topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet wifi utility  (Read 8824 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Internet wifi utility
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:50 AM »
I am using sometimes a public wifi.
With windows 10 home you never know if you have the connection active or not.
On my laptop.
Recently I installed Evernote and sometimes appear a window indicating a problem with a certificate and this seems a sympton I have not active wifi internet connection. But in the tray icon seems there is connection.

I Know is difficult an utility to reconnect to a free wifi with a necessary login, but I would like to know at least if I am connected or not.

Can you do that ?
 :-* :P

P.D. the evernote window that appear from time to time....

AsusPortatil - 13_09_2020 , 12_44_18.pngInternet wifi utilityAsusPortatil - 13_09_2020 , 12_44_18.pngInternet wifi utility

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet wifi utility
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:03 AM »
The network tray icon is not really a good indicator anymore. Microsoft insists on only checking against their own servers to confirm your (wired) internet connection is OK or not. The amount of times I have seen that icon go from one state to the other, for example, while watching Youtube videos (without a glitch)...makes it unreliable.

Of course, there is some logic behind that connection state verification. And you might find the logic compelling. For me, the usefulness of that icon has diminished significantly. It used to be that the icon would flash whenever internet traffic was flowing. But that was removed in Vista/Windows 7. And with Windows 10 it indicates your network settings are incorrect when it cannot connect to Microsoft servers.

In Contro's case, the error message complains about a certificate mismatch. You are visiting a website that uses an incorrect certificate. There is a difference between the (domain) name of the web-site and the (domain) name configured in the certificate that this website uses. An error that is not related to being connected to the internet. The required certificates for such a check are available locally.

This is an error that appears to be generated by a form that Contro is using (to fill in some data, I assume). And such an error on a public WiFi hotspot is a very bad thing. Public WiFi should not used whenever you wish to transmit any important data, such as credit card numbers, your personal registration numbers that your government has coupled to your name, identification numbers of your official documents etc. Public WiFi cannot be trusted in any circumstance. The error you see in the screenshots is your computer warning you about doing something really dumb and potentially very costly (both financially and time-consuming).

Stop doing what you are doing when you see that error, especially on a public WiFi hotspot. If you are not on a public hotspot, you should also stop what you are doing and inform the site owner about this error. Only continue when they tell you it is fixed.

Using certificates is a good way to protect data being transferred over insecure lines, such as the internet. But only when those are properly applied.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 11:42 AM »
The network tray icon is not really a good indicator anymore. Microsoft insists on only checking against their own servers to confirm your (wired) internet connection is OK or not. The amount of times I have seen that icon go from one state to the other, for example, while watching Youtube videos (without a glitch)...makes it unreliable.

Of course, there is some logic behind that connection state verification. And you might find the logic compelling. For me, the usefulness of that icon has diminished significantly. It used to be that the icon would flash whenever internet traffic was flowing. But that was removed in Vista/Windows 7. And with Windows 10 it indicates your network settings are incorrect when it cannot connect to Microsoft servers.

In Contro's case, the error message complains about a certificate mismatch. You are visiting a website that uses an incorrect certificate. There is a difference between the (domain) name of the web-site and the (domain) name configured in the certificate that this website uses. An error that is not related to being connected to the internet. The required certificates for such a check are available locally.

This is an error that appears to be generated by a form that Contro is using (to fill in some data, I assume). And such an error on a public WiFi hotspot is a very bad thing. Public WiFi should not used whenever you wish to transmit any important data, such as credit card numbers, your personal registration numbers that your government has coupled to your name, identification numbers of your official documents etc. Public WiFi cannot be trusted in any circumstance. The error you see in the screenshots is your computer warning you about doing something really dumb and potentially very costly (both financially and time-consuming).

Stop doing what you are doing when you see that error, especially on a public WiFi hotspot. If you are not on a public hotspot, you should also stop what you are doing and inform the site owner about this error. Only continue when they tell you it is fixed.

Using certificates is a good way to protect data being transferred over insecure lines, such as the internet. But only when those are properly applied.

The error window are using evernote app on my laptop. I detect with windows explorer.

When this window appear happen I have failed the wifi connection. Only appear when I have lost the wifi connection. It seems to me that evernote app try to connect with its server and show that message if not found.

So is a normal window of error and the wifi connection may be in general unsafe , but in this case is just because the wifi internet connection fails.

I assume you don't know about a reliable indicator for my purpose.

I am using rainmeter some years ago, but I must see the desktop and difficult to detect the internet wifi quality if you are not uploading or downloading.

With uTorrent I quickly detect if the wifi connection is down.

"In Contro's case, the error message complains about a certificate mismatch. You are visiting a website that uses an incorrect certificate. There is a difference between the (domain) name of the web-site and the (domain) name configured in the certificate that this website uses. An error that is not related to being connected to the internet. The required certificates for such a check are available locally." . This affirmation is not correct. Simply the connection is lost and the evernote app tries to reconnect or something similar.

I observed this also recharging some webs. If the connection has failed I received the message a safe connection is not possible. But when the wifi is up those webs loads correctly.

