topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Please correct EmEditor review  (Read 31342 times)

emurasoft

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • EmEditor (text editor)
    • Donate to Member
Please correct EmEditor review
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:48 PM »
I am an author of EmEditor.  I just came across to the Best Text Editor site, and the EmEditor review, but unfortunately EmEditor was not correctly reviewed, and I was very disappointed by that.

EmEditor does support Column Mode. It is called Block selection by EmEditor.  You can select block text by using mouse while pressing ALT or start using CTRL + SHIFT + F8

Code Folding is now supported by EmEditor Professional v6.  It is called Outline by EmEditor.

Macros is powerful, and it now supports not only Javascript/VBScript but also PerlScript, PHPScript, Python and any other ActiveScripts available.  Please let me know how the documentation is lacking.  These script languages are very popular and standard, and widely used by many people, so learning these languages should be easier.

User Tools: You can capture Standard Output of user defined external tools. 

I believe EmEditor is a best text editor.  It completely supports Unicode, and it is a very fast text editor.  It has a powerful tab features.  It is very stable.  It is extendable by using plug-ins.  It supports powerful macros, and supports many more features!

If you have not tried recent versions of EmEditor, you should try EmEditor Professional , and you can download from the EmEditor web site http://www.emeditor.com/It is a top rated developer software and text editor by CNet download.com.

Please also change the title of the software to EmEditor Professional from just EmEditor.

Thank you.

Yutaka Emura
Developer of EmEditor
http://www.emeditor.com/

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:55 PM by emurasoft »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please correct EmEditor review
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Yutaka, we very much welcome software authors on this site, and I think I speak for most of us when I say that everyone has different needs and different tastes, and just because a reviewer liked one program best doesn't mean everyone else will agree.  The best thing for anyone is to try the different programs and decide for themselves.

I am happy to make the corrections+additions you have suggested; they will be up tonight.

ps. The text editor review in question probably needs an update very soon
(https://www.donation...extEditor/index.html)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 08:29 PM by mouser »

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:40 AM »
I agree. I chose Emeditor Pro, and it's really good and he's responsive to support. Thanks and welcome, Mr Yutaka

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 12:52 AM »
I've updated the review and added a link back to this thread.
In the future we will endeavor to offer all authors the chance to comment on their product and link to their comments - i think it will make for a better review.  :up:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:55 AM »
In the future we will endeavor to offer all authors the chance to comment on their product and link to their comments - i think it will make for a better review.  :up:

It may also be an idea to offer it pre-posting?? Some of these "language" issues would have been picked up then.

- Perry

emurasoft

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • EmEditor (text editor)
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Thank you for correcting the EmEditor Professional description.  However, I would like to ask you to re-exam the speed, which you mentioned 1.5s/2.5sEmEditor is actually popular because of its lightweight design.  I have tried to optimize the startup time every time I release the upgrade, and the startup time should be less than 1 second in most environments.  In Version 6.00 or later, there is a new option called EmEditor Quick Start, and you can find it from the Tools menu, Customize, and then Shortcut tab.  By checking this option, the EmEditor window will start even faster, and it will launch usually in less than 0.5 seconds.  This is possible because a hidden EmEditor window will be launched as soon as the EmEditor tray icon is launched.  When a user starts EmEditor, the hidden EmEditor window will be switched to the visible state, and it looks that EmEditor launches quickly.  This option is not turned on by default, so a user should turn on this option if he or she cares the speed most.  Even without this option, however, EmEditor does not use commercial libraries such as Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC), thus it is optimized very well especially for the startup time.  You can find that the size of the core program "emeditor.exe" is only 527KB at this writing, which should explain how light-weighted it is.

I am also eager to see other features that EmEditor is good at, such as Unicode.  The Unicode support is a must for anyone who uses international languages.  Most text editors claim they support Unicode (UTF-8 and UTF-16), but the reality is they only convert Unicode to the system encoding (or ANSI) internally when they open files, so they cannot actually edit characters that are not supported by the system encoding.  For instance, most text editors cannot actually edit Shift-JIS (Japanese) encoding on English Windows.  Most text editors cannot even open Unicode file names.  I know because I tested them!

Maybe that is why EmEditor is a most popular text editor in international markets.  It is widely used by Japanese government and European Union organizations, and many international companies.

You can download the latest version of EmEditor Professional from http://www.emeditor.com/.

----
Yutaka Emura
The Developer of EmEditor
http://www.emeditor.com/

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:47 AM by emurasoft »

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 05:46 AM »
Looks like there is a typo in the update notice in the review:
"UPDATED 09/07/05
Updated EmEditor Pro."
mouser, you probably meant "09/07/06".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 05:57 AM »
every day i prove more and more that i need a professional typo corrector by my side at all times  :P

thank you for the correction - it's fixed now.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 07:36 AM »
Suggestion: Either use YYYY-MM-DD format, or switch to a completely unambiguous DD-mmm-YYYY format (ie, something like "15. October 2006").
- carpe noctem

emurasoft

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • EmEditor (text editor)
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00 AM »
If you are talking about Time/Date command on the Edit menu (or F5 key), the format used is determined by the Windows system. You can choose whatever format you would like by going to Regional Settings in Control Panel, Date/Time short format.

[EDIT] Sorry. I found it was about this web site. I thought it was EmEditor command.  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 11:02 AM by emurasoft »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:12 AM »
I tried it.  The speed is very fast.  I also like that it is not dependent on MFC.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:47 PM by CodeTRUCKER »