topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday October 22, 2020, 1:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Incipitor  (Read 470 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Incipitor
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Here is a little program I am considering to make for NANY.

Right now, it's just a simple little script I made for myself, but for NANY, I would work it up into a full-fledged program.  Once I get it working then I'll post up an official NANY entry.  Right now I just want to see if anyone likes this idea.

Here is my premise:
I use Open Shell on my Windows 10 (Classic Shell) and so like to use my Windows Start menu and organize it my own way.  It would also be great for any remnant of the Windows 7 users.
But it is tedious to get all the shortcuts where you want them.
My idea is a little context menu where, in explorer, when you click on a file you have an entry in the context menu to add a shortcut for that file (with a dialogue to name the shortcut) to your Start Menu - and you get to choose either the Start Menu root or a subfolder to place the shortcut inside. 

In the screenshots I've attached, you can see my Start Menu (Open Shell's with a good 'ole Win7 look), the context menu entry "Add to Start Menu" and another little menu where you choose which folder to place a shortcut.  I've clicked on tbpixelstudio.exe in the Pixarra Pixel Studio folder (which I just installed) and now have a shortcut to the executable in the "Graphics" folder.

Also, you know how installers add a shortcut to the desktop?  Well, for me, I know when I do that, after I add the shortcut to the right subfolder in the Start Menu then I don't need the desktop icon anymore, so I'm thinking of adding an option to remove the shortcut after I've moved it to the subfolder.  This option would work for any .lnk files - so you could use the routine for shortcuts in the Start Menu as well.

Screenshot_326.pngIncipitor
Screenshot_325.pngIncipitorScreenshot_327.pngIncipitor

Folders for the root of the Start Menu that show in Open Shell also show in the normal Windows 10 Start Menu as folders in that big, long, hard-to-use list, too.  But having folders there isn't so useful as it is in the old Windows 7 Start Menu, so I'm not sure how useful my program would be for folks who actually use the normal Windows 10 Start Menu.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:23 PM by BGM »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Incipitor
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 03:09 PM »
I could see this being handy if/when setting up a new machine.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 04:00 PM »
One of the uses I find for it is that I like to install lots of programs that don't have installers.  I use Incipitor to add them to my Start Menu.  Eh, it's one of those particular case-use apps, for sure.  I think I will work up the basics of it in time to be in the NANY though.  I want that 07 next to my profile picture.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13 PM »
One of the uses I find for it is that I like to install lots of programs that don't have installers.  I use Incipitor to add them to my Start Menu.

Sounds like another portable application enthusiast...  :Thmbsup:

Your idea sounds interesting enough to me.

hornet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:30 PM »
I have a folder on my desktop called "shortcuts" . I place shortcuts to any program I want to use regularly in it.

(I also use sub-folders in the "shorcuts" folder to sort different types of programs).

Then I select the "shorcuts" folder as a toolbar.... so that all the shortcuts are readily available to me at all times.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Ah, well, that works, too, and sounds alot like the way the old Windows 7 Quicklaunch works.  (I am thinking of letting Incipitor do things with that folder too - I use it all the time).

The point of Incipitor is that you can click on the things you want to make shortcuts for.
I was planning on an option to specify what folder you wanted to use.  So Incipitor could work for your custom folder, too.  That would not be hard to do at all and is more or less what the Windows Start Menu [used to] does, and exactly how Incipitor works.  Incipitor would let you add things to that folder from the context menu of the items you wish to add and you don't have to deal with two explorer windows (or two panels in FreeCommander like I would do) which means less navigation.

Okay, so I'm working on a first version at the moment.  As soon as I have one, I'll add the official NANY entry stuff into the first post (Hi, Mouser).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:11 PM by BGM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 10:57 PM »
This sounds really useful!  Especially since they're taking away my ability to install things on the new laptop they're sending me  :-\

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Uh, for that not-being-able-to-install things - you can fix that and make Windows normal again, you know.  I've done it once so far - there is a Windows Store app that you download, and after you run it, it disables that silly Windows "Safe Mode" and makes everything normal.  I did this on an hp recently and everything works just fine now.

I think it's called "S Mode"; How-to-Geek tells how to disable it.
https://www.howtogee...indows-10-in-s-mode/

Now, Incipitor will need to add a registry entry for the context menu.  I can put an install/uninstall button in the program's GUI, but if folks want to delete Incipitor, most of them won't remember to uninstall it from the context menu before deleting the program, so I'm thinking of actually making an installer for the application so that when it gets uninstalled it can remove the registry entry and therefore the context menu entry.  But I think that might just be optional.  I don't like making installers because it's more work  ;D but for this purpose it does sort of make sense to create one.  Maybe I'll include it in the download, but specify the reason for it in the readme file and on my website's page (or something like that).  However, the program itself will come first, with the install-context-menu item in the GUI, and if I feel froggy enough, I'll make the installer to go with it.  But I dont' think this program will be so popular due to it's exclusive nature (for power users, really), so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of creating an installer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:10 PM by BGM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 12:19 AM »
It's not windows S mode.  It's that they're removing our admin privileges.  I might be able to install things as a non-admin if they don't need the privileges, but they will also probably be scanning to see what's installed if the past is any indication.  So because of that, can you make it completely non-intrusive if need be?  I might be able to access HKCU, but I'm not counting on it.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Hmmm...  adding a context menu entry requires access to HKCU for sure.  You would need admin privileges to install the program then, I guess.  I never considered how it would work for a non-admin user wanting to install things...  I've never used a non-admin account before (hee hee)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 11:27 AM »
I'm working on it!  I have a GUI now for the options, and it will install its context menu entry now - although you have to be an administrator, of course, for that to work, because the * key is in HKCR (not HKCU).

However, it would also work if you had the app open and you drag items onto it's window, or if you drag items onto it's program icon.  That could be a workaround for a non-admin with no way to install it to the context menu.  Although I doubt the practicality of that.

Right now you can change the icon displayed in the context menu, the text displayed there, general position of the entry in the context menu, and the path to the Start Menu folder.  There is an option to use a tray icon as well.

Anyway, just an update.  As soon as I get a version that is ready to try out, I'll post it up.