topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1  (Read 64585 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SuperboyAC's Notetaking Software Roundup #1
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 11:36 PM »
Well, I finally tried evernote v3.  It's not bad, most of the functionality of v2 is still there.  I couldn't really see anything missing.

My feelings...eh, I'll pass.

The whole account thing turned me off.  Premium account for extended image support.  More online space.  I'm sure 500 MB is enough for almost everyone, but I just didn't like the feel of it.  And it's not completely optional.  You have to have an account to use it.  I still hate all applications that are tied to the web.  I just don't like it, even if I don't have a great reason for it.

I'll stick with 2.2, it has a beauty and simplicity to it.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 03:02 AM »
I've been using Surfulator but I'm wondering if Evernote, either v2.2. or v3, is quicker to load. Any thoughts on that, superboyac?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 03:36 AM »
I've been using Surfulator but I'm wondering if Evernote, either v2.2. or v3, is quicker to load. Any thoughts on that, superboyac?
Which version of Surfulator nudone?
I'm using Surfulator (last Version 2) - it starts as quickly as Evernote 2.2 here - although the first start of Evernote seems to be slower than subsequent starts (i.e. Evernote is then quicker - but the difference wouldnt bother me anyways)

Havent tried Evernote 3.

I'd like to try out CintaNotes as a possible replacement for Evernote ...
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 05:20 AM »
it's the latest version of Surfulator, tomos...

i just tried it; it takes about 12 seconds to finish loading (with four knowledge bases), and that's on a dual core 4800 amd chip with raid striped raptor drives. there are a lot of pictures in the things i've grabbed though - maybe that's why it seems slow - or, i admit, maybe i'm being too picky.

edit:
i'd like to use Surfulator to keep quick and simple notes but when it takes 12 seconds to load up it's not really convenient - that's why i was wondering if EasyNote would be a better choice. i could leave Surfulator running in the background i suppose but, by some strange coincidence, my (vista) machine has just blue screened (which it never does) whilst running Adobe Illustrator and Surfulator at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:32 AM by nudone »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 05:55 AM »
I'd like to try out CintaNotes as a possible replacement for Evernote ...

It's a simple application that doesn't do more than text, but I'm intrigued by the latest version of Notesholder, because it gives you a hotkey which will save the latest clip from the clipboard as a new note - and the nice bit is that if the clip was made from a browser (don't know how many are supported) it will include the URL of the page the clip came from.  Even the freeware Lite version does this now, and both Pro and Lite can be installed as portable, too.  The Pro version will be on Bits Du Jour on Sunday 3d May.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 06:34 AM »
it's the latest version of Surfulator, tomos...

i just tried it; it takes about 12 seconds to finish loading (with four knowledge bases), and that's on a dual core 4800 amd chip with raid striped raptor drives. there are a lot of pictures in the things i've grabbed though - maybe that's why it seems slow - or, i admit, maybe i'm being too picky.
12 sec is crazy time to be hanging around :D
that sounds like something to report at their forums - even if they're big files, it should not make any difference - it only loads enough of the file to get you going.
With version #2 I can open about 20MB worth of files (over 6 files) + the Help file and it opens very quickly.

Actually, like Evernote, subsequent starts are quicker than the first - under a second here
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48 AM »
right, hmm, well my database is 300 meg - perhaps that is justifies the length of time it takes. i don't know???

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26 AM »
right, hmm, well my database is 300 meg - perhaps that is justifies the length of time it takes. i don't know???
I dont think so -
I remember in the forums over there Neville talking about only showing part of the file - whatever part would be visible - so, in theory at any rate, it shouldnt have an effect - not such a big one at any rate.
He is very responsive to problems so probably worth a post there ..
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 10:31 AM »
My data is not that large (~20 MB) so I don't know how much help I can be.  I always thought Evernote 2.2 was a pretty fast application.  I haven't used Surfulator for a while, but I don't remember speed being an issue there either.  Overall, I would say Evernote is faster.

(but again, I haven't used Surfulator in a while and my databases are not that big).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10 AM »
right, thanks. i'll see if Surfulator opens up any quicker if i load in a smaller database. then i'll see what they say on the Surfulator forum. i may still try Evernote - the text inside image recognition is appealing.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 11:42 AM »
FWIW, Surfulater 3.00.10 here.  Starts in under 2 seconds but it's a small database (2.5MB).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 02:20 PM »
if i close the databases and just use the default (help) knowledgebase then it starts up quickly. so, i think it just must be the number of large images i've got in all of the other knowledgebases.

i may use Evernote for a specific type of 'note' instead, i.e. notes that i create myself rather than pages grabbed from the net - that's a decent compromise.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Folks, I am not an Evernote champion, but let us not forget that EN can identify "text" within graphics.  This means that if you find a picture of the '60's protesters carrying signs that say "Viet Nam Hurts!", , etc. and a year later you remember some aspect of that photo you were touched by, you will be able to search on the "text" in the picture to locate that item.  The results are also lightning fast.  !=  

<broken record>
I want to reiterate that if you are using 2.2, you will never lose a keystroke if the BSOD, etc. comes to call.  I don't know how EN does it without affecting the performance, but they do!  I am a strong fan of EN 2.2, but you can have 3.0! :down:
</broken record> 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:05 PM by CodeTRUCKER »