topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Web service to let supporters vote rankings  (Read 3854 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Web service to let supporters vote rankings
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:07 PM »
As some of you know, a friend and I have started working on a youtube series where we discuss board games.

We were thinking that we'd like to have a giant list of potential games (1000s) and let the audience (or just patreon supporters?), help decide which games we review in which order.

So that requires having a page which lists all the (1000s of) potential items up for consideration, and let's people indicate their top favorites (maybe like rank their top 10 or something), and then lets us see which gets the most votes or shares.

Does anyone know of any web service or wordpress plugin that does this easily?

Maybe this is just something that any easy voting plugin could handle.. Or maybe there are some features that would be especially useful for doing this kind of thing where you are asking people to help rank choices and then striking items off the top of the list as you do them..

I guess that's the thing that makes me think this is somewhat specialized requirement, in that it's not simply a one-time poll, but rather a list that we will over time be taking completed items off of.. where when we take an item off the list, people should be able to re-allocate their vote?  Or maybe we need some way for people who vote on an item that gets completed to then have less weight on subsequent votes?

It's an interesting problem in general -- the best way to let supporters help rank and choose items to do from a list where you are adding and removing items constantly... Ideas welcome..

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Web service to let supporters vote rankings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 11:55 PM »
the best way to let supporters help rank and choose items to do from a list where you are adding and removing items constantly... Ideas welcome..

List versioning!

When you pick users' top-voted item from your TO DO list, snapshot the whole list adding a version number for future reference.

This method can prove to be the most transparent over time :)
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic!

Support with your DonationCredits!
❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/publicdomain
🎁 One-time Paypal @ www.paypal.com/paypalme/victorvls
Email/Paypal: publicdomainvicgmail.com

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 01:20 AM »
If you're looking for just ratings (either star or percentage), there are several plugins that do that. Use a table plugin that supports CSV import, and I think you can get it sans coding. What you're talking about, I've never seen before.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:36 PM »
If you are manually making the list of games, you could just import the list as a CSV into Google forms and use that (drop-down for selection and such).

Probably how I'd do it just because it's easy and quick haha

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 02:37 AM »
This sounds a lot like bug reporting software, which allows users to upvote issues/bugs. I've seen one that gives each user 10 votes which they can cast however they want, even spending all 10 votes on a single issue. They can change their votes at any time, or automatically get their votes back when the issue is marked as closed, but they can never have more than 10 votes on anything at any given time.

Or alternatively you could use other software development / project management tools, such as Trello, which allow people without edit access to upvote cards or lists.

Though, while these things do allow you to have hundreds or thousands of entries, viewing/browsing/discovering them all is not necessarily handled well in any  of the tools I've seen before. I can't imagine trying to scroll through a Trello board that has thousands of cards.