topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a program to allow use of the optional tags displayed by windows explorer  (Read 2784 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have probably looked at close to a dozen but none of them are as simple as they should be and most don't seem to work as expected if at all. 

When you open windows explorer, you are provided the option of adding numerous columns with close to a hundred assorted titles ranging from City, State,  Zip to URL and many more.  However, I cannot find anything that will allow me to Use these columns by adding that information to a file's metadata.  Right click on any file and you will find various data fields on most but i can't find an editor to allow me to add any new fields to any of them.

If the file is an Image file is the only exception where there are plenty of "exif editors" out there to change all kinds of things related to the image.

I would love to be able to add a few of those tags to some folders as it would be a terrific help if i need to sort the folders into a different order than simple alphabetic by the name in the Name column.  Even though i can add the columns where the data would be displayed i have no way to enter the data that would be displayed there.  No way to use them as a preference to sort the display by or anything else.

This is true for simple files such a a text file.   Is there a utility out there to allow something like this to be done?   Especially one that works as it should such as right click the file or folder to display the current meta data tags  showing what is in them and allow editing that content or even better adding new metadata tags for things like URL that could store the link where the file came from?

If so, where can i find such a utility.  Any info greatly appreciated.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Things like text files don't have metadata afaiaa, they use the ADS, (Alternate Data Stream), for storing things like comments.

This is reminiscent of one of your previous threads:
https://www.donation....msg383356#msg383356

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[...] but none of them are as simple as they should be and most don't seem to work as expected if at all.  [...]

Unfortunately, "simple" is a matter of perspective.
That being said, I know of two programs that do what you want.

The first, FileMeta, looks a helluva lot more overwhelming than it actually is.

2021-07-21  21∶14.pnga program to allow use of the optional tags displayed by windows explorer

To create an example, I chose ".ahk" files and added "system.keywords" (tags) to what is displayed and what I can edit in Windows Explorer's "details pane". 

Here, you can see that's I've set the focus to the "Tags" field.

I didn't add a tag because I forgot to and I would go back and re-do it, except I'm sitting outside getting eaten up by mosquitos and if I get up and go inside, I'll never finish this reply.  So I'm suffering the loss of blood to small flying creatures, as I hurry to finish this reply.

2021-07-21  21∶13.pnga program to allow use of the optional tags displayed by windows explorer

The second one is Windows Property System View by Nirsoft

I haven't tried it, but it looks simple.

Goog luck!

Spamster

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The upcoming version 1.5 of Everything will add a lot of features for dealing with file properties. Worth a look. Overview here https://www.voidtool....php?f=12&t=9788