directory that you launch from.