Some webs like Sputnik News, Ali Express and a few others give me problems with this wifi connection. But I solve by another means. No problem with Amazon, Ebay and many others. I have observed some problems with the combination of Firefox and official or gubernamental webs. Sometimes may be a problem similar to that with Ali Express ....

Anyway. I continue trying to find a good app for establish when I am up or down....

Best Regards

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:27 PM »
You could try my Tray Host Checker utility.

https://www.dcmember...d/tray-host-checker/

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04 AM »
You could try my Tray Host Checker utility.

https://www.dcmember...d/tray-host-checker/
running to try !

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I am obtaining frequent warning windows , but the connection seems not lost.

this is the message
AsusPortatil - 17_09_2020 , 17_11_08.pngInternet wifi utility

I am using the IP that appear in the program rainmeter about this wifi internt connection.
During this post I received a lot of windows.
But I can post....

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 02:36 PM »

Try using a different IP like Google's DNS servers.  8.8.8.8 or 4.4.4.4
Also, make sure the "Fire alert only once per consecutive host down events" option is checked as well.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:40 PM »

Also, make sure the "Fire alert only once per consecutive host down events" option is checked as well.

Understood. I will comment

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:42 PM »
This is the configuration  :

AsusPortatil - 17_09_2020 , 23_41_46.pngInternet wifi utility

Trying !

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 06:03 PM »

I've been experiencing frequent (but relatively short--just a few minutes in most cases) outages with my internet lately, so your response in this thread prompted me to give Tray Host Checker a try. I'm using 8.8.8.8 and it's not uncommon for me to get a host down event, followed immediately (i.e., at the next 5 second check) by a host up event. (In fact, it just happened as I was typing this up!)

But I'm not experiencing any noticeable loss in internet connection during these short durations. It makes me wish there was an option to only trigger a host down event notification after N consecutive host down responses. That way I could, for example, configure it to check every 5 seconds, but only be notified if the connection was lost for 10, or 15, or 30 seconds consecutively. In other words, check every 5 seconds, but only notify after a configurable number (2, 3, or 6, in my example) of consecutive host down events occurs.

And also maybe an option to disable the first host up notification for the first host check when the app first starts up. I think the app should assume the connection has been working the first time it checks and therefore a host up notification is redundant.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09 PM »
I am watching !!!!!!

green light all the time. Must be a micro cut.
18.09.2020.00.08 red light and inmediately green. Is a micro cut.
 ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:10 PM »

I've been experiencing frequent (but relatively short--just a few minutes in most cases) outages with my internet lately, so your response in this thread prompted me to give Tray Host Checker a try. I'm using 8.8.8.8 and it's not uncommon for me to get a host down event, followed immediately (i.e., at the next 5 second check) by a host up event. (In fact, it just happened as I was typing this up!)

But I'm not experiencing any noticeable loss in internet connection during these short durations. It makes me wish there was an option to only trigger a host down event notification after N consecutive host down responses. That way I could, for example, configure it to check every 5 seconds, but only be notified if the connection was lost for 10, or 15, or 30 seconds consecutively. In other words, check every 5 seconds, but only notify after a configurable number (2, 3, or 6, in my example) of consecutive host down events occurs.

And also maybe an option to disable the first host up notification for the first host check when the app first starts up. I think the app should assume the connection has been working the first time it checks and therefore a host up notification is redundant.
I agree.

Now the power is in the skwire roof.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 06:49 PM »
mmmm. I am going to sleep.

I think i have found a very really conflictive wifi connection.  :-\

AsusPortatil - 18_09_2020 , 0_41_19.pngInternet wifi utility
AsusPortatil - 18_09_2020 , 0_41_57.pngInternet wifi utility
AsusPortatil - 18_09_2020 , 0_44_31.pngInternet wifi utility
AsusPortatil - 18_09_2020 , 0_45_05.pngInternet wifi utility

Green connection but there is web....
When I arrive to this situation usually I disconect and reconnect again. Sometimes I pull out the cable to a usb external antenna of 2 watt ALFA Network.

:-[

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 12:14 AM »
If you think it's a WiFi problem I'd be using the ISP's DNS IP, (or one that is in the local region), as the reference point not IPs that are located in another country, (Google's closest seems to be Belgium).

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 05:17 AM »
If you think it's a WiFi problem I'd be using the ISP's DNS IP, (or one that is in the local region), as the reference point not IPs that are located in another country, (Google's closest seems to be Belgium).
Think or not think is a matter of opinion. I believe in Skwire that's my opinion.
I don't really know what to do. A few minutes ago I don't have connection, window appear, but the green light goes on after a second.
I can post now.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 05:33 AM »
Until this moment the effective ways to control my wifi connection are :

Test with uTorrent. If the connection fails I can see clearly with active downloads.
From firefox if I can't browse...
From Firefox when appear a superior warning to reconnect (not always appear)

The rest of methods I apply fails.
From rainmeter network gadget the ip don't dissappear when I pull out the usb cable
From system and skwire wonderful app the signal of disconnection is recognized when i pull the cable usb to the wifi antenna.

So I need a miracle to monitor this connection...