topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: freenode exodus  (Read 4086 times)

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
freenode exodus
« on: May 19, 2021, 05:40 PM »
<rareGoth[c]post>
fyi's - Given all the drama around freenode today and the mass exodus going on - I went ahead and registered a #donationcoder on libera - which is where i'll park my idle butt from now on :)
Yes yesyes, i know most of you are on discord - i'm too stubborn to use that corporate owned crap on a regular bases (i open it from time to time, but it always feels annoying/in the way) aaanway...  something something about prying and cold dead hands....  May or may not see you in the new place :)
</rareGoth[c]post>

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: freenode exodus
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 02:13 AM »
all the drama around freenode today and the mass exodus

Where can we learn more about this?

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:19 AM »
all the drama around freenode today and the mass exodus

Where can we learn more about this?

There's a brief overview here, but the entire story seems a little messy  :tellme:

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:38 AM »
There's details in the various resignation letters.

Basically the tl;dr is that the company who owns - i guess - most importantly, the domain (because, what is there even to own in a network where everything's run by volunteers and all the servers are run by sponsors for free?) ended up in the hands of someone who wants to monetize it (sell userdata?) - all of this happened, as i understand, mostly out of control / behind the back of the staff.

In any event, the details don't matter all that much I think, freenode before - libera now; this sort of thing happens from time to time. The positive thing about all this is that it illustrates how resilient irc is to a single corporate entity controlling everything. Sponsors who run servers, can just as easily run their servers connected to a different network. Users with channels can just as easily chat on another network. If anything, the whole ordeal demonstrates how decentralization is nice; if this were discord or slack or something, you'd have to either live with the new management and their policies or have nothing.

That said, the whole ordeal has been somewhat entertaining. It's not every day you see the birth of a new network at this scale. In the beginning there was channels being flooded by botnets, and some ddosing going on- it was like 90's efnet all over again :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:21 PM »
In any event, the details don't matter all that much I think, freenode before - libera now; this sort of thing happens from time to time. The positive thing about all this is that it illustrates how resilient irc is to a single corporate entity controlling everything. Sponsors who run servers, can just as easily run their servers connected to a different network. Users with channels can just as easily chat on another network. If anything, the whole ordeal demonstrates how decentralization is nice; if this were discord or slack or something, you'd have to either live with the new management and their policies or have nothing.

excellent points